Proving the Identity to Demonstrating Finite Orthonormal Bases

In summary, to prove that Ʃ\<e_i|\psi\>\<e_i| = I, you can use the spectral theorem and the fact that e_i refers to a finite orthonormal basis. This will allow you to express an arbitrary vector \psi in terms of the orthonormal basis, which will lead to the desired answer.
franklampard8
How do I prove that

Ʃ\ket{ei} \bra{ei} = I

Physics news on Phys.org
franklampard8 said:
How do I prove that
[tex]
\def\<{\langle}
\def\>{\rangle}
\sum_i |e_i\>\<e_i| ~=~ 1
[/tex]

It depends on the context, and precisely what your [itex]e_i[/itex] stand for.

As a general suggestion, start by looking up the "spectral theorem" in a linear algebra textbook. (Wikipedia gives an overview, though not the details.)

strangerep said:
It depends on the context, and precisely what your [itex]e_i[/itex] stand for.

As a general suggestion, start by looking up the "spectral theorem" in a linear algebra textbook. (Wikipedia gives an overview, though not the details.)

[itex]e_i[/itex] refers to a finite orthonormal basis

franklampard8 said:
[itex]e_i[/itex] refers to a finite orthonormal basis

OK, so if you write out how an arbitrary vector [itex]\psi[/itex] is expressed in terms of that orthonormal basis, the desired answer should then follow almost immediately.

Related to Proving the Identity to Demonstrating Finite Orthonormal Bases

1. What is the "Resolution of the Identity" method in quantum chemistry?

The "Resolution of the Identity" (RI) method is a computational approach used in quantum chemistry to approximate the integrals involved in the calculation of molecular properties. It is based on the idea of expanding the molecular orbitals into a set of auxiliary basis functions, which leads to a significant reduction in the computational cost.

2. How does the RI method improve the efficiency of quantum chemical calculations?

The RI method reduces the computational cost by replacing the traditional 4-index electron repulsion integral with a 3-index integral. This is achieved by approximating the Coulomb and exchange terms using auxiliary basis functions, which are precomputed and stored in a lookup table. This leads to a significant reduction in the number of operations required for the calculation, resulting in faster and more accurate results.

3. What are the limitations of the RI method in quantum chemistry?

Although the RI method is widely used in quantum chemistry, it has some limitations. One of the main limitations is that it is not suitable for systems with a high density of electrons, such as transition metal complexes. In addition, the accuracy of the results obtained using the RI method may be compromised in certain cases, such as when studying systems with strong electron correlation.

4. How is the accuracy of the RI method evaluated?

The accuracy of the RI method is usually evaluated by comparing the results obtained using the RI approximation with those obtained from the traditional 4-index integral method. In general, the RI method is found to produce results that are in good agreement with the traditional method, with only minor differences in some cases.

5. What are some applications of the RI method in quantum chemistry?

The RI method has a wide range of applications in quantum chemistry, including the calculation of molecular energies, geometries, and properties such as dipole moments and polarizabilities. It is also used in the study of reaction mechanisms and the prediction of spectroscopic properties. The efficiency and accuracy of the RI method make it a valuable tool in various areas of theoretical chemistry.