Proving that a ring is non a PID

• MHB
  • Thread starter pantboio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pid Ring
For example, if $p=2$, then $p^2$ does divide $a^2+13b^2$ for $a=1$ and $b=1$.) So to avoid this potential complication, you are only considering primes $p\neq 2$ and $p\neq 13$.
pantboio
Let \(\displaystyle R=\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-13}]\), let \(\displaystyle p\) be a prime in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\), \(\displaystyle p\neq 2,13\). Suppose that \(\displaystyle p\) divides an integer of the form \(\displaystyle a^2+13b^2\), with \(\displaystyle a,b\) integers and coprime. Let \(\displaystyle P=(p,a+b\sqrt{-13})\) be the ideal generated in \(\displaystyle R\) by \(\displaystyle p\) and \(\displaystyle a+b\sqrt{-13}\) and let \(\displaystyle \overline{P}=(p,a-b\sqrt{-13})\).

1)Prove that \(\displaystyle P\cdot\overline{P}=pR\)

2)Prove that if \(\displaystyle P\) is principal then \(\displaystyle p=A^2+13B^2\) for some \(\displaystyle A,B\) integers

3) Prove that if \(\displaystyle p=a^2+13b^2\) then \(\displaystyle P\) is principal

4) Deduce that \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-13}]\) is not a PIDI have a proof of point 1). Indeed it is easily seen that \(\displaystyle P\cdot\overline{P}\) can be generated by \(\displaystyle p^2,p(a\pm b\sqrt{-13}),a^2+13b^2\), all elements of \(\displaystyle pR\). Conversely, i proved that we may always suppose, without loss of generality, that \(\displaystyle p^2\) does not divide \(\displaystyle a^2+13b^2\) hence \(\displaystyle p=\gcd(p^2,a^2+13b^2)\), and this last fact implies that \(\displaystyle p\) can be expressed as \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}\)-linear combination of \(\displaystyle p^2\) and \(\displaystyle a^2+13b^2\), both elements of \(\displaystyle P\cdot\overline{P}\) so that we get the inclusion \(\displaystyle pR\subseteq P\cdot\overline{P}\).

For the other points, any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
pantboio said:
Let \(\displaystyle R=\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-13}]\), let \(\displaystyle p\) be a prime in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\), \(\displaystyle p\neq 2,13\). Suppose that \(\displaystyle p\) divides an integer of the form \(\displaystyle a^2+13b^2\), with \(\displaystyle a,b\) integers and coprime. Let \(\displaystyle P=(p,a+b\sqrt{-13})\) be the ideal generated in \(\displaystyle R\) by \(\displaystyle p\) and \(\displaystyle a+b\sqrt{-13}\) and let \(\displaystyle \overline{P}=(p,a-b\sqrt{-13})\).

1)Prove that \(\displaystyle P\cdot\overline{P}=pR\)

2)Prove that if \(\displaystyle P\) is principal then \(\displaystyle p=A^2+13B^2\) for some \(\displaystyle A,B\) integers

3) Prove that if \(\displaystyle p=a^2+13b^2\) then \(\displaystyle P\) is principal

4) Deduce that \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-13}]\) is not a PIDI have a proof of point 1). Indeed it is easily seen that \(\displaystyle P\cdot\overline{P}\) can be generated by \(\displaystyle p^2,p(a\pm b\sqrt{-13}),a^2+13b^2\), all elements of \(\displaystyle pR\). Conversely, i proved that we may always suppose, without loss of generality, that \(\displaystyle p^2\) does not divide \(\displaystyle a^2+13b^2\) hence \(\displaystyle p=\gcd(p^2,a^2+13b^2)\), and this last fact implies that \(\displaystyle p\) can be expressed as \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}\)-linear combination of \(\displaystyle p^2\) and \(\displaystyle a^2+13b^2\), both elements of \(\displaystyle P\cdot\overline{P}\) so that we get the inclusion \(\displaystyle pR\subseteq P\cdot\overline{P}\).

For the other points, any help would be appreciated
For 2), suppose that $P$ is principal, say $P = (A+B\sqrt{-13})$, for some $A,\;B\in\mathbb{Z}$. Then $\overline{P} = (A-B\sqrt{-13})$, and $P\cdot\overline{P} = (A^2+13B^2)$. But $p\in P\cdot\overline{P}$ (by (1)), and so $p$ is a multiple of $A^2+13B^2$. Now use that fact that $p$ is prime in $\mathbb{Z}$ to deduce that $p=A^2+13B^2$.

For 3), if $p=a^2+13b^2 = (a+b\sqrt{-13})(a-b\sqrt{-13})$, then clearly $P = (a+b\sqrt{-13})$, which is principal.

For 4), you just need to find a prime $p$ in $\mathbb{Z}$ which is not of the form $a^2+13b^2$, but which has a multiple of that form (try $p=11$). Then by (1) and (2) $(p,a+b\sqrt{-13})$ is not principal.

Opalg said:
For 2), suppose that $P$ is principal, say $P = (A+B\sqrt{-13})$, for some $A,\;B\in\mathbb{Z}$. Then $\overline{P} = (A-B\sqrt{-13})$, and $P\cdot\overline{P} = (A^2+13B^2)$. But $p\in P\cdot\overline{P}$ (by (1)), and so $p$ is a multiple of $A^2+13B^2$. Now use that fact that $p$ is prime in $\mathbb{Z}$ to deduce that $p=A^2+13B^2$.

For 3), if $p=a^2+13b^2 = (a+b\sqrt{-13})(a-b\sqrt{-13})$, then clearly $P = (a+b\sqrt{-13})$, which is principal.

For 4), you just need to find a prime $p$ in $\mathbb{Z}$ which is not of the form $a^2+13b^2$, but which has a multiple of that form (try $p=11$). Then by (1) and (2) $(p,a+b\sqrt{-13})$ is not principal.
Almost all is clear now for me, thanks. According to your suggestion, i take the prime \(\displaystyle p=11\), which is not of the form \(\displaystyle A^2+13\cdot B^2\), but has a multiple, namely its square \(\displaystyle 121\) such that \(\displaystyle 121=2^2+13\cdot 3^2\) so that the ideal \(\displaystyle (11,2+3\sqrt{-13})\) is not principal, thanks to 2). There are left only few questions I summarize as follows:

1) What is the role played by point 3) in all this?? I mean, I've used only 2) to state that the ideal is non-principal...?

2) Why (in the book where i found this exercise) are we prevented from taking \(\displaystyle p=2,13\)?

pantboio said:
1) What is the role played by point 3) in all this?? I mean, I've used only 2) to state that the ideal is non-principal...?
As far as I can see, (3) is not actually needed for the rest of the question. I suppose it is just there for its intrinsic interest. :confused:

pantboio said:
2) Why (in the book where i found this exercise) are we prevented from taking \(\displaystyle p=2,13\)?
In your proof of (1), you said "we may always suppose, without loss of generality, that $p^2$ does not divide $a^2+13b^2$".
You may find that supposition is not valid if $p=2$ or $13$.

.1) To prove P\cdot\overline{P}=pR, we can start by showing that P\cdot\overline{P} is contained in pR. Let x\in P and y\in\overline{P}. Then we can write x=pz and y=pw for some z,w\in R. Now we have xy=p^2zw. Since p divides a^2+13b^2, we can write a^2+13b^2=pm for some m\in\mathbb{Z}. Therefore, p^2zw=p(a^2+13b^2)w=pmw. This shows that pR is contained in P\cdot\overline{P}.

Next, we can show that pR is contained in P\cdot\overline{P}. Let x=pz for some z\in R. Then x=pa for some a\in R. Since a^2+13b^2 is divisible by p, we can write a^2+13b^2=pm for some m\in\mathbb{Z}. Therefore, x=p(a+b\sqrt{-13})(a-b\sqrt{-13})=p(a+b\sqrt{-13})w for some w\in R. This shows that pR is contained in P\cdot\overline{P}.

Hence, we have shown that P\cdot\overline{P}=pR.

2) Now, suppose P is principal, i.e. P=(\alpha) for some \alpha\in R. Then pR=P\cdot\overline{P}=(\alpha)\cdot(\overline{\alpha}). This means that p is a multiple of \alpha and \overline{\alpha}. Since p is prime, this implies that p is either equal to \alpha or \overline{\alpha}. Therefore, we can write p=A^2+13B^2 for some A,B\in\mathbb{Z}.

3) Suppose p=a^2+13b^2 for some a,b\in\mathbb{Z}. Then by part 2), we can write p=A^2+13B^2 for some A,B\in R. This means that P=(A+B\sqrt{-13})=(A-B\sqrt{-13})=pR. Hence, P

Related to Proving that a ring is non a PID

1. What is a PID?

A PID (Principal Ideal Domain) is a type of ring in abstract algebra that satisfies certain properties. These properties include being a commutative ring with unity, every ideal being principal, and being an integral domain (meaning no zero divisors).

2. Why is it important to prove that a ring is not a PID?

Proving that a ring is not a PID can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of the ring. It can also help in finding alternative ways to understand and classify the ring.

3. What are some examples of rings that are not PIDs?

One example is the ring of polynomials in two variables over a field. Another example is the ring of Gaussian integers, which is the set of complex numbers of the form a + bi, where a and b are integers.

4. What are some common techniques used to prove that a ring is not a PID?

One common technique is to find a specific ideal in the ring that is not principal. Another approach is to show that the ring does not satisfy one of the defining properties of a PID, such as being an integral domain or having unique factorization of elements into irreducible elements.

5. Can a ring be both a PID and a non-PID?

No, a ring cannot be both a PID and a non-PID. A ring either satisfies the defining properties of a PID or it does not. It is possible for a ring to have some properties of a PID, but not all, making it a non-PID.