Proving Total Covariant/Total Partial Derivative EFE Derivation

In summary, Jacobi's formula tells you how to calculate the derivative of the determinant of a matrix.
binbagsss
I'm trying to prove that ##\sqrt{-g}\bigtriangledown_{\mu}v^{\mu}=\partial_{\mu}(\sqrt{-g}v^{\mu}) ##

So i have ##\sqrt{-g}\bigtriangledown_{\mu}v^{\mu}=\sqrt{-g}(\partial_{\mu}v^{mu}+\Gamma^{\mu}_{\mu \alpha}v^{\alpha}) ## by just expanding out the definition of the covariant derivative.

Question

My text next makes the equality :
##\sqrt{-g}(\partial_{\mu}v^{mu}+\Gamma^{\mu}_{\mu \alpha}v^{\alpha}=\sqrt{-g}(\partial_{\mu}v^{mu}+(\partial_{\alpha} ln \sqrt{-g})v^{\alpha}\sqrt{-g}=\partial_{\mu}(v^{\mu}\sqrt{-g}##

I don't understand the last 2 equalities.

Particularity the second to last. I have no idea how you go from the connection term to the ##ln## term, if anyone could provide the identities I need or link me somewhere useful (had a google but couldn't find anything)

I think the last equality has used the product rule.
I'm unsure, if this is correct, of differentiating the ##\sqrt{-g}## to go from the last equality to the second from last, the identities I know that might be of use are:

##Tr (ln M) = In (det M)##
##\partial \sqrt{-g}=\frac{-1}{2}\sqrt{-g}g_{\mu \nu}g^{\nu \mu} ##

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
##\partial \sqrt{-g}=\frac{-1}{2}\sqrt{-g}g_{\mu \nu}g^{\nu \mu} ##
You need to generalize that last one to ##\partial_\alpha##.

The details of Jacobi's formula for the derivative of the determinant might be helpful.

strangerep said:
You need to generalize that last one to ##\partial_\alpha##.

The details of Jacobi's formula for the derivative of the determinant might be helpful.

I've used this to attain the last identity given in the OP.
This is for the 2nd to 3rd equality right?
I'm still really unsure what to do, could anybody give me a hint?

Also any identites for the 1st and 2nd equality? I've never seen anything like the connection being expressed as something like that.
Thanks.

There seems to be an unmatched parenthesis in your main equation in post #1.

For the step from 1st to 2nd expressions, study more carefully the meaning of "adjugate" that was mentioned in the Wiki entry on Jacobi's formula. Also, the relationships among "adjugate", "cofactor" and "inverse".

BTW, help sometimes arrives faster if one makes the effort to include a precise reference in one's OP, i.e., which textbook, and which equation or page number therein.

Last edited:

Related to Proving Total Covariant/Total Partial Derivative EFE Derivation

1. What is the purpose of proving Total Covariant/Total Partial Derivative EFE Derivation?

The purpose of proving Total Covariant/Total Partial Derivative EFE Derivation is to show the relationship between the Einstein field equations and the total covariant derivative of the metric tensor. This proof is important in understanding the behavior of space and time in the presence of matter and energy.

2. What is the significance of the Einstein field equations in physics?

The Einstein field equations are a set of equations that describe the curvature of spacetime in the presence of matter and energy. They are a cornerstone of Einstein's theory of general relativity and have been used to make predictions about the behavior of gravity and the structure of the universe.

3. How is the total covariant derivative of the metric tensor related to the Einstein field equations?

The total covariant derivative of the metric tensor is related to the Einstein field equations through the Ricci tensor. The Ricci tensor is a key component of the Einstein field equations and is used to describe the curvature of spacetime.

4. What are some applications of the Total Covariant/Total Partial Derivative EFE Derivation?

The Total Covariant/Total Partial Derivative EFE Derivation has a wide range of applications in physics and astrophysics. It is used in studying the behavior of gravity in the presence of matter and energy, understanding the formation of black holes, and making predictions about the structure and evolution of the universe.

5. Are there any limitations to the Total Covariant/Total Partial Derivative EFE Derivation?

Like any mathematical proof, the Total Covariant/Total Partial Derivative EFE Derivation has its limitations. It is based on certain assumptions and approximations, and may not hold true in extreme scenarios such as near singularities. Additionally, it is a highly complex and advanced concept that may be difficult to grasp without a strong background in mathematics and physics.