Proving the Congruence of Primes of the Form x² + 5y² (mod 20)

In summary, the conversation is about proving that if $p$ is an odd prime expressible as $p=x^2+5y^2$ where $x$ and $y$ are integers, then $p \equiv 1 \text{ or }9\text{ (mod 20)}$. This can be proven using basic genus theory, and the question was whether the question had a typo. The original question is correct and the proof follows the interpretation given by Balarka.
Shobhit
If $p$ is an odd prime expressible as
$$p=x^2+5y^2$$
where $x,y$ are integers, then prove that $p \equiv 1 \text{ or }9\text{ (mod 20)}$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Primes of the form $x^2+5y^2$

Very nice, I like this one. The proof follows immediately from basic genus theory, and I am not going to post it down here (spoiler purpose).

For beginners, I would give a hint :

A prime of the particular form is of the form 1, 3, 7 or 9 modulo 20

Balarka

Shobhit said:
If $p$ is an odd prime expressible as
$$p=x^2+5y^2$$
where $x,y$ are integers, then prove that $p \equiv 1 \text{ or }9\text{ (mod 20)}$.

It must be necessarly x even and y odd or x odd and y even. In the first case You set x = 2 n and y = 2 m + 1 so that is...

$\displaystyle p = 4\ n^{2} + 20\ m^{2} + 20\ m + 5\ (1)$

... and then...

$\displaystyle p \equiv 4\ n^{2} + 5\ \text{mod}\ 20\ (2)$

Observing (2) it is evident that $\displaystyle p \equiv 1\ \text {mod}\ 20$ or $\displaystyle p \equiv 9\ \text {mod}\ 20$. The same result You obtaining supposing x odd and y even...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

How does (2) follows from (1)?

mathbalarka said:
How does (2) follows from (1)?

I made a mistake writing $\displaystyle p \equiv 4\ n^{2}\ \text{mod}\ 20$ instead of $\displaystyle p \equiv 4\ n^{2} + 5\ \text{mod}\ 20$, so that I corrected it... very sorry! (Angry) ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Ah, I see, I have interpreted the question wrong. I interpreted is as : p is an odd prime expressible as x^2 + 5y^2 if and only if p is 1 or 9 modulo 20.

But perhaps OP must have intended exactly this? Can Shobhit clarify whether he did a typo or not?

mathbalarka said:
Ah, I see, I have interpreted the question wrong. I interpreted is as : p is an odd prime expressible as x^2 + 5y^2 if and only if p is 1 or 9 modulo 20.

But perhaps OP must have intended exactly this? Can Shobhit clarify whether he did a typo or not?

Balarka, the question is correct. You had interpreted it correctly.

Shobhit said:
Balarka, the question is correct. You had interpreted it correctly.

I see, thank you for clarifying.

One can carry on with my hints on the #2 then.

Last edited:

Related to Proving the Congruence of Primes of the Form x² + 5y² (mod 20)

What are "Primes of the form x² + 5y²"?

"Primes of the form x² + 5y²" are prime numbers that can be written as the sum of a perfect square and five times another perfect square. In other words, they can be expressed in the form x² + 5y², where both x and y are integers.

How are "Primes of the form x² + 5y²" different from regular prime numbers?

"Primes of the form x² + 5y²" are a subset of all prime numbers and have a specific mathematical form. Regular prime numbers can be expressed in various forms and do not necessarily follow a specific pattern.

What is the significance of studying "Primes of the form x² + 5y²"?

The study of "Primes of the form x² + 5y²" is important in number theory and has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and elliptic curves. It also has practical applications in cryptography and coding theory.

How are "Primes of the form x² + 5y²" related to the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is closely related to "Primes of the form x² + 5y²". In fact, every prime number of the form x² + 5y² is either a member of the Fibonacci sequence or can be expressed as a sum or difference of two consecutive Fibonacci numbers.

Are there any unsolved problems related to "Primes of the form x² + 5y²"?

Yes, there are several unsolved problems related to "Primes of the form x² + 5y²". One notable example is the Bunyakovsky conjecture, which states that the polynomial x² + 1 always produces infinitely many primes when substituted with integer values. This conjecture has been proven for certain values of y, but remains open for the case of y = 5.