Proving Symmetric Operators are Equal: A Functional Analysis Challenge

In summary, A functional analysis problem asks if A=B. The attempt at a solution suggests that if A is symmetric, then A^* is the adjoint of A, and from A\supseteq B one can deduce that also B is symmetric. The problem asks for evidence that A^*\supseteq B^*.
johan_munchen
A functional analysis' problem

I hope this is the right place to submit this post.

Homework Statement

Let [itex]A[/itex] be a symmetric operator, [itex]A\supseteq B[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{R}_{A+\imath I}=\mathcal{R}_{B+\imath I}[/itex] (where [itex]\mathcal{R}[/itex] means the range of the operator). Show that [itex]A=B[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution
If [itex]A[/itex] is symmetric, then [itex]A\subseteq A^*[/itex], where [itex]A^*[/itex] is the adjoint of [itex]A[/itex], and from [itex]A\supseteq B[/itex] one can deduce that also [itex]B[/itex] is symmetric. The definition domains of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are dense in [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex] ([itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex] an Hilbert space), so [itex]\mathcal{N}_{(A+\imath I)^*}=(\mathcal{R}_{A+\imath I})^\perp[/itex], where now [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] is the operator's kernel. An idea to complete the exercise should be showing that [itex]A^*\supseteq B^*[/itex], using the identity [itex]\mathcal{N}_{(A+\imath I)^*}=\mathcal{N}_{(B+\imath I)^*}[/itex] and the previous hypothesis. However, I can't understand how this could be usefull.

Thanks a lot for your help. JM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Is it possible to move this post to the "Introductory Physics" section?

johan_munchen said:
Is it possible to move this post to the "Introductory Physics" section?

No need, functional analysis is mathematics. :smile:

Anyway, take a point a in the domain of definition of A. Let's calculate Aa+ia, what does [itex]\mathcal{R}_{A+iI}=\mathcal{R}_{B+iI}[/itex] tell you now?

For hypothesis [itex]A\supseteq B[/itex] so [itex]\mathcal{D}_A\supseteq\mathcal{D}_B[/itex] and [itex]A\mathbf{x}=B\mathbf{x}\,\,\forall\,\mathbf{x}\in \mathcal{D}_B[/itex]. Let [itex]\mathbf{a}\in\mathcal{D}_A[/itex] then [itex]A\mathbf{a}+\imath \mathbf{a}\in\mathcal{H}[/itex]. For hypothesis [itex]\mathcal{R}_{A+\imath I}=\mathcal{R}_{B+\imath I}[/itex], so [itex]\exists\,\mathbf{y}\in\mathcal{H}\,:\,\mathbf{y}=A\mathbf{a}+\imath I\mathbf{a}=B\mathbf{a}+\imath I\mathbf{a}[/itex], then [itex]B\mathbf{a}+\imath I\mathbf{a}\in\mathcal{H}[/itex], which means that [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] is also an element of [itex]\mathcal{D}_B[/itex]. So [itex]\mathcal{D}_A=\mathcal{D}_B[/itex], in other words [itex]A=B[/itex]. I have thought about this but I was trying to use the symmetry hypotesis about A.

Last edited:

Related to Proving Symmetric Operators are Equal: A Functional Analysis Challenge

1. What is a functional analysis problem?

A functional analysis problem is a mathematical problem that involves analyzing a function or a set of functions. It typically involves finding the properties of a function, such as its domain, range, and behavior, and using this information to solve a specific problem or make predictions.

2. How is a functional analysis problem different from other types of mathematical problems?

A functional analysis problem is different from other types of mathematical problems because it focuses on the behavior and properties of functions, rather than just solving equations or finding numerical solutions. It requires a deeper understanding of functions and their relationships to other mathematical concepts.

3. What are some common applications of functional analysis problems?

Functional analysis problems have many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems, make predictions, and optimize processes.

4. What are some key techniques used to solve functional analysis problems?

Some key techniques used to solve functional analysis problems include finding the derivatives and integrals of functions, using concepts from linear algebra and calculus, and applying various mathematical theorems and principles.

5. What skills or knowledge are necessary to effectively solve functional analysis problems?

To effectively solve functional analysis problems, one should have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as functions, derivatives, integrals, and linear algebra. It also requires critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to apply mathematical principles to real-world situations.