Proving <n_f,l_f,m_l,f|p_j|n_i,l_i,m_l,i> for Hydrogen Atom - Homework Help

I was trying to use the commutator properties directly.In summary, to prove the given equation using the commutator [H_{0},r_{j}], substitute it for p_{j} and use the hermicity of the Hamiltonian to simplify the expression. This will lead to the desired result.
arenaninja

Homework Statement

Use
[tex][H_{0},r_{j}]=\frac{i\hbar}{\mu}p_{j}[/tex]
for the Hydrogen atom (where the j's denote the jth components in Cartesian coordinates) to prove that
[tex]<n_{f},l_{f},m_{l,f}|p_{j}|n_{i},l_{i},m_{l,i}>=-i\mu\omega<n_{f},l_{f},m_{l,f}|r_{j}|n_{i},l_{i},m_{l,i}>[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really at a loss on how to begin here. I don't see how I can use the commutator to prove this.

Physics news on Phys.org
arenaninja said:

Homework Statement

Use
for the Hydrogen atom (where the j's denote the jth components in Cartesian coordinates) to prove that
[tex]<n_{f},l_{f},m_{l,f}|p_{j}|n_{i},l_{i},m_{l,i}>=-i\mu\omega<n_{f},l_{f},m_{l,f}|r_{j}|n_{i},l_{i},m_{l,i}>[/tex]

Just substitute for [itex]p_{j}[/itex] the communtator [itex][H_{0},r_{j}][/itex]
[tex]<n_{f},l_{f},m_{l,f}|p_{j}|n_{i},l_{i},m_{l,i}> = \frac{\mu}{i\hbar}<n_{f},l_{f},m_{l,f}|[H, r_j]|n_{i},l_{i},m_{l,i}>[/tex]
and take it from there. Remember that [itex]H[/itex] is Hermitian and what its eigenstates and eigenvalues are.

Thanks a lot mathfeel. It took me a while when you mentioned the hermicity of the Hamiltonian, but after staring it down for a straight 5 minutes I felt dumb since it's so obvious, hahaha.

Related to Proving <n_f,l_f,m_l,f|p_j|n_i,l_i,m_l,i> for Hydrogen Atom - Homework Help

What is the structure of a hydrogen atom?

The structure of a hydrogen atom consists of a positively charged nucleus, which contains one proton, and a negatively charged electron that orbits the nucleus.

What is the mass of a hydrogen atom?

The mass of a hydrogen atom is approximately 1.007 atomic mass units (u), which is equivalent to 1.67 x 10^-27 kilograms.

What is the atomic number of a hydrogen atom?

The atomic number of a hydrogen atom is 1, meaning it has one proton in its nucleus. This also indicates that the atom has one electron, since the number of protons and electrons in an atom are equal.

What is the energy level of an electron in a hydrogen atom?

The energy level of an electron in a hydrogen atom is determined by its distance from the nucleus. The further away the electron is from the nucleus, the higher its energy level will be.

What is the significance of the hydrogen atom in chemistry?

The hydrogen atom is significant in chemistry because it is the simplest and most abundant element in the universe. It also plays a crucial role in chemical reactions and forms the basis of many important compounds, such as water and organic molecules.