Proving the Relationship Between Integrals and Root Pi Using Multiple Integrals

In summary, Daniel is trying to solve a problem in a textbook using a multiple integral and he's stuck on one step. He's looking for help from someone who knows latex and finds a theorem that he can use.
eddo
A problem in my textbook guides you through this proof using a multiple integral.

I follow the whole thing except for one step. It requires that you show that (sorry don't know latex, I(a,b) will denote integral from a to b, e the exponential)

[I(-x,x)e^(-u^2)du]^2=I(R)e^(-u^2-v^2)dudv

where R is the rectangle such that u and v lie between plus and minus x and the second integral is a multiple integral over this region.

How can you prove this? I tried working with the Riemann definitions of integrals but couldn't get anywhere. Thank you in advance for any help.

by they way, could anyone post the above equation in Latex so I can see how it would be done? Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
U can prove this

[tex]\left[\int_{-x}^{x} e^{-u^{2}} \ du \right]^{2}=\int_{-x}^{x}\ du \int_{-x}^{x} dv \ e^{-u^{2}-v^{2}} [/tex]

using FUBINI's theorem.So how about opening your book at this theorem...?

Daniel.

Notice that [tex]\left[\int_{-x}^x e^{-u^2}du\right]^2[/tex]
is the same as [tex]\left[\int_{-x}^x e^{-u^2}du\right]\left[\int_{-x}^x e^{-v^2}dv\right][/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately my book doesn't have Fubini's theorem, or more likely it just isn't calling it that. HallsofIvy, I know that it can be rewritten in that way, but from there how do you know that you can multiply the two functions? I searched for Fubini's theorem online and the versions I found only said that you can switch the order of the iterated integral. How can this be used to prove the desired result?

In an iterated integral, if the integrand can be factored into functions of only one of the variables to be integrated, you can always split it up into several multiplied integrals and visa-versa. Let [itex]F(x), \ G(y)[/itex] be antiderivatives of [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]g(y)[/itex], respectively. Then

[tex] \int_a^b \int_c^d f(x)g(y) \ dx \ dy = \int_a^b \left[ g(y) \int_c^d f(x) dx \right] \ dy = \int_a^b g(y) \left( F(d) - F(c) \right) \ dy = \left(F(d) - F(c)\right) \int_a^b g(y) \ dy [/tex]

[tex]=\left(F(d) - F(c)\right)\left(G(b) - G(a)\right) = \int_c^d f(x) \ dx \int_a^b g(y) \ dy[/tex]

eddo said:
Unfortunately my book doesn't have Fubini's theorem, or more likely it just isn't calling it that. HallsofIvy, I know that it can be rewritten in that way, but from there how do you know that you can multiply the two functions? I searched for Fubini's theorem online and the versions I found only said that you can switch the order of the iterated integral. How can this be used to prove the desired result?

Out of curiosity, I googled on "Fubini's Theorem" and the very first hit was
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fubini's_theorem"
which includes the fact that the doubled integral is equal to the product of two integrals (PROVIDED F(x,y)= f(x)g(y) and the region of integration is a rectangle).

In fact, I just notice that this theorem is an EXERCISE on page 968 of Salas, Helle, and Etgen's "Calculus", edition 9.

The basic idea is this:
[tex]\int_{x=a}^b\int_{y= c}^d f(x)g(y) dydx = \int_{x=a}^bf(x)\left[\int_{y=c}^d g(y)dy\right]dx[/tex]
because f(x) is a "constant" does not involve y and so can be treated like a constant (that is, taken out the integral) when integrating with respect to y.

But [tex]\int_{y=c}^d g(y)dy[/tex] is a constant, a number. We can take that out of the x-integration:
[tex]\int_{x=a}^b\int_{y= c}^d f(x)g(y) dydx= \left[\int_{x=a}^b f(x)dx\right]\left[\int_{y=c}^d g(y)dy\right][/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Totally makes sense now, I was making the problem too complicated the way I was thinking about it.

You must realize that the integral u're computing is solvable only for an infinite domain,like the real axis,or the positive semiaxis.

Daniel.

I don't know, maybe I'm just mising stuf. Anyway, looks like to me, need to show:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

So, let:

[tex]A=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

thus:

[tex]A^2=[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx]^2[/tex]

As per Hall:

[tex]A^2=\left[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-u^2}du\right]\left[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-v^2}dv\right][/tex]

Converting to polar coordinates:

[tex]A^2=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_0^{\infty} e^{-r^2}rdrd\theta[/tex]

That one's doable so:

[tex]A^2=\pi}[/tex]

Hence:

[tex]A=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

Don't quite understand how Fubini's theorm enters the equation though since really don't need to switch the order of integration as I see it.

It does.U define the square of the initial integral as

[tex] \iint_{R^{2}} e^{-u^{2}-v^{2}} \ du \ dv [/tex]

Fubini's theorem assures that u can u can identify the square of the initial integral with the double integral on R^{2}...

Daniel.

Related to Proving the Relationship Between Integrals and Root Pi Using Multiple Integrals

What is the "Proof that integral = root pi"?

The "Proof that integral = root pi" is a mathematical proof that shows the relationship between the integral of a function and the value of the square root of pi.

Why is this proof important?

This proof is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between integrals and pi, which is a fundamental constant in mathematics. It also has many applications in various fields of science and engineering.

What is the significance of the square root of pi in this proof?

The square root of pi is significant in this proof because it is a constant that appears in many mathematical equations and has a special relationship with the area of a circle. In this proof, it serves as a bridge between the integral and pi.

How was this proof discovered?

This proof was first discovered by mathematician Joseph Fourier in the 19th century. He used a technique called Fourier analysis to derive the relationship between the integral and pi.

What are the applications of this proof?

This proof has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used in the calculation of areas, volumes, and probabilities, making it an essential tool in solving real-life problems.