Exploring Strings: A Journey of Understanding

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, in the string theory framework, all subatomic particles are considered to be strings rather than point particles. Different types of strings have been theorized, with various configurations such as one-dimensional and two-dimensional. These strings are classified as membranes, but the question of what they are made of remains unanswered.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
please excuse my ignorance, i have read much about strings
sometimes i even get a glimmer of understanding,
the problem is i can not find referance to what a string is
ok an electron is a point particle so a string is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by wolram
please excuse my ignorance, i have read much about strings
sometimes i even get a glimmer of understanding,
the problem is i can not find referance to what a string is
ok an electron is a point particle so a string is?

Actually, in the string theory framework, you discard the idea that an electron (or any other subatomic particle, for that matter) is a point particle. They are all strings.

Answering what a string actually is thus becomes like answering what a point particle actually is in the Standard Model.

Actually, in the string theory framework, you discard the idea that an electron (or any other subatomic particle, for that matter) is a point particle. They are all strings.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
so for every particle, wave, in the real world, is a string
that gives that particle, wave, its properties?
i have read that many different types of string are theorized
all basicaly the same thing but in diferent configurations
some one dimentional, some two dimensional etc.
i understand that they are clasified as membranes, but
membranes of what?

1. What is "Exploring Strings: A Journey of Understanding"?

"Exploring Strings: A Journey of Understanding" is a book written by a group of scientists and experts in the field of string theory. It aims to provide a comprehensive and accessible explanation of the complex concepts and principles of string theory.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The book is aimed at anyone who is interested in learning more about string theory, including scientists, students, and the general public.

3. What makes this book different from other books on string theory?

This book stands out because it combines the expertise of multiple scientists and experts in the field, providing a well-rounded and comprehensive understanding of string theory. It also uses clear and accessible language to explain complex concepts.

4. Do I need to have a background in physics to understand this book?

While a basic understanding of physics may be helpful, this book is written in a way that is accessible to readers without a physics background. It provides explanations and examples to help readers understand the concepts of string theory.

5. What can I expect to gain from reading this book?

By reading this book, readers can expect to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of string theory and how it relates to our understanding of the universe. It also provides insights into current research and the potential impact of string theory on our understanding of physics.