Ideal gas law constant R conversion

In summary, the conversation discusses converting the ideal gas law constant R from (Pa * cu. meters) / (mol * Kelvin) to (psia * cu. ft) / (lb. * mol * Rankine). The conversion factors used are given and the confusion about the extra pounds in the denominator is addressed. It is suggested to use a program that automatically converts between units.
sitinduk
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum to ask this in, but I was trying to convert the ideal gas law constant R (from PV = nRT) from:

8.31 (Pa * cu. meters) / (mol * Kelvin) to the equivalent:

10.73 (psia * cu. ft) / (lb. * mol * Rankine)

Here's the conversion factors I've been using:
1 Pa = 1.4505E-7 psia (absolute pressure)
1 cu. meter = 35.315 cu. ft
1 Rankine = 1.8 Kelvin

What I don't understand is where does the extra pounds in the denominator of the 10.73 value come from? This is probably what's throwing off my calculations.

-Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
gm-Mole vs. lb-Mole

In the first equation "mole" means "gram-Mole"; in the second the unit is "lb-Mole". You need to convert between gm-Moles and lb-Moles.

Ahh, using 1 gram = 0.0022 lb I finally got it. Thanks alot, this has really been bugging me :smile:

I always use this
[tex]R = 0.082 \frac{atm \cdot l}{mol \cdot K} = 2 \frac{cal}{mol \cdot K} = 8.314 \frac{J}{mol \cdot K} [/tex]

sitinduk said:
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum to ask this in, but I was trying to convert the ideal gas law constant R (from PV = nRT) from:

8.31 (Pa * cu. meters) / (mol * Kelvin) to the equivalent:

10.73 (psia * cu. ft) / (lb. * mol * Rankine)

Here's the conversion factors I've been using:
1 Pa = 1.4505E-7 psia (absolute pressure)
1 cu. meter = 35.315 cu. ft
1 Rankine = 1.8 Kelvin

What I don't understand is where does the extra pounds in the denominator of the 10.73 value come from? This is probably what's throwing off my calculations.

-Thanks

Take a look at:
http://www.adacs.com/menu/PDAcalc_units.php This program runs on a palm, PocketPC,windows and will do all the conversions AUTOMATICALLY for you. Download the user manual which has an example of the PV = nRT formula that shows how it automatically convert between the different units.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law Constant R?

The Ideal Gas Law Constant R is a constant that relates the properties of an ideal gas, such as pressure, volume, and temperature. It is often represented by the symbol R and has a value of 8.314 joules per mole-kelvin.

2. How is the Ideal Gas Law Constant R used?

The Ideal Gas Law Constant R is used to calculate the amount of gas in a system or the change in gas properties when one of the variables (pressure, volume, or temperature) is changed. It is also used to convert between different units of measurement for these properties.

3. What are the units of the Ideal Gas Law Constant R?

The units of the Ideal Gas Law Constant R depend on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature. In SI units, R has units of joules per mole-kelvin. In other systems of measurement, such as the Imperial system, R may have different units.

4. How do I convert between different units of the Ideal Gas Law Constant R?

To convert between different units of the Ideal Gas Law Constant R, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from joules per mole-kelvin to calories per mole-kelvin, you would multiply by the conversion factor of 0.239006.

5. Why is the Ideal Gas Law Constant R important in science?

The Ideal Gas Law Constant R is important in science because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of gases in various conditions. It is used in many fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering, to make calculations and solve problems involving gases.