Proving Trig Statements: cos^2 + cos^4 + ... + cos^30 ≈ 15cos^11.38211

• Thread starter icystrike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving proving two equations involving powers of cosine. The first equation involves powers of even numbers and the second equation involves powers of odd numbers. The conversation also mentions a geometric series and a formula for simplifying it.
icystrike

Homework Statement

Show that [tex]cos^{2}(\theta)+cos^{4}(\theta)+cos^{6}(\theta)+cos^{8}(\theta)\approx 4cos^{4.3128}(\theta) , \mid\theta\mid\leq\pi/2[/tex]

and

[tex]cos^{2}(\theta)+cos^{4}+...+cos^{30}(\theta)\approx 15cos^{11.38211}(\theta) , \mid\theta\mid\leq\pi/2[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Any method?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Well, I don't see how to prove it. Can you give us the context where this problem came from? Where did you find it?

1/(1-x) = 1+x+x^2+...

Isn't there a similar formula if the series terminates?

LCKurtz: I've actually came up with this question myself cos i saw this relationship for any sum of even power cosine while doing a problem ...

Berko: What do u exactly mean? Please enlighten me :)

Berko said:
1/(1-x) = 1+x+x^2+...

Isn't there a similar formula if the series terminates?

Sure, the problem is a geometric series. And

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^4 \cos^{2k}(\theta) = \frac{\cos^2(\theta)-\cos^{10}(\theta)}{1-\cos^2(\theta)}[/tex]

How does that help?

Yes! I do recognise that this is a geometric series but nevertheless this cannot lead us to further simplification...

hmm yah I simplified somewhat but not sure where those exponents come from.

Related to Proving Trig Statements: cos^2 + cos^4 + ... + cos^30 ≈ 15cos^11.38211

1. What is the purpose of proving trigonometric statements?

Proving trigonometric statements is important because it allows us to verify and validate the relationships between various trigonometric functions and identities. It also helps us understand the geometric and algebraic properties of these functions.

2. How can we prove a trigonometric statement like cos^2 + cos^4 + ... + cos^30 ≈ 15cos^11.38211?

There are various methods for proving trigonometric statements, but in this case, we can use the concept of geometric series to prove the given statement. We can write the expression as a sum of a geometric series with a common ratio of cos^2 and then apply the formula for the sum of a geometric series to get the desired result.

3. Why is it important to have an approximation for the statement instead of an exact value?

In many real-world applications, it is not possible to obtain exact values for trigonometric functions. Therefore, having an approximation allows us to make accurate estimates and predictions in these situations. Additionally, proving an exact value for a trigonometric statement may require complex mathematical techniques, whereas an approximation can be easily obtained using simpler methods.

4. Can we prove this statement using a different method?

Yes, there are multiple methods for proving trigonometric statements. In addition to using geometric series, we can also use algebraic manipulation, trigonometric identities, and other mathematical techniques to prove this statement.

5. How can we apply this statement in practical situations?

This statement may have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to calculate the sum of cosines in a series of oscillating forces or voltages. It can also be applied in signal processing to analyze the amplitude of a signal with multiple cosine components.