Proving & Solving Integrals with Multiplication Theorem

In summary, the problem is to prove \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\int^{\infty}_0x^{-\frac{1}{2}}\cos (xt)dx=t^{-\frac{1}{2}} and then use it to solve \int^{\infty}_0\cos y^2dy. The solution involves using residue calculus and contour integration to find the value of the integral. The first part can be used to calculate \int^{\infty}_0\cos x^2dx by substituting t=1 and eliminating the square root.
matematikuvol

Homework Statement

Prove

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\int^{\infty}_0x^{-\frac{1}{2}}\cos (xt)dx=t^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

and use that to solve

[tex]\int^{\infty}_0\cos y^2dy[/tex]

Is this good way to try to prove?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Multiplicate both sides with [tex]\cos x'tdt[/tex] and integrate from zero to [tex]\infty[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\int^{\infty}_0dt\cos (x't)\int^{\infty}_0x^{-\frac{1}{2}}\cos (xt)dx=\int^{\infty}_0dt\cos (x't)t^{-\frac{1}{2}}=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\int^{\infty}_0dxx^{-\frac{1}{2}}\int^{\infty}_0dt\cos (x't)\cos (xt)dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that we know

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\int^{\infty}_0\cos(xt)x^{-\frac{1}{2}}dx=t^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

without proving. How to calculate then

[tex]\int^{\infty}_0\cos x^2dx[/tex]

Last edited:
you need to use residue calculus.
if you can go to library look at hildebrand advanced calculus for applications, under the intended contours you will see how to use cauchy's principle and then you'll get gamma functions.

For which part of problem. This is problem from Arfken, Weber.

you can do the proof and also find part b when you understand the first part I assume.look hildebrand page 561 to be exact

[tex]\int^{\infty}_0\frac{\cos x}{x^{1-m}}dx=\Gamma(m)\cos (\frac{m\pi}{2})[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_0\frac{\cos x}{x^{1-\frac{1}{2}}}dx=\Gamma(\frac{1}{2})\cos (\frac{\frac{1}{2}\pi}{2})=\sqrt{\pi}\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

I don't see solution :(

you need to look at contour integration and use xt instead of x there. By using residue and appropriate contour you'll be able to find t^-1/2

Ok. Thanks. And what then. When I prove first part, how can I calculate integral [tex]\int^{\infty}_0\cos x^2dx[/tex]?

Take t=1 in what you have proven already then do a simple substitution to get rid of the sqrt.

Thanks a lot! :)

Related to Proving & Solving Integrals with Multiplication Theorem

1. What is the multiplication theorem for integrals?

The multiplication theorem for integrals is a method used to solve integrals that involve multiplication of functions. It states that the integral of the product of two functions is equal to the integral of the first function multiplied by the integral of the second function.

2. How is the multiplication theorem applied in solving integrals?

The multiplication theorem is applied by breaking down the integral into smaller, simpler integrals that can be solved using basic integration rules. The resulting integrals are then multiplied together to get the final solution.

3. Can the multiplication theorem be used for any type of integrals?

Yes, the multiplication theorem can be applied to any type of integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals. However, it is most commonly used for indefinite integrals.

4. Are there any special cases where the multiplication theorem cannot be applied?

Yes, there are some cases where the multiplication theorem cannot be applied, such as when the integrand involves trigonometric functions or logarithmic functions. In these cases, other integration techniques may be more suitable.

5. How can I check if my solution using the multiplication theorem is correct?

You can check the validity of your solution by differentiating it. If the resulting function is equal to the original integrand, then your solution is correct. You can also use online integration calculators to verify your answer.