Proving the Linear Transformation definition

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a linear transformation property and how it can be used to prove the same property for real numbers. The book being referred to uses a tricky proof method and the images shown do not provide a clear understanding. The conversation ends with a discussion about the continuity of the function being necessary for the proof to hold for irrational numbers.
Aleoa
HI .I'm trying to prove that, for a linear transformation, it is worth that:

[tex]f(a\bar{x}+b\bar{y})=af(\bar{x})+bf(\bar{y})[/tex] for every real numbers a and b.

Until now, I have proved by myself that

[tex]f(\bar{x}+\bar{y})=f(\bar{x})+f(\bar{y})[/tex].

and , using this result i proved that:

[tex]f(a\bar{v}) = f(\sum\bar{v})\text{(Sum it $a$ times)}[/tex].
[tex]=\sum f(\bar{v})[/tex].
[tex]=af(\bar{v})[/tex].
for every integer a.

How can I use this result in order to prove that
[tex]f(a\bar{v}) = af(\bar{v})[/tex]
for every [tex]a\in \mathbb{R} [/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The result you are trying to prove is the definition of a linear transformation. You can't prove this.

Hi @PeroK . Thanks for the reply.
I don't know, my book says it's possible to derive this result as i asked in my first post, even if it doesn't show how.

I upload the book's section I'm referring:
Schermata del 2018-03-27 08-53-27.png
Schermata del 2018-03-27 08-52-52.png

The book doens't start with the definition of Linear Trasformation, but try to deduce it.

Attachments

• Schermata del 2018-03-27 08-53-27.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 459
  • Schermata del 2018-03-27 08-53-27.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 518
  • Schermata del 2018-03-27 08-52-52.png
    34 KB · Views: 531
How is ##f## defined?

Simply says that f is a one-to-one affine trasformation that keeps the origin fixed.
Before, it says that the affine trasformation is a trasformation that carries lines to lines

Aleoa said:
Simply says that f is a one-to-one affine trasformation that keeps the origin fixed.
Before, it says that the affine trasformation is a trasformation that carries lines to lines

Don't you think it might have been important to say that in the OP?

PeroK said:
Don't you think it might have been important to say that in the OP?

I'm sorry. I'm here for improving :)

Anyone ?

Well, in the section you quoted, it says "The proof of this fact is a little tricky, and we will prove it in an appendix..."

Likes Aleoa
What i don't understand are the deductions done by my book, and you can see them in the 2 pictures i posted.

[tex]f(a\bar{v}) = f(\sum\bar{v})\text{(Sum it $a$ times)}[/tex].
[tex]=\sum f(\bar{v})[/tex].
[tex]=af(\bar{v})[/tex].
for every integer a.

One thing I am not able to understand is how use this demonstration in order to prove
[tex]f(a\bar{v}) =af(\bar{v})[/tex].
for every rational a.

My book does this implicitly in this image, but i don't understand what it did...

Attachments

• Schermata del 2018-03-27 08-52-52.png
    34 KB · Views: 733
Aleoa said:
One thing I am not able to understand is how use this demonstration in order to prove
[tex]f(a\bar{v}) =af(\bar{v})[/tex].
for every rational a.

My book does this implicitly in this image, but i don't understand what it did...

View attachment 222881

I'm not sure about the picture, either. But it seems to me that if it's true for integers, it has to be true for rationals, as well.

##f(n \cdot \frac{x}{n}) = n f(\frac{x}{n})##

Therefore, ##f(\frac{x}{n}) = \frac{1}{n} f(x)##.

##f(\frac{m}{n} \cdot x) = m f(\frac{x}{n}) = \frac{m}{n} f(x)##

Likes Aleoa
stevendaryl said:
I'm not sure about the picture, either. But it seems to me that if it's true for integers, it has to be true for rationals, as well.

##f(n \cdot \frac{x}{n}) = n f(\frac{x}{n})##

Therefore, ##f(\frac{x}{n}) = \frac{1}{n} f(x)##.

##f(\frac{m}{n} \cdot x) = m f(\frac{x}{n}) = \frac{m}{n} f(x)##

Thanks so much. Why can't i directly derive this proof to real values of a ?

Aleoa said:
Thanks so much. Why can't i directly derive this proof to real values of a ?

Well, this is a pretty lame example, but suppose I define ##f(x)## this way:
  • If ##x## is rational, then ##f(x) = x##
  • If ##x## is irrational, then ##f(x) = 2x##
If ##q## is rational, then ##f(qx) = q f(x)##. But if ##q = \sqrt{2}## and ##x = \sqrt{2}##, then ##f(qx) = f(2) = 2##, but ##q f(x) = \sqrt{2} f(\sqrt{2}) = 4##

You need to know that ##f(x)## is continuous in order to prove ##f(qx) = q f(x)## when ##q## is irrational.

Related to Proving the Linear Transformation definition

1. What is the definition of a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps points from one vector space to another, while preserving the vector operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you prove that a function is a linear transformation?

To prove that a function is a linear transformation, you must show that it satisfies two properties: additivity and homogeneity. This means that for any two vectors x and y in the domain of the function and any scalar c, the function must satisfy f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) and f(cx) = cf(x).

3. What is the significance of proving a function is a linear transformation?

Proving that a function is a linear transformation allows us to use powerful tools and techniques from linear algebra to analyze and solve problems. It also helps us understand how different vector spaces are related and how they can be transformed.

4. Can a linear transformation have more than one input and output?

Yes, a linear transformation can have multiple inputs and outputs. For example, a linear transformation can map a vector in a three-dimensional space to a vector in a two-dimensional space.

5. Are all linear transformations invertible?

No, not all linear transformations are invertible. A linear transformation is invertible if and only if its associated matrix is invertible, which means that its determinant is not equal to zero.