Proving Roots of f(x) with Odd n ≤ 3

• Thread starter Neoma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that a function defined by f(x)=x^{n}+px+q has at least one and at most three real roots when n is odd. The discussants considered using the intermediate value theorem and finding the local extrema, but faced difficulties in expressing the roots in terms of n, p, and q. They also mention considering the dominant term of the function and the cases when p is positive, negative, or zero in order to find the number of real roots.
Neoma
Let [tex]n \ \epsilon \ \mathbb{N}, \ n \geq 2[/tex] and [tex]p, \ q \ \epsilon \ \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Consider [tex]f: \ \mathbb{R} \ \rightarrow \ \mathbb{R}[/tex] defined by [tex]f(x)=x^{n}+px+q.[/tex]

Suppose n is odd, prove that f has at least one and at most three real roots.

I thought about the intermediate value theorem for proving that f has one root, but then you need one x where f is negative and another one where it's positive and it's impossible to expres this x in terms of n, p and q.

To prove that f has at most three real roots, I thought about finding the local extrema (where f'(x)=0) and examining each of the possible combinations of positions of them. However, then I'm kinda facing the same problem. I'm sure there has to be some more elegant way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neoma said:
Let [tex]n \ \epsilon \ \mathbb{N}, \ n \geq 2[/tex] and [tex]p, \ q \ \epsilon \ \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Consider [tex]f: \ \mathbb{R} \ \rightarrow \ \mathbb{R}[/tex] defined by [tex]f(x)=x^{n}+px+q.[/tex]

Suppose n is odd, prove that f has at least one and at most three real roots.

I thought about the intermediate value theorem for proving that f has one root, but then you need one x where f is negative and another one where it's positive and it's impossible to expres this x in terms of n, p and q.
You have the right idea. For large absolute values of x, what is the dominant term of f(x)? In other words, what is the limit of f(x) as x goes to infinity, minus infinity?

To prove that f has at most three real roots, I thought about finding the local extrema (where f'(x)=0) and examining each of the possible combinations of positions of them. However, then I'm kinda facing the same problem. I'm sure there has to be some more elegant way.
Again, you are using the right approach by considering the equation f'(x) = 0. Consider separately the cases when p is positive, negative, and zero. In each case, how many real roots can f'(x) = 0 have?

Thanks, I solved it.

Related to Proving Roots of f(x) with Odd n ≤ 3

1. What is the significance of proving roots of f(x) with odd n ≤ 3?

Proving roots of f(x) with odd n ≤ 3 is important because it allows us to determine the number of possible solutions to the equation. This information can help us better understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its graph.

2. How do you prove the roots of a function with odd n ≤ 3?

To prove the roots of a function with odd n ≤ 3, we can use the Rational Root Theorem. This theorem states that if a polynomial function has integer coefficients, then any rational root must be in the form of p/q, where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient.

3. Can a function have more than three roots with odd n?

No, a function with odd n can only have a maximum of three roots. This is because for a polynomial of degree n, there can be a maximum of n distinct roots, and for odd n, n is always an odd number.

4. What is the difference between an odd and even root of a function?

The difference between an odd and even root of a function lies in the behavior of the function at that root. An odd root, such as a cubic root, will cross the x-axis at that point, while an even root, such as a square root, will bounce off the x-axis at that point.

5. Can a function have irrational roots with odd n?

Yes, a function with odd n can have irrational roots. This means that the roots cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers, but rather as a decimal or radical. An example of this is the function f(x) = x^3 - 2, which has a root of ∛2.