Proving Miquel's Theorem: Need Help!

• MHB
  • Thread starter pholee95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Miquel's Theorem states that if points D, E, and F are chosen within the sides of any triangle ABC, then the circumcircles of triangles AEF, BDF, and CDE will all intersect at a point M. This can be proven by drawing lines from M to each of the three points, and using the properties of cyclic quadrilaterals.
pholee95
I don't know how to start proving this theorem, so can someone please help? I need to prove that the circumcircles all intersect at a point M. Thank you!

Miquel's Theorem: If triangleABC is any triangle, and points D, E, F are chosen in the interiors of the sides BC, AC, and AB, respectively, then the circumcircles for triangleAEF, triangleBDF, and triangleCDE intersect in a point M.

I have attached here the figure of theorem.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-11-21 at 11.01.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2016-11-21 at 11.01.41 AM.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 53
Mathematics news on Phys.org
pholee95 said:
I don't know how to start proving this theorem, so can someone please help? I need to prove that the circumcircles all intersect at a point M. Thank you!

Miquel's Theorem: If triangleABC is any triangle, and points D, E, F are chosen in the interiors of the sides BC, AC, and AB, respectively, then the circumcircles for triangleAEF, triangleBDF, and triangleCDE intersect in a point M.

I have attached here the figure of theorem.
Have you looked at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miquel's_theorem? The trick seems to be to take $M$ to be the point where two of the three circles meet, draw the lines $MD$, $ME$ and $MF$, then use properties of cyclic quadrilaterals to show that $M$ also lies on the third circle.

Related to Proving Miquel's Theorem: Need Help!

1. What is Miquel's Theorem?

Miquel's Theorem states that if three circles intersect at a single point, then the intersection of the three circles will form four concyclic points (points that lie on the same circle). In simpler terms, it means that if you draw three circles that intersect at one point, there will be four other points on the circles that can also be connected to form a circle.

2. Why is Miquel's Theorem important?

Miquel's Theorem is important because it allows us to make new connections and find new relationships between different geometric shapes. It also has various applications in geometry, such as in solving problems involving tangential and inscribed circles.

3. How can Miquel's Theorem be proven?

There are a few different ways to prove Miquel's Theorem. One approach is to use coordinate geometry and set up equations for the three circles and their intersection point. Another approach is to use properties of cyclic quadrilaterals and prove that the four concyclic points must exist. You can also use triangle properties and angle relationships to prove the theorem.

4. Are there any real-life applications of Miquel's Theorem?

Yes, Miquel's Theorem has several real-life applications. For example, it can be used in designing and constructing geometric shapes, such as buildings and bridges. It also has applications in navigation and mapping, as well as in computer graphics and animation.

5. Are there any variations of Miquel's Theorem?

Yes, there are several variations of Miquel's Theorem, each with its own set of conditions and conclusions. Some examples include the generalized Miquel's Theorem, which applies to more than three circles, and the inverse Miquel's Theorem, which states that if four points lie on a single circle, then their Miquel's point (the intersection of the three circles formed by connecting them) must also lie on that circle.