Proving Parallelism of Vectors with Perpendicularity Constraints

In summary, the statement to prove is that if two vectors $\vec x$ and $\vec y$ are perpendicular to a non-zero vector $\vec z$, then they must also be parallel to each other. This can be shown using the definitions of perpendicular and parallel vectors, as well as the fact that $\vec x$ and $\vec z$ form a basis for $\mathbb{R}^2$. This implies that $\vec y$ must be a linear combination of $\vec x$ and $\vec z$, and therefore must be parallel to $\vec x$.
Ganesh Ujwal
I have to prove $\vec x \perp \vec z$ and $\vec y \perp \vec z$ imply $\vec x || \vec y$ where $\vec x,\vec y,\vec z \in \mathbb{R}^2$ and $z$ nonzero.

I know $x \perp z \Leftrightarrow x_1z_1+x_2z_2=0$ and $y \perp z \Leftrightarrow y_1z_1+y_2z_2=0$. If two vectors are parallel, I can write $\vec x = \alpha \vec y$.

I tried to write $x_1z_1+x_2z_2=y_1z_1+y_2z_2$ but this didn't help me to find an $\alpha$ to satisfy $\vec x = \alpha \vec y$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ganesh Ujwal said:
I have to prove $\vec x \perp \vec z$ and $\vec y \perp \vec z$ imply $\vec x || \vec y$ where $\vec x,\vec y,\vec z \in \mathbb{R}^2$ and $z$ nonzero.

I know $x \perp z \Leftrightarrow x_1z_1+x_2z_2=0$ and $y \perp z \Leftrightarrow y_1z_1+y_2z_2=0$. If two vectors are parallel, I can write $\vec x = \alpha \vec y$.

I tried to write $x_1z_1+x_2z_2=y_1z_1+y_2z_2$ but this didn't help me to find an $\alpha$ to satisfy $\vec x = \alpha \vec y$.
If $\vec x = 0$ the result is true, because then $\vec x = 0.\vec y$. So suppose that $\vec x \ne0$. Then $\vec x$ and $\vec z$ form a basis for $\mathbb{R}^2$ (because they are two linearly independent vectors in a two-dimensional space). Therefore $\vec y$ must be a linear combination of $\vec x$ and $\vec z$. Can you take it from there?

Related to Proving Parallelism of Vectors with Perpendicularity Constraints

1. How do you determine if two vectors are parallel?

To determine if two vectors are parallel, you can use the dot product formula. If the dot product of the two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes, then the vectors are parallel.

2. What is the significance of two parallel vectors?

Two parallel vectors have the same direction, but may have different lengths. This means that they are always equidistant from each other and will never intersect.

3. Can two vectors be parallel if they have different magnitudes?

No, two vectors cannot be parallel if they have different magnitudes. In order for two vectors to be parallel, they must have the same direction and magnitude.

4. Is it possible for two vectors to be parallel if they have opposite directions?

Yes, two vectors can be parallel if they have opposite directions. This means that they are pointing in opposite directions, but are still equidistant from each other.

5. How can you represent parallel vectors geometrically?

You can represent parallel vectors geometrically by drawing two arrows with the same direction and length. These arrows will never intersect and will always be equidistant from each other.