Proving the Limit of (x^2-1)=3 using Epsilon-Delta Definition

In summary, if |x+2| < 1 then |x2 - 4| < 5. So if x+2 is less than \epsilon/|x-2| then x-2 will be less than \epsilon.
0range

Homework Statement

Prove each statement using the epsilon delta definition of limit.

lim [tex](x^2-1)=3[/tex]
x -> -2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Given E > 0, we need D > 0 such that if [tex]|x-(-2)|<D[/tex] then [tex]|(x^2-4|<E[/tex].

If [tex]|x+2|<1[/tex], then [tex]-1<x+2<1[/tex] [tex]-5<x-2<-3[/tex] [tex]|x-2|<5[/tex].

Here's where I'm lost... my answer key says to take [tex]D=min{E/5,1}[/tex] but I don't understand why this is.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
0range said:

Homework Statement

Prove each statement using the epsilon delta definition of limit.

lim [tex](x^2-1)=3[/tex]
x -> -2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Given E > 0, we need D > 0 such that if [tex]|x-(-2)|<D[/tex] then [tex]|(x^2-4|<E[/tex].

If [tex]|x+2|<1[/tex], then [tex]-1<x+2<1[/tex] [tex]-5<x-2<-3[/tex] [tex]|x-2|<5[/tex].

Here's where I'm lost... my answer key says to take [tex]D=min{E/5,1}[/tex] but I don't understand why this is.

Thanks in advance.

So if |x+2| < 1 what would be your overestimate for

|x2 - 4| = |(x+2)(x-2)| ?

This is what you are trying to make small. How close to -2 does x have to be?

Sorry... I don't know how to figure that out.

You want to make [itex]|(x+2)(x- 2)|< \epsilon[/itex]. That's the same as [itex]|x+ 2|< \epsilon/|x- 2|[/itex]

Now, you have calculated that -5< x- 2< -3 so that 3<|x- 2< 5. The one you really want is 3< |x- 2|. That way, 1/|x- 2|> 1/3 and so [itex]\epsilon/|x-2|> \epsilon/3[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
LCKurtz said:
So if |x+2| < 1 what would be your overestimate for

|x2 - 4| = |(x+2)(x-2)| ?

This is what you are trying to make small. How close to -2 does x have to be?

0range said:
Sorry... I don't know how to figure that out.

If |x+2| < 1 you have shown that |(x-2)| < 5. So

|x2 - 4| = |(x+2)(x-2)| < 5|(x+2)|

How small does |x+2| need to be to make this less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex]? Answer that and you will see where the book's answer comes from.

I think I get it now... when I'm home from work I'll sit down, work through it and post the answer.

Thanks again, your help is very appreciated guys.

Related to Proving the Limit of (x^2-1)=3 using Epsilon-Delta Definition

1. What is the purpose of an Epsilon/Delta Limit Exercise?

The purpose of an Epsilon/Delta Limit Exercise is to help students understand the concept of limits in calculus. It is a common exercise in which students are given a function and a specific value, and they must determine the limit of the function at that value using the epsilon-delta definition.

2. How do I solve an Epsilon/Delta Limit Exercise?

To solve an Epsilon/Delta Limit Exercise, you must follow a specific set of steps. First, choose a value for epsilon (ε). Then, use algebraic manipulation to find a value for delta (δ) that will satisfy the epsilon-delta definition. Finally, plug in the value of delta into the original definition of the limit to determine if it is true or false.

3. What is the difference between one-sided and two-sided limits in an Epsilon/Delta Limit Exercise?

In an Epsilon/Delta Limit Exercise, a one-sided limit is when you are only considering the values of the function approaching the given value from one direction (either left or right). A two-sided limit is when you are considering the values approaching the given value from both directions.

4. Can Epsilon/Delta Limit Exercises be solved without using algebra?

No, Epsilon/Delta Limit Exercises cannot be solved without using algebra. The epsilon-delta definition of a limit involves algebraic manipulation to find a value for delta that satisfies the given value of epsilon. Without using algebra, it would be impossible to determine if a limit is true or false.

5. How can Epsilon/Delta Limit Exercises be applied in real-world scenarios?

Epsilon/Delta Limit Exercises have many real-world applications, especially in physics and engineering. For example, they can be used to determine the velocity of an object at a given time, or the concentration of a chemical in a reaction at a specific point in time. They are also used in computer science and data analysis to determine the accuracy and precision of algorithms and measurements.