Proving Root Space Invariancy of Linear Transformation

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sudharaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root Space
In summary, the author is asking for a proof that a root space is invariant for a linear transformation.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question that I don't quite understand.

Given \(f:\, V\rightarrow V\) and a root space \(V(\lambda)\) for \(f\), prove that \(V(\lambda)\) is invariant for \(g:,V\rightarrow V\) such that \(g\) commutes with f.

What I don't understand here is what is meant by root space in the context of a linear transformation. Can somebody please explain this to me or direct me to a link where it's explained?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks as though a root space is what I would call an eigenspace, in other words the subspace of all eigenvectors corresponding to a given eigenvalue $\lambda$. (Strictly speaking, an eigenvector has to be nonzero, so the eigenspace is the set of all eigenvectors corresponding to $\lambda$, together with the zero vector.)

Opalg said:
It looks as though a root space is what I would call an eigenspace, in other words the subspace of all eigenvectors corresponding to a given eigenvalue $\lambda$. (Strictly speaking, an eigenvector has to be nonzero, so the eigenspace is the set of all eigenvectors corresponding to $\lambda$, together with the zero vector.)

Thanks very much for your valuable reply. :) There was some doubt on my mind as to what this root space is all about. It seems to me that there is some ambiguity about this depending on different authors. For example I was reading the following and it has a slightly different definition about the root space.

Matrix And Linear Algebra 2Nd Ed. - Datta - Google Books

However I don't know what my prof. had in his mind when writing down this question. So to make matters simple I shall take the eigenspace as the rootspace. Thanks again, and have a nice day. :)

Hi there,

Root space in the context of linear transformations refers to the subspace of the vector space V that contains all the eigenvectors corresponding to a particular eigenvalue, denoted by λ. In other words, V(λ) is the set of all vectors v such that f(v) = λv, where f is the linear transformation.

To prove root space invariancy, we need to show that for any vector v in V(λ), g(v) is also in V(λ). In other words, g must map eigenvectors of f with eigenvalue λ to other eigenvectors of f with the same eigenvalue λ.

To do this, we can use the fact that g commutes with f. This means that g(f(v)) = f(g(v)) for any vector v in V. Since v is an eigenvector of f with eigenvalue λ, f(v) = λv. Therefore, g(f(v)) = g(λv) = λg(v). Similarly, f(g(v)) = f(λv) = λf(v) = λ(λv) = λ^2v.

Since g(f(v)) = f(g(v)), we can equate the two expressions and get λg(v) = λ^2v. This shows that g(v) is also an eigenvector of f with eigenvalue λ, and therefore, g(v) is in V(λ). This proves that V(λ) is invariant for g.

I hope this explanation helps. If you need further clarification or have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Proving Root Space Invariancy of Linear Transformation

1. What is "proving root space invariancy" in linear transformation?

Proving root space invariancy is a mathematical process used to determine whether a linear transformation preserves the root space of a vector space. This means that the linear transformation does not change the eigenvectors associated with a given eigenvalue. In other words, the transformation does not alter the direction of the eigenvectors.

2. Why is proving root space invariancy important in linear transformation?

Proving root space invariancy is important because it helps us understand how a linear transformation affects the structure of a vector space. It also allows us to identify the eigenvectors and eigenvalues associated with a linear transformation, which are crucial in solving many mathematical problems.

3. What are the steps involved in proving root space invariancy of linear transformation?

The first step is to find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the linear transformation. Then, we need to determine whether the eigenvectors associated with a particular eigenvalue are preserved by the transformation. This can be done by checking if the transformation applied to the eigenvector results in a scalar multiple of the same eigenvector. If this is true for all eigenvalues, then the root space is invariant under the linear transformation.

4. How does proving root space invariancy differ from proving eigenspace invariancy?

Proving root space invariancy is a more specific case of proving eigenspace invariancy. While eigenspace invariancy refers to the preservation of the entire eigenspace (spanned by all eigenvectors) under a linear transformation, root space invariancy only focuses on the preservation of individual eigenvectors associated with a particular eigenvalue.

5. Can root space invariancy be proven for all linear transformations?

No, root space invariancy can only be proven for linear transformations that have eigenvectors associated with distinct eigenvalues. If a linear transformation has repeated eigenvalues, then the root space may not be invariant under the transformation. In such cases, other methods need to be used to analyze the transformation's behavior on the root space.