Proving magnitude of impulse on either spheres

In summary, the impulse on the balls is equal to the difference in their initial velocities multiplied by the coefficient of restitution.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

A sphere of mass m is moving with a speed V along a horizontal straight line. It collides with an identical sphere of mass m moving along the same straight line with speed u (u<V). Show that the magnitude of impulse on either sphere is
½m(1+e)(V-u), where e is the coefficient of restitution between the two spheres.

Homework Equations

m1u1 +m2u2 = m1v1 +m2v2
V2-V1/ u1-u2= e

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated impulse on sphere with velocity V. I =m(V1-V). Using coefficient of restitution, I get I = m(u1-e(V-u)-V). Using equation formed from conservation of momentum, I get I =m[u-V1- e(V-u)]. I have trouble getting rid of the u and V1 terms. How do I go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is confusing. How are V1 and so on related to the V and u given in the problem statement?

mfb said:
Your notation is confusing. How are V1 and so on related to the V and u given in the problem statement?
V1 and u1 are the velocities after collision.

mfb said:
What are V2 and u2 then?
Oh, that's just the general formula.

toforfiltum said:
V1 and u1 are the velocities after collision.
I think you mean those are the velocities of the first ball, after and before collision respectively. In the context of the question, u2 = u, and u1 = V.
Your two 'relevant equations' have two unknowns, the two velocities after impact. Use them to express those velocities in terms of the given velocities and e.

haruspex said:
I think you mean those are the velocities of the first ball, after and before collision respectively. In the context of the question, u2 = u, and u1 = V.
Your two 'relevant equations' have two unknowns, the two velocities after impact. Use them to express those velocities in terms of the given velocities and e.
Okay, to be clear, I define V and u as the initial speeds of the balls, and V1 and u1 as the speeds after collision.
So, since impulse is the same for both balls but in opposite direction, I form an equation m(V1- V) = -m(u1-u). Therefore I get m(V1 + u1) =m(V =u). However, coefficient of restitution gives me u1-v1 = e(V-u), and the u1-V1 term is not the same as in the first equation, so I can't make a complete substitution. How do I go from here?

You can solve the last equation for u1 and plug it into the first one. That allows to solve for V1 which is the last unknown in the system. Then you can calculate the magnitude of impulse.

Related to Proving magnitude of impulse on either spheres

What is the definition of impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object over a certain period of time. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied.

How is the magnitude of impulse determined on spheres?

The magnitude of impulse on spheres can be determined by using the formula: J = F * Δt, where J is the magnitude of impulse, F is the force applied to the spheres, and Δt is the time period over which the force is applied.

What is the relationship between impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are directly related. The impulse experienced by an object is equal to the change in momentum of that object. This means that a larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum.

How does the mass of the spheres affect the magnitude of impulse?

The mass of the spheres does not directly affect the magnitude of impulse, as the formula for impulse does not include mass. However, a larger mass will result in a smaller change in velocity for the same amount of impulse, as momentum is also affected by mass.

Can the magnitude of impulse be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of impulse can be negative. This means that the direction of the force applied is opposite to the direction of motion of the object, resulting in a decrease in momentum.