Proving Real Value of Hard Quantum Question Homework

In summary, the conversation is about proving the acceptability of two proposed expressions for <xp> in terms of the given equations. However, it is shown that both expressions lead to imaginary values, and a third expression is proposed which is the sum of the two integrals. It is then discussed whether this third expression is the correct one and if it leads to a real value. The conversation ends with a request for suggestions on how to proceed with the second integral.
neelakash

Homework Statement

Prove that

Neither

<xp>=∫ψ* x(ħ/i)(∂/∂x) ψ dx

nor <xp>=∫ψ* x(ħ/i)(∂/∂x)xψ dx

is acceptable because both lead to imaginary value.Show that

<xp>=∫ψ* x(ħ/i)(∂/∂x) ψ dx + ∫ψ* x(ħ/i)(∂/∂x)xψ dx leads to real value.Does

<xp>=<x><p> ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking * of proposed <xp>=∫ψ* x(ħ/i)(∂/∂x) ψ dx and carrying out by parts integral,I get

<xp>*= -iħ +<xp> ≠ <xp> .Hence, given expression for <xp> is not real where it should be so.

[What I am woried about,even <xp> comes out to be imaginary, <xp>-<px>=iħ is still OK.Because <xp>*=<px>]

Also,my attempts to show the second proposed expression leads to imaginary value failed:

<xp>=∫ψ* x(ħ/i)(∂/∂x)xψ dx

=> <xp>*=∫ψ x(-ħ/i) (∂/∂x)xψ* dx

=><xp>*=(iħ) ∫ψx (∂/∂x)xψ* dx =(iħ) [-∫xψ*(ψ+ x(∂ψ/∂x)) dx + 0]

where I assumed [x²ψ*ψ] gives zero in both +∞ and -∞ limit.

[I am not sure at this point too.As the term involves a factor x²]

Can anyone suggest if I am going through the correct way?If I am doing wrong in integration, please show it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given proposed expressions for [tex]\langle\ x \ p_x \rangle=\int^\infty_{\ - \infty}\psi\ast\ x \frac{\hbar}{i}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial\ x }[/tex][tex]\ dx[/tex]

Another given expression for [tex]\langle\ x \ p_x \rangle=\int^\infty_{\ - \infty}\psi\ast\ x \frac{\hbar}{i}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial(\ x \psi)}{\partial\ x }[/tex][tex]\ dx[/tex]

We are to show that neither is correct but the sum of the integrations is the correct expression for <xp_x>

I started with taking * of [tex]\langle\ x \ p_x \rangle[/tex] of the first expression:

[tex]\langle\ x \ p_x \rangle\ast=\frac{-\hbar}{i}\int_{\ - \infty}^\infty\psi\ x \frac{\partial\psi\ast}{\partial\ x }[/tex][tex]\ dx=[/tex][tex]\ i \hbar\ [\ - \int_{\ - \infty}^{\infty}\frac{\partial(\psi\ x )}{\partial\ x }\psi\ast\ dx\ + \(\psi\ast\ x \psi)_{\ - \infty}^{\infty}][/tex]

Last term=0

[tex]\langle\ x \ p_x \rangle\ast=\ i \hbar\[\ - \int_{\ - \infty}^\infty\psi\ast\ (\psi + \ x \frac{\partial\psi}{\partial\ x})\ dx \]=\ - \ i \hbar\ + \langle\ x \ p_x \rangle[/tex]

But this is not [tex]\langle\ x \ p_x \rangle[/tex].So, we conclude given expression of [tex]\langle\ x \ p_x \rangle[/tex] is not correct because the expectation value must be a real quantity Q such that Q*=Q

Note an interesting thing! Even if the expression is not correct,it correctly leads to <xp>-<px>=iħ as <xp>*=<px>

But I am in trouble with the second integration.It appears that the conjugate of the second integral should be equal to iħ so that the sum of the two integrals be <xp>

Can anyone please suggest anything?

Last edited:

Related to Proving Real Value of Hard Quantum Question Homework

1. What is the purpose of proving the real value of hard quantum question homework?

The purpose of proving the real value of hard quantum question homework is to demonstrate the importance and relevance of these assignments in the field of quantum physics. It also helps to show the practical applications and impact of these questions on real-world problems and advancements in technology.

2. How do you determine the real value of hard quantum question homework?

The real value of hard quantum question homework can be determined through various methods such as analyzing the complexity and difficulty level of the questions, evaluating the skills and knowledge required to solve them, and examining the potential impact of the solutions on the field of quantum physics.

3. Why is it important to prove the real value of hard quantum question homework?

Proving the real value of hard quantum question homework is important because it helps to validate the time and effort put into these assignments by students and researchers. It also helps to showcase the significance of these questions in advancing our understanding of quantum physics and its applications.

4. What are some challenges in proving the real value of hard quantum question homework?

One of the main challenges in proving the real value of hard quantum question homework is the constantly evolving nature of quantum physics. This makes it difficult to measure the long-term impact of these questions and their solutions. Another challenge is the subjective nature of value, as different individuals may have different perspectives on the significance of these questions.

5. How can the real value of hard quantum question homework be communicated to a wider audience?

The real value of hard quantum question homework can be communicated to a wider audience through various means, such as publishing research papers, presenting findings at conferences and seminars, and creating educational resources for students and the general public. Collaborating with other experts in the field can also help to disseminate the value of these questions and their solutions.