Proving Spring's Total Constant: 2k/3

• Thread starter joy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the combined spring has a force which is equal to the sum of the individual forces in the two springs.
joy
Hi!

I haven't done anything with the following problem because I really don't know where to start from. My book doesn't give any guideline. The only thing I am aware of is F=-Kx and E=Kx^2/2 but I cannot use them to proceed in some way.

'' A spring of length l it is consisted of 2 springs. The first has constant k and length l/2 and the second has constant 2k and length l/2.
Prove that the constant of the hole spring is 2k/3.''

I am sorry for the bad english. My mother tongue is greek.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF joy!

1. Given two springs (and say a mass). How many ways can you connect the springs to the mass? (Hint: don't think about a mass sandwiched between two springs.)

2. Can you set up the equation for an equivalent spring and for the two "sub-springs"?

Hope that helps...(second hint: E = (1/2)kx^2 needn't be used)

Thanks for your help!

I have tried to use energy but it is still difficult. I realized though, that it is maybe a problem that needs oscillation...

maverick280857 said:
Welcome to PF joy!

1. Given two springs (and say a mass). How many ways can you connect the springs to the mass? (Hint: don't think about a mass sandwiched between two springs.)

2. Can you set up the equation for an equivalent spring and for the two "sub-springs"?

Hope that helps...(second hint: E = (1/2)kx^2 needn't be used)

Well, since the combined spring has length L and the two springs are length L/2, they must be attached end-to-end, or in series. So what does that mean. Consider Spring 1(Sp1) of spring constant k1, and Spring 2 (Sp2) with constant k2.

Sp 1 . . Sp2
|/\/\/|/\/\/\/| <-- F

Now force F pushes (or pulls) on the combined spring. What can we say about the force in each spring, in relationship to F. Let force in Spring 1 = F1 and Spring = F2. The forces are directly transmitted from F - to Sp 2 and from Sp 2 to Sp 1, so F = F1 = F2.

Now consider displacements x1 in Sp 1 and x2 in Sp 2.

F1 = k1x1 and F2 = k2x2, and the total displacement of the combined spring x = x1 + x2.

In the combined spring F = kx (and you wish to find k in terms of k1 and k2).

From the equilibrium conditions, remember x = x1 + x2, or

F/k = F1/k1+ F2/k2.

Now should be able to take it from here.

Related to Proving Spring's Total Constant: 2k/3

1. What is the formula for proving Spring's Total Constant?

The formula for proving Spring's Total Constant is 2k/3, where k is the spring constant.

2. How is the spring constant determined in this formula?

The spring constant, k, is determined by measuring the force applied to the spring and the resulting displacement.

3. Is this formula applicable to all types of springs?

Yes, this formula is applicable to all types of springs as long as the spring constant, k, is known.

4. Can this formula be used to calculate the total energy of a spring?

Yes, this formula can also be used to calculate the total energy stored in a spring.

5. What are the units for the spring constant in this formula?

The units for the spring constant, k, in this formula are N/m (newtons per meter).