Proving that the cartesian metric is rotation invariant

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the invariance of the cartesian metric g_{mn}=\delta_{mn} under a transformation of coordinates to another cartesian coordinate set with different orientation. The approach involves using rotation matrices and the dot product to show that the metric components in the new system are equal to those in the original system. This method is valid for cartesian coordinates of all dimensions.
espen180
I'm trying to prove that the cartesian metric [tex]g_{mn}=\delta_{mn}[/tex] doesn't change under a transformation of coordinates to another cartesian coordinate set with different orientation.

As a starting point I am using [tex]ds^2=\delta_{mn}(x)dx^m dx^n=\frac{\partial x^m}{\partial y^r}\frac{\partial x^n}{\partial y^s}\delta_{mn}(x)dy^r dy^s[/tex].

Then I have to prove that [tex]\frac{\partial x^m}{\partial y^r}\frac{\partial x^n}{\partial y^s}\delta_{mn}(x)=\delta_{rs}(y)[/tex].

However, I am unsure as to how I should tackle those coordinate derivatives. How can I show this equality?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write the new coordinates as functions of the original ones, and then perform the differentiations. Do you know how to use rotation matrices? You can also draw a picture and work it out geometrically.

Well, this is in D dimentions. I know the rotation matricies for two and three dimentions, but not the ones beyond theat. Is there a general expression?

For any linear transformation A, <Ax, y> = <x,(A^t)y>. So <Ax,Ay> = <x,(A^t)Ay>. And the transpose of a rotation matrix is its...?

The transpose of a rotation matrix is its inverse.

I'm not familiar with your notation.

What we know is that [tex]dy^n=\frac{\partial y^n}{\partial x^m} dx^m[/tex] where [tex]\frac{\partial y^n}{\partial x^m}=A_m^n[/tex] is a rotation matrix.

What do you mean by [tex]\left< Ax,y\right>=\left<x,A^T y\right>[/tex]?

the brackets means "dot product". and A^t is the transpose of the matrix A. x, y are vector in R^n

espen180 said:
I'm not familiar with your notation.
It's standard notation of linear algebra. Index notation is not always the most convenient way to manipulate vectors, covectors, and the other objects you study in differential geometry.

Okay. So this is showing that if you rotate two vectors by the same angular displacement, their dot product in unaffected. Is this equivalent to the metric being unaffected by the rotation?

Also, if x and y are both column vectors, we have [tex](Ax)y^T=x(A^Ty)^T[/tex] ? If you have a proof or derivation of this, I would like to see it.

Last edited:
The metric components are [tex] g_{ab} = \langle e_i, e_j \rangle [/tex], where the ei are the basis vectors of the coordinate system you are in. To get the components in a rotated system, you just need to find out what [tex]\langle Ae_i, Ae_j\rangle[/tex] is. Use zhentil's hint in post #4.

Last edited:
Using zhentil's hint in #4 I get [tex]\left< Ax,Ay\right>=\left<x,A^TAy\right>=\left<x,A^{-1}Ay\right>=\left<x,y\right>[/tex].

Does this mean that the two sets of basis vectors are equivalent? So I can conclude that the metric is rotation invariant?

espen180 said:
Using zhentil's hint in #4 I get [tex]\left< Ax,Ay\right>=\left<x,A^TAy\right>=\left<x,A^{-1}Ay\right>=\left<x,y\right>[/tex].

Does this mean that the two sets of basis vectors are equivalent? So I can conclude that the metric is rotation invariant?

No, it doesn't mean the two basis sets are equivalent. What you've shown is that δ'ij = <Aei, Aej> = <ei, ej> = δij, i.e. the components in the new system δ'ij are equal to the components in the original: δij.

Okay. Thanks for the help. :)

By the way, but do I explain that [tex]\left<Ax,y\right>=\left<x,A^Ty\right>[/tex]?

Also, is this approach valid for cartesian coordinates of all dimensions?

Last edited:
If you write it down, it's immediate (i.e. write down <Ax,y> as a sum and move some numbers).

Yes, it's valid for any finite-dimensional Euclidean space. (I believe it's also valid for any bounded linear operator on a Hilbert space, but someone may have to vouch for this)

Related to Proving that the cartesian metric is rotation invariant

1. How do you define the cartesian metric?

The cartesian metric, also known as the Euclidean metric, is a way of measuring distance in three-dimensional space. It is based on the Pythagorean theorem and is defined as the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences in the coordinates between two points.

2. What does it mean for a metric to be rotation invariant?

A metric is rotation invariant if the distance between two points remains the same regardless of the orientation or direction in which they are measured. In other words, rotating the coordinate system does not change the distance between points.

3. How can you prove that the cartesian metric is rotation invariant?

To prove that the cartesian metric is rotation invariant, you can use the fact that the Pythagorean theorem, which the cartesian metric is based on, is also rotation invariant. This means that the distance between two points remains the same even if the coordinates are rotated.

4. Why is it important for a metric to be rotation invariant?

Rotation invariance is important because it allows us to measure distance and perform calculations in a consistent and accurate manner, regardless of the orientation of the coordinate system. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

5. Are there any other metrics that are rotation invariant?

Yes, there are other metrics that are rotation invariant, such as the polar metric, which is based on polar coordinates, and the spherical metric, which is used to measure distance on a sphere. However, the cartesian metric is the most commonly used and well-known rotation invariant metric.