What has been your biggest FAILURE in Life? Admit it

In summary, the conversation revolved around personal regrets and failures. Some of the regrets mentioned were not completing college due to family obligations, not developing a working time machine, and not pursuing a girl from high school. Some of the failures mentioned were not living up to one's potential, not putting enough effort into school or work, and not making the best decisions. However, there were also discussions about learning from mistakes, rectifying past mistakes, and being inspired by others. Other topics that were brought up included being one's own worst critic, not recognizing true beauty, and underestimating the greed and ambitions of others. Overall, the conversation highlighted the importance of learning from past experiences and not letting failures define oneself.
timejim
I think mine was not completing College. I had straight A's in the School of Forestry but my family obligations became such I couldn't continue. I really regret it and my Life has been much harder for it.

Another is not as of yet having developed a working Time Machine.
(probably won't, either)

Physics news on Phys.org
Failing to get with that one girl from high school. Man she was a fox. And smart too.

Not living up to my potential. Not becuase I let everyone else down, but because I let myself down.

Likes fireflies
Yea me too, i have let myself down by not putting enough effort into my school or college work.

Likes fireflies
Considering anything I've done in the past as a failure seems all too self-deprecrating. IMO, failure is only present in the result, and there's always time to derive a different one. If you feel you shouldn't have quit school, go back. If you feel you haven't given something enough attention, do so now. The anticipation of less-than-desirable results is what motivates a lot of people to achieve more. What would life be like making decisions without some trepidation?

Likes fireflies
Originally posted by Descartes
Considering anything I've done in the past as a failure seems all too self-deprecrating. IMO, failure is only present in the result, and there's always time to derive a different one. If you feel you shouldn't have quit school, go back. If you feel you haven't given something enough attention, do so now. The anticipation of less-than-desirable results is what motivates a lot of people to achieve more. What would life be like making decisions without some trepidation?

In the process of rectifying my mistakes as we speak.

Bad money management. My business would be much further along at this point had I looked at needs, instead of attainable wants

Originally posted by Andy
Yea me too, i have let myself down by not putting enough effort into my school or college work.

It did strike me as slightly unusual when you mentioned your were in the automotive field. But then I don't even have a physics degree myself, so I'll just plod on through the glass house.

Originally posted by Descartes
Descartes, you are an inspiration to us all...

I personally do not feel that I have failed in anything. Looking back, I could have made better decisions along the way, but at least I *made* a decision. I learn from my mistakes.

Getting a B in additional math in a crucial exam one and a half years ago. My heart aches everytime I think of it or when others talk about it, especially last year. My life would be totally different if I got A. [b(]

:frown:

edit: In that exam, I misread isosceles triangle as equilatural triangle and lost a lot of marks. That was a long question that worthed 12 marks.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Evo
Descartes, you are an inspiration to us all...

I personally do not feel that I have failed in anything. Looking back, I could have made better decisions along the way, but at least I *made* a decision. I learn from my mistakes.

Very kind words, thank you.

1. Being my worst critic

2. Had I been much decisive, I would've been a med student by now

Last edited:
Origionally posted by Zantra
It did strike me as slightly unusual when you mentioned your were in the automotive field. But then I don't even have a physics degree myself, so I'll just plod on through the glass house.

Yea i had always wanted to get an aprenticeship of some sort when i left school at 16, but i didnt get one so i went to college to pass the time and studied physics and chemistry, but because i didnt try hard enough i didnt do as well in the exams as i know i could have done. So i spent 2 years passing my spare time by studying Physics and Chemistry [?] . I must be Nuts.

no more nuts than the ret of us.. lol

I am still young, but: not recognizing true beauty when it was staring me in the eyes..

Not being together enough in the head as a very young man to have as my approach to a scary world a helpful attitude. Also, I wish I had discovered in my teen years the literature of John Holt and Grace Llewelyn. These days I've managed to extricate the obediance to school from my tissues (takes time and work even after you know better on an intellectual level), but it would have helped in other areas of life to have gotten an earlier start...

I reckon it has to be the same as andy, wasting my time in full time education...hell I am still doing it!

I suppose in retrospect i could say that my main failing is not asserting myself, I am too happy go lucky and carefree to give a crap about important things until after they have happened!

Originally posted by Monique
I am still young, but: not recognizing true beauty when it was staring me in the eyes..

[?] [?] [?]

My biggerst failure: Underestimating the greed and ambitions of others. For years I was a complete sap and it cost me a lot; money and heart. Too much trust.

Sorry, I know this sounds pretty negative but I do consider this my biggest failure and lesson in life.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
[?] [?] [?]
Yes, that was my biggest failure..

caring too much about what other people think, letting life pass me by

Likes fireflies
My lack of will power, every time I tell myself to study more or work harder I never do and I end up stalling. Much like what I am doing now by posting on this forum instead of studying for midterms. I've tried everything to stop my constant stalling. I've set goal and whatever else and nothing seems to work. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

I'll just nod my head and agree with everything you say

Originally posted by DarkAnt
My lack of will power, every time I tell myself to study more or work harder I never do and I end up stalling. Much like what I am doing now by posting on this forum instead of studying for midterms. I've tried everything to stop my constant stalling. I've set goal and whatever else and nothing seems to work. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

Hey Dark Ant,
Perhaps it would help to do what I used to do. First, you can't be around any distractions; focus, focus, focus. Learn to become completely absorbed by the demands of your studies. I made these my highest priority every minute of every day. Take breaks and get some sleep; and surely a little fun is needed from time to time, but if you view your studies as THE thing and not just A thing that you do, then the priorities begin to set themselves. I also found that a few quick games that require complete concentration would sometimes help. Ping Pong was always a favorite of mine.

I noticed that your are on Kwajalein Island. I almost spent some time there - about six months - for the National Missile Defense program. Unfortunately, at the last minute my customer lost the start-up contract for Boeing. I did the initial testing on the launch release system.

I hear the scuba diving is fantastic. Everyone was getting certified until the contract fell through.

Do you see many missile launches?

Edit? Hey! I just remembered, no one lives on Kwajalein.

Last edited:
Life

Hello,
I would say my biggest failure would
1) Thinking too much about what other people with think.
2) Not adjusting with the surrounding, having too much ego
3) I could have been anything I wanted if I had worked hard. I have a masters in electrical and Comp engg with not working too hard. I wish I had more self belief.

But what's gone is gone. I believe I still got what it needs to really make it big in this world.

Hope you guys can help me in giving some advice on being more self confident.

Likes fireflies
decoz said:
Hello,
I would say my biggest failure would
1) Thinking too much about what other people with think.
You just got to learn not to care what people think. At the end of the day, its only their opinions.
3) I could have been anything I wanted if I had worked hard. I have a masters in electrical and Comp engg with not working too hard. I wish I had more self belief.

But what's gone is gone. I believe I still got what it needs to really make it big in this world.
Surely you still can? Just start working now! Use your degree and you can still get a very good job!

My biggest regrets.. hmm.. not passing my driving test 1st time, and then giving up for about 3 years, oh, and letting my (as of last week) ex walk all over me. lol!

oh, just realized this thread is years old!

Last edited:
Maturing too quickly, i should have had more fun! (Not that i can't :rofl: )

Being an introvert for most of my teenage years. I wish I could relive those days in a better way.

Reading through an entire thread and then noticing that it was 3 years old. :P

That and not working hard enough in jr.high/most of sr.high... Although it doesn't really matter anymore since I am more then caught up now that my attitude has changed, it made it hard to catch up.

Reading through an entire thread and then noticing that it was 3 years old. :P
lol, all thanks to decoz. Like how in the world did he find this.

I found that becuase I am unhappy about my progress.

biggest in terms of measuring my progress against what was needed for success, i'd say it was not proving the hodge conjecture, or actually not even learning precisely what it says.

in other realms, as one of my friends' coffee mug says, most of my money i spent on whiskey and women - the rest of it i just wasted.

In the end, I think that worrying about what you did wrong is pointless. Worrying about what you can do correctly now is what matters.

I like analogies a lot... Let's say that when you were younger, you put a big giant stone infront of your house so that you can't get in. Now you could stand in front of the door and cuss at yourself for being so stupid to put that huge stone infront of your door and accomplish nothing, or you could slowly work at moving it, or if you really wanted to enjoy your house, you could just break in the window.

As you can see, I am not very good with analogies, but I do think that it gets a point across... lol

Guys and Gals

Life is not the amount of breaths you take it is the moments that take your breath away.

BY
RN

Thank You, Remember this and you will never feel unhappiness.

My greatest failure is losing the woman I loved through awful neuroses. That and being lazy. :cry: