Proving that two integrals of potential energy are equal

There is also the notation ##\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{y} f(\vec{x}, \vec{y})##, which is a shorthand for ##\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{y} f(\vec{x}, \vec{y}).##In summary, the conversation revolves around proving the equality of two integrals representing the total energy of an electric field. The first integral is derived from the given equation using Poisson's equation,
Buffu
I want to prove ##\displaystyle U = {1\over 8\pi}\int \vec E \cdot \vec E dV## and ##\displaystyle U = \frac12 \int \phi \rho dV## are equal.

I started with ##\nabla \cdot (\phi \nabla\phi) =(\nabla \phi)^2 + \phi \nabla^2 \phi##'

Then

##\displaystyle {1\over 8\pi}\int \vec E \cdot \vec E dV = {1\over 8\pi}\int \nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \phi dV = {1\over 8\pi}\int \nabla \cdot (\phi \nabla\phi) - \phi \nabla^2 \phi dV = {1\over 8\pi}\int \nabla \cdot (\phi \nabla\phi) dV - {1\over 8\pi}\int \phi \nabla^2 \phi dV ##

By poisson's equation, ##\nabla^2 \phi = 4\pi \rho##

So, ##\displaystyle {1\over 2}\int \rho \phi dV##

So I guess I need to prove ##\displaystyle {1\over 8\pi}\int \nabla \cdot (\phi \nabla\phi) dV## is zero

Using divergence theorem,

## \displaystyle {1\over 8\pi}\int \nabla \cdot (\phi \nabla\phi) dV = {1\over 8\pi}\int (\phi \nabla \phi)\cdot d\vec a##

Now I don't have any clue what to do, I guess I need to use ##-\nabla \phi = \vec E## but I don't know how.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't you flipped a sign?
You have ##-\displaystyle {1\over 2}\int \rho \phi dV##, but you want ##+\displaystyle {1\over 2}\int \rho \phi dV##

haruspex said:
Haven't you flipped a sign?
You have ##-\displaystyle {1\over 2}\int \rho \phi dV##, but you want ##+\displaystyle {1\over 2}\int \rho \phi dV##

I made a typo in poisson's equation, it is ##\nabla^2 \phi = -4\pi\rho## so they got cancelled.

First note that you want to find the total energy of the electric field,
$$U=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \frac{\vec{E}^2}{8 \pi}.$$
It's safe to assume that you have a your charge distribution in a finite volume (it's most realistic ;-)). Then from the result I also guess you deal with stationary states, i.e., time-independent fields, where ##\vec{E}## has a potential, i.e.,
$$\vec{E}=-\vec{\nabla} \phi.$$
Then you can use
$$\vec{E}^2=-\vec{E} \cdot \vec{\nabla} \phi = - E_j \partial_j \phi=-[\partial_j (E_j \phi)-\phi \partial_{j} E_j]=-\vec{\nabla} \cdot (\phi \vec{E})+\phi \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}.$$
For the 2nd term you use Gauss's Law (which is one of Maxwell's Equations)
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=4 \pi \rho.$$
Then we get
$$\vec{E}^2=-\vec{\nabla} \cdot(\phi \vec{E})+4 \pi \phi \rho.$$
Now we have to integrate that. Let's start with the first term. Because it's a divergence, we can use Gauss's Integral Theorem. So let's assume some large volume ##V## with a boundary surface ##\partial V##. Then we get
$$\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \vec{\nabla} \cdot (\phi \vec{E})=\int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot (\phi \vec{E}).$$
Now take ##V## to be a sphere of radius ##R## around the origin. Since our charge distribution is assumed to occupy only some finite volume, and we can also assume that this is located around the origin of our coordinate system, we know that ##\phi \sim 1/r## and ##\vec{E} \sim 1/r^2## for large ##r##. This implies that the surface integral goes like ##1/R##. So in the limit ##R \rightarrow \infty## this surface contribution vanishes, and we are left with the 2nd part. So finally we indeed get
$$U=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \frac{1}{2} \rho \phi.$$

Likes Buffu
vanhees71 said:
Now take ##V## to be a sphere of radius ##R## around the origin. Since our charge distribution is assumed to occupy only some finite volume, and we can also assume that this is located around the origin of our coordinate system, we know that ##\phi \sim 1/r## and ##\vec{E} \sim 1/r^2## for large ##r##. This implies that the surface integral goes like ##1/R##. So in the limit ##R \rightarrow \infty## this surface contribution vanishes, and we are left with the 2nd part. So finally we indeed get
$$U=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \frac{1}{2} \rho \phi.$$

Two things,

One, Is the equivalence of these two integrals only when the surface is very large ? I think so because you used ##R \to \infty##.

Second, Why you write ##d (...)## before the actual function ? :)

It's the total field energy. So you have to integrate over all space, and thus the surface of the volume is at infinity.

I use the physicists' notation for integrals, where the integral sign together with the ##\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}## acts as an operator on the integrand. I think it's a very clear notation, because you see at once wrt. to which variables you integrate. That's particularly convenient when you have nested integrals.

Related to Proving that two integrals of potential energy are equal

1. How do you prove that two integrals of potential energy are equal?

One way to prove this is by using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that if two functions have the same derivative, then their integrals are equal. In this case, we can show that the two integrals of potential energy have the same derivative, thus proving their equality.

2. Can you explain the concept of potential energy and its role in integrals?

Potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position or state. It is often represented by the symbol "U" and is a fundamental concept in physics. In the context of integrals, potential energy is used to calculate the work done by a conservative force, which is equal to the change in potential energy.

3. What are the steps involved in proving the equality of two integrals of potential energy?

The first step is to write out the two integrals and simplify them as much as possible. Then, we can use basic algebraic manipulations and the fundamental theorem of calculus to show that the derivatives of the two integrals are equal. Finally, we can conclude that the integrals themselves are equal.

4. Are there any specific conditions or assumptions that need to be met in order for the two integrals to be equal?

Yes, for the two integrals of potential energy to be equal, the force must be conservative. This means that the work done by the force is independent of the path taken. Additionally, the limits of integration for the two integrals must be the same.

5. Can you provide an example of using potential energy to prove the equality of two integrals?

Sure, let's say we have two integrals: ∫ab kx dx and ∫ab (1/2)kx2 dx, where k is a constant. By taking the derivative of the second integral, we get 1/2kx2, which is equal to kx, the derivative of the first integral. Therefore, we can conclude that the two integrals are equal.