Proving that the sphere cannot be expressed in flat coordinates

In summary, Demonelite123 tried to find a contradiction between two sets of coordinates in flat space, but was unable to do so. She tried to find a way to show that in a triangle on the sphere the angles add up to more than 180 degrees, but was unsuccessful. Demonelite123 also asked if it is possible to calculate a different number than pi if spacetime were curved differently, but was told that it is not possible.
demonelite123
proving that the sphere cannot be expressed in "flat coordinates"

for the sphere in R^3 i have that ds^2 = dϕ^2 + sin^2(ϕ)dθ^2. using the definition of a flat space as one where given a set of curvilinear coordinates, one can find a metric such that ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2, how would one prove that the sphere is not a flat space which means it cannot have "flat coordinates"?

i tried setting dϕ^2 + sin^2(ϕ)dθ^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 to find a contradiction. i was thinking of taking two points and finding the difference between them to approximate the differentials. however i have no idea what to do with the dx and dy on the right side as the coordinate system i am in do not involve them at all. any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi demonelite123! :smile:

in flat coordinates, the sum of the angles of a triangle is 180° (this is one definition of "flat")

on a sphere, it's always more than 180° …

a metric doesn't change distances or angles, so a sphere can't have a flat metric :wink:

tiny-tim said:

in flat coordinates, the sum of the angles of a triangle is 180° (this is one definition of "flat")

on a sphere, it's always more than 180° …

a metric doesn't change distances or angles, so a sphere can't have a flat metric :wink:

do you mean a flat metric doesn't change distances or angles, or do all metrics not change distances and angles.

also, is there a way to show that in a triangle on the sphere the angles add up to more than 180 degrees?

demonelite123 said:
do you mean a flat metric doesn't change distances or angles, or do all metrics not change distances and angles.

if you want to keep spherical geometry, the metric has to preserve distances and angles :smile:
also, is there a way to show that in a triangle on the sphere the angles add up to more than 180 degrees?

extend sides AB and AC to meet at A', the opposite pole of A … we call that shape a lune :wink:

make two similar lunes by extending sides BC and BA to meet at B', and extending sides CA and CB to meet at C'

that should cover the whole surface in six pieces, with some overlaps

then count areas and angles :wink:

Another thing you can do is to parallel transport around a line of lattitude and show that the vector does not generally return to itself.

Or- probably the hard way- use the metric tensor in spherical coordinates to calculate the Riemann curvature tensor and observe that it is not the null tensor.

I was thinking about simil,ar things the other day, how the sum of the angles of a triangle are distorted according to the curvature, and I reasoned that PI must have a direct relationship to this curvature.
Is this right? If so, if only there was a means to identify the mean curvature of the universe according to our value of PI!

Pi is a purely mathematical constant. There is no "our value of pi".

DaleSpam said:
Pi is a purely mathematical constant. There is no "our value of pi".

Of course.

BUT if you understood what I was referring to:
"IF" spacetime was curved any differently, PI would be different. It's only a constant so long as spacetime curvature is (which I'm not so sure of, if it's expanding - though admittedly, the difference would be tiny)

In a theoretically different-curved spacetime, the ratio between the rasdius and circumference of a circle would be different from PI - It was just easier to distinguish the difference by referring to each as PI, as in "our PI" and the theoretical universe's ratio.

_PJ_ said:
"IF" spacetime was curved any differently, PI would be different.
No, pi is pi regardless of spacetime curvature. You could be just outside the singularity of a black hole and pi would still be pi. It is a purely mathematical constant meaning that it is calculated, not measured. Because it is not measured it cannot depend on anything physical.

Now, you could construct a physical circle and physically measure the circumference and physically measure the diameter. If you did that you might get a number different from pi. That would not change pi, but could give you a measure of the spacetime curvature inside the circle.

DaleSpam said:
If you did that you might get a number different from pi.
Yeah, I can accept that, and understand the difference. It's getting this different value that I meant, sorry for misunderstanding and thanks for clarifying.

Incidentally, is it even possible to calculate such a different number, (Consider drawing a circle oin the surface of a sphere, where the radius would then be an arc), If only a ratio beteen the circumference of circle and curvature of the sphere was known?

I think the most intuitive check would be to show that vectors being parallel transported along curves other than a great circle will not necessarily return as the same vector indicating a non - flat geometry.

Related to Proving that the sphere cannot be expressed in flat coordinates

1. What do you mean by "proving that the sphere cannot be expressed in flat coordinates"?

When we talk about "expressing the sphere in flat coordinates," we are referring to the process of creating a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional object. In this case, we are specifically trying to find a way to represent the spherical shape in a flat, or planar, form. The concept of proving that the sphere cannot be expressed in flat coordinates is essentially showing that it is impossible to accurately represent the spherical shape without distorting it in some way.

2. Why is it important to prove that the sphere cannot be expressed in flat coordinates?

This is an important topic in mathematics and geometry because it helps us understand the limitations of our methods and tools for representing shapes and objects. It also has implications in fields such as cartography, where accurate representations of the Earth's surface are crucial for navigation and other purposes. By proving that the sphere cannot be expressed in flat coordinates, we gain a deeper understanding of the properties of shapes and the challenges of representing them accurately.

3. How do you go about proving that the sphere cannot be expressed in flat coordinates?

There are several approaches to proving this concept, but one common method is using mathematical formulas and equations. By examining the properties of a sphere, such as its curvature and surface area, and comparing them to those of a flat surface, we can show that it is not possible to accurately represent the sphere in a flat form. Additionally, there are visual proofs that use diagrams and illustrations to demonstrate the impossibility of this task.

4. Can you provide an example of a visual proof for this concept?

One example is the famous "orange peel" proof, where you start with a flat piece of paper and try to wrap it around an orange without any folds or creases. No matter how hard you try, there will always be wrinkles and distortions in the paper, showing that it is impossible to accurately represent the spherical shape in a flat form. This simple demonstration helps to visualize the concept and understand why it is not possible to express the sphere in flat coordinates.

5. Are there any exceptions to this concept? Can any three-dimensional object be expressed in flat coordinates?

No, there are no exceptions to the concept of proving that the sphere cannot be expressed in flat coordinates. This is because of the unique properties of the sphere, such as its curvature and symmetry. However, there are other shapes and objects that can be accurately represented in a flat form, such as cubes and cylinders. It is important to note that even for these shapes, there will always be some level of distortion or approximation when trying to represent them in a flat form.