Proving Pigeonhole Principle in Set Theory

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving subsets and divisibility. The approach used is to split the set into even and odd subsets and use the pigeonhole principle to show that there exist two elements in the subset that are multiples of the same odd number, thus proving their divisibility.
houseurmusic
Been working on this for 2 days and have gotten no where. Maybe someone out there can show me the light

U = {1, 2, 3, ... , n, ..., 2n} for some natural number n
Let P be a subset of U such that |P| = n + 1
show that there exists x, y in P where x not equal y such that x divides y or y divides x.

Physics news on Phys.org
This one's a classic, and it's not obvious. Notice that:

(1) U has n odd elements; these will be the pigeonholes.

(2) The pigeons will be the elements of P.

(3) Each "pigeon" [tex]k \in P[/tex] may be written as [tex]k = 2^{e}m[/tex], where m is odd.

Now, there will be a pigeonhole, with at least how many pigeons?

That was helpful, thank you.

The way I approached the problem and I am not sure if this is correct...

I split U into 2 subsets. An even subset and an odd subset.
I said that set P must contain at least 1 element from the even set by the pigeon hole principle. I also used these to facts which are easy to prove

-1- For any even number x and some odd number y. x=(2^C)(y) C is a natural number > 1
-2- If there is an even number x that shares the same odd multiple (excluding 1) as another even number y then x|y (x divides y) or y|x.

When choosing the even number(s) for set P we can make these 2 choices:

case 1: We choose an even number x that shares no odd multiple with another even number we have chosen before.

case 2: The even number x shares the same odd multiple as another even number y which we have already chosen from before.

Note that after we are done choosing set P if P contains 1 then we are done.

If we ever choose a x that falls under case 2 we are done by -2- of our above facts.

(This is where I it gets a little messy)

Then all that is left to consider is if all our choices of even number(s) fall under case 1.
By fact -1- any even number x is multiple of an odd number y(excluding 1). In other words our set P would have to have a one to one correspondence of odd to even numbers. But that's impossible because we have must have 1 more odd numbers then even numbers or vice versa.
So P must contain a x and a y such that x|y or y|x which was to be shown. QED

That look right?

You are overcomplicating: notice that, after you have defined the set of "holes" as the one who has the odd elements of U and the the "pigeons" has your set P, then there will be at least two of them who are multiples of the same odd element. What does this tells you about their divisibility?

Related to Proving Pigeonhole Principle in Set Theory

1. What is the Pigeonhole Principle in Set Theory?

The Pigeonhole Principle is a fundamental concept in set theory that states if there are more items than containers to hold them, at least one container must hold more than one item.

2. How is the Pigeonhole Principle used in mathematics?

The Pigeonhole Principle is used to prove mathematical statements by showing that there are not enough "containers" (or possible outcomes) to hold all the "items" (or possibilities), thus there must be at least one duplicate or overlap.

3. Can you provide an example of the Pigeonhole Principle in action?

One example is the "birthday problem", where in a group of people, it is highly likely that two people share the same birthday because there are only 365 days in a year but more than 365 people in the group.

4. How does the Pigeonhole Principle relate to sets and subsets?

The Pigeonhole Principle can be applied to sets and subsets by considering the total number of items in the larger set and the total number of items in the smaller subset. If the number of items in the larger set is greater than the number of items in the smaller subset, then there must be at least one item that is shared between the larger set and the smaller subset.

5. Are there any limitations to the Pigeonhole Principle?

Yes, the Pigeonhole Principle assumes that each item can only be placed in one container and that all containers are the same size. It also does not take into account any specific patterns or arrangements within the items and containers. Therefore, it may not always be applicable in all situations.