Proving the Pythagorean Theorem

In summary, the Pythagorean theorem can be proven in modern mathematics by accepting the definition of length as ##d(x,y) = \sqrt{\sum_{k} |x_k-y_k|^2}##. However, if a different definition is accepted, the proof becomes much more difficult. This shows that proofs are relative to the axioms and definitions used.
Someone2841
I am wondering what it means to "prove" the Pythagorean Theorem in modern mathematics. Most real analysis begins with the following definition of the n-dimensional Euclidean metric:

##d(x,y) = |y-x| = \sqrt{\sum\limits_{i=0}^{n} (y_i-x_i)^2}##

This would seem to directly imply the Pythagorean theorem!

##d(<0,0>,<a,b>) = |<a,b>| = \sqrt{a^2+b^2} \implies |<a,b>|^2 = a^2+b^2##

What bearing do these have, then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem#Proofs

Physics news on Phys.org
A proof is always relative to an axiom system and to the definitions you accept. In your proof above you have accepted the definition that length is ##d(x,y) = \sqrt{\sum_{k} |x_k-y_k|^2}##. This makes the Pythagorean theorem trivial.

However, if you don't accept that definition of length, but rather some other definition, then the Pythagorean theorem is much more difficult to prove. The usual proofs of the Pythagorean theorem depend on axioms and definitions which don't make the theorem trivial.

Related to Proving the Pythagorean Theorem

1. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. Who discovered the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras, although it is believed that it was known and used by many ancient civilizations before him.

3. How can the Pythagorean Theorem be proven?

There are several different ways to prove the Pythagorean Theorem, including geometric proofs, algebraic proofs, and even visual proofs. One of the most common methods is the geometric proof using squares and triangles.

4. Why is the Pythagorean Theorem important?

The Pythagorean Theorem is important because it is a fundamental principle in mathematics and has a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It also serves as the basis for many other mathematical concepts and theorems.

5. Can the Pythagorean Theorem be used in non-right triangles?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles. However, there are other theorems and formulas that can be used to find the length of sides or angles in non-right triangles, such as the Law of Cosines and the Law of Sines.