Proving Recursion relations for Bessel Functions

In summary, the student is confused about what the question is asking them to do and is having trouble following directions. They eventually figure it out and solve equation 1) and equation 2) but are still confused about what the question is.
gametheory

Homework Statement

Solve equations 1) and 2) for J[itex]_{p+1}[/itex](x) and J[itex]_{p-1}[/itex](x). Add and subtract these two equations to get 3) and 4).

Homework Equations

1) [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex][x[itex]^{p}[/itex]J[itex]_{p}[/itex](x)] = x[itex]^{p}[/itex]J[itex]_{p-1}[/itex](x)
2) [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex][x[itex]^{-p}[/itex]J[itex]_{p}[/itex](x)] = -x[itex]^{-p}[/itex]J[itex]_{p+1}[/itex](x)
3) J[itex]_{p-1}[/itex](x) + J[itex]_{p+1}[/itex](x) = [itex]\frac{2p}{x}[/itex]J[itex]_{p}[/itex](x)
4) J[itex]_{p-1}[/itex](x) - J[itex]_{p+1}[/itex](x) = 2J[itex]^{'}_{p}[/itex](x)

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem is I'm not really sure what the question is asking me to do in the first part. Am I supposed to plug p+1 and p-1 into J[itex]_{p}[/itex] on the left of each equation or am I supposed to simply solve equation 1) as J[itex]_{p-1}[/itex](x) = x[itex]^{-p}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex][x[itex]^{p}[/itex]J[itex]_{p}[/itex](x)] and equation 2) as J[itex]_{p+1}[/itex](x) = -x[itex]^{p}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex][x[itex]^{-p}[/itex]J[itex]_{p}[/itex](x)]? I tried this way and then differentiated the series and got two infinite series I didn't know what to do with.

Next, I tried to substitute J[itex]_{p+1}[/itex] into J[itex]_{p}[/itex] and I integrated on both sides and just got J[itex]_{p+1}[/itex] = J[itex]_{p+1}[/itex] after rearranging everything.

I feel like this isn't an overly difficult problem, but I just have no idea what direction to take with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
gametheory said:
My main problem is I'm not really sure what the question is asking me to do in the first part. Am I supposed to plug p+1 and p-1 into J[itex]_{p}[/itex] on the left of each equation or am I supposed to simply solve equation 1) as J[itex]_{p-1}[/itex](x) = x[itex]^{-p}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex][x[itex]^{p}[/itex]J[itex]_{p}[/itex](x)] and equation 2) as J[itex]_{p+1}[/itex](x) = -x[itex]^{p}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex][x[itex]^{-p}[/itex]J[itex]_{p}[/itex](x)]? I tried this way and then differentiated the series and got two infinite series I didn't know what to do with.

Yes, it's saying the latter, but I don't know what you mean about getting infinite series; if you expand the derivative on the RHS in each case, you can just use the product rule to get one term with the Bessel function and one term with its derivative (and adding these or subtracting should give the two results).

Nevermind, you're right, I got it. All the other problems had us manipulate the bessel function as an infinite series and I was just used to doing this. Forgot to try basic rules from calculus...haha thanks

Related to Proving Recursion relations for Bessel Functions

1. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a type of special mathematical functions that arise in many physical and engineering problems, particularly those involving wave phenomena. They are named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel, who first studied them in the early 1800s.

2. What is the significance of proving recursion relations for Bessel functions?

Proving recursion relations for Bessel functions is important because it allows us to efficiently calculate the values of these functions for a wide range of inputs. This is particularly useful in physics and engineering applications where Bessel functions are commonly used.

3. How are recursion relations used to prove Bessel functions?

Recursion relations are used in a step-by-step process to prove Bessel functions. This involves breaking down the function into smaller, simpler functions and using mathematical induction to show that they satisfy certain properties. This ultimately leads to the proof of the recursion relation for the Bessel function.

4. What are some examples of Bessel function recursion relations?

One example of a Bessel function recursion relation is the well-known recurrence formula for the first kind Bessel function, which relates the values at different orders of the function. Another example is the relation between the Bessel function and its derivative, which is often used in solving differential equations.

5. Are there any challenges in proving recursion relations for Bessel functions?

Yes, there can be some challenges in proving recursion relations for Bessel functions. The main difficulty lies in finding the initial conditions and the appropriate form of the recursion relation. It may also require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques such as power series and complex analysis.