Proving Mom Wrong - Calculating Airsoft Impacts at 40 Yards (120ft)

• Thread starter dougieboi
  • Start date
In summary, the BB from the airsoft gun penetrated the car, doing minimal damage. The velocity of the BB at 300 FPS greatly increased the kinetic energy, which would make the damage much worse if the BB hit the car at 40 yards. Additionally, the BB is made out of plastic, which would make it even less resistant to damage.
dougieboi
mom says my airsoft damaged her car. i call bs! need a drawn out formula to prove this.
given:

plastic bb at 6mm in size
the bb weighs .30g
and moves at about 300FPS

the car was 40 yards away. (120ft)

i would suppose impact damage is mini here if any. the bb is plastic the car is metal?
help needed bad! thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
dougieboi said:
mom says my airsoft damaged her car. i call bs! need a drawn out formula to prove this.

How severe was the damage? Did the car explode?

Lol it doesn't need a formula to prove that wrong. It's pretty hard to imagine that the car was dented by your airsoft gun. I would use a formula but I'm not entirely sure how to put in 300 FPS into an equation. FPS could mean either of two things to me;

Foot-pound-second

or

Feet Per Second

Both are much different.

FPS obviously means feet per second. Just as obviously (but apparently not), using your Mom's car for as a target with a projectile moving at 200+ miles per hour is not a good idea.

Unfortunately the facts are not in your favor. Even making the assumptions favorable to you, the pressure at the point of impact was likely at least 50 KiloPascals. For comparison, the pressure exerted by a slim woman if she put all her weight on one high heel would be 110 KiloPascals.

The moral of the story is: Don't shoot bb guns at cars.

i didnt! she thinks it might happen. and its feet per second. maybe like a impact fomula.

its enough to go into a can. but with an object weighing in at .30 grams. after 40ish feet it quickly losses speed. the wind anything could even throw it off coarse.

and the bb is plastic!

If you are so sure your gun couldn't do this, demonstrate it to her by shooting at a clean spot on the car. Works much better than formulas. On the other hand, if you were wrong, you might get in trouble.

dougieboi said:
i didnt! she thinks it might happen. and its feet per second. maybe like a impact fomula.

its enough to go into a can. but with an object weighing in at .30 grams. after 40ish feet it quickly losses speed. the wind anything could even throw it off coarse.

and the bb is plastic!

You originally stated 40 yards, now you've stated 40 feet. That's quite a difference.

Regardless, velocity drastically increases the kinetic energy of an object. Each time velocity has been doubled, the kinetic energy has been quadrupled, so that which is small becomes mighty by the time 300 FPS (204.5 MPH) is achieved.

Additionally, the lesser the distance provided for the object to come to a complete stop, as is the case for the BB's, the greater will be the impact damage. If those plastics BB's can pierce a can, they'll likely be able to damage the paint if nothing else even at 40 yards. There's a good chance that they may put little dings in the sheet metal of the car, but realistically, we're not able to assess the damage from here.

Gnosis said:
Regardless, velocity drastically increases the kinetic energy of an object. Each time velocity has been doubled, the kinetic energy has been quadrupled, so that which is small becomes mighty by the time 300 FPS (204.5 MPH) is achieved.
However air resistance also quadruples, so the pellet may well be doing much less than that by the time it gets to the car, especially if it's 40yrds away.

Anyway it was very irresponsible of you - airguns should only be fired at younger brothers (kidding!)

mgb_phys said:
Anyway it was very irresponsible of you - airguns should only be fired at younger brothers (kidding!)
Ooh!

I have an air rifle that I bought a couple of years ago when red squirrels started getting REAL destructive around here. It is a Daisy single pump (you have to be in good shape to pump it that one time) break-barrel pellet gun rated for 1000 fps. I can shoot it at a tin can 30-40 feet away, and the can will barely move. Nice neat holes in front and back, because the can did not offer enough resistance to the pellet to slow it down and strip off some of its momentum. Due to the action of the spring-loaded piston, the rifle does not recoil - it "fore-coils" if I can coin a word, and conventional rifle scopes cannot be fitted to this rifle, since they are designed to resist front-to-back recoil.

To get back to the OP and avoid totally derailing this thread, I suggest that he visit a junk-yard or some other place with "sacrificial" vehicles and test the air-soft gun's ability to dent sheet metal before shooting at his mother's car as a demonstration. Since most salvage businesses want to keep sheet-metal as pristine as possible for future re-sale, I suggest doing the experiment at night. OK, just kidding, but there should be someplace around that has some vehicles just waiting to be scrapped (not parted out).

dougieboi said:
given:

plastic bb at 6mm in size
the bb weighs .30g
and moves at about 300FPS

the car was 40 yards away. (120ft)

i would suppose impact damage is mini here if any. the bb is plastic the car is metal?
help needed bad! thanks guys.

Experiment evidence is in order. Shoot the car again with several pellets at an undamaged region and see if any leave dents.

Related to Proving Mom Wrong - Calculating Airsoft Impacts at 40 Yards (120ft)

1. How do you calculate airsoft impacts at 40 yards?

To calculate airsoft impacts at 40 yards, you will need to know the muzzle velocity of your airsoft gun, the weight of your BBs, and the distance the BBs will travel. Using a ballistic calculator or formula, you can determine the amount of energy and force that the BB will have at 40 yards, which will give you an idea of the impact it will have.

2. Why is it important to calculate airsoft impacts at 40 yards?

Calculating airsoft impacts at 40 yards can help you determine the effective range of your airsoft gun and the power it will have at that distance. This information can be useful for adjusting your aim and making sure you are within safe shooting distances.

3. How accurate are the calculations for airsoft impacts at 40 yards?

The accuracy of the calculations will depend on the accuracy of the input data and the ballistic calculator or formula used. It is important to use accurate and consistent measurements to get the most precise results.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of airsoft impact calculations at 40 yards?

The accuracy of airsoft impact calculations can be affected by factors such as wind, humidity, elevation, and the type and quality of the airsoft gun and BBs being used. These factors can cause variations in the muzzle velocity and trajectory of the BB, which can impact the accuracy of the calculations.

5. Can the results of airsoft impact calculations at 40 yards be applied to real-life scenarios?

The results of airsoft impact calculations at 40 yards can provide a general idea of the impact and power of an airsoft gun at that distance. However, it is important to keep in mind that real-life scenarios can vary greatly and may not always align with the calculated results. It is always best to exercise caution and follow proper safety measures when using airsoft guns.