Proving lorentz invariance of Dirac bilinears

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of Lorentz invariance of the Dirac bilinears. The focus is on the vector current and the issue of finding the commutation relation [\gamma^\mu,S]. The conversation also mentions a possible mismatch in notation and suggests using a formula from Peskin & Schroeder to solve the problem.
GreyBadger
I'm trying to work through the proof of the Lorentz invariance of the Dirac bilinears. As an example, the simplest:

[tex]\bar{\psi}^\prime\psi^\prime = \psi^{\prime\dagger}\gamma_0\psi^\prime[/tex]
[tex]= \psi^{\dagger}S^\dagger\gamma_0 S\psi[/tex]
[tex]= \psi^{\dagger}\gamma_0\gamma_0S^\dagger\gamma_0 S\psi[/tex]
[tex]= \psi^{\dagger}\gamma_0 S^{-1} S\psi[/tex]
[tex]= \psi^{\dagger}\gamma_0\psi[/tex]
[tex]= \bar{\psi}\psi[/tex]

Where the following have been used: [tex]\gamma_0\gamma_0=\textbf{I}[/tex], [tex]S^{-1} = \gamma_0 S^\dagger\gamma_0[/tex].

Now, attempting this for the vector current, I get stuck:

[tex]\bar{\psi}^\prime\gamma^\mu\psi^\prime = \psi^{\prime\dagger}\gamma_0\gamma^\mu\psi^\prime[/tex]
[tex]=\psi^\dagger S^\dagger\gamma_0\gamma^\mu S\psi[/tex]
[tex]=\psi^\dagger\gamma_0\gamma_0S^\dagger\gamma_0\gamma^\mu S\phi[/tex]
[tex]=\psi^\dagger\gamma_0S^{-1}\gamma^\mu S\phi[/tex]

The problem being I don't know the commutation relation [tex][\gamma^\mu,S][/tex]. Given the expression for [tex]S(a)[/tex]:

[tex]S(a)=\exp\left( \frac{i}{4\sigma_{\mu\nu}}(a^{\mu\nu} - g^{\mu\nu}) \right)[/tex],

I could compute the commutator explicitly in the infinitesimal limit ([tex]e^x = 1 + x[/tex]), but this seems a bit annoying... Are there any tricks?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for S(a) is a bit strange. Take a look at Peskin & Schroeder, page 42. (The relevant page is available on books.google.com if you don't have the physical book.) There's a bit of a mismatch in notation - what you call S, P&S call [tex]\Lambda_{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]. And then you can stick their formula (3.29) into your equation and that immediately gives you the correct answer.

Last edited:
I could well have got my notes confused... I have a copy of P&S on my desk, so will have a look when I'm in work (Can't find a preview on Google Books). Cheers!

Related to Proving lorentz invariance of Dirac bilinears

1. What is Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should remain the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocities or positions. This principle is a cornerstone of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. What are Dirac bilinears?

Dirac bilinears are mathematical expressions that involve the combination of two Dirac spinors. They are used in quantum field theory to describe the interactions between particles and are essential for understanding the behavior of fermions, such as electrons and quarks.

3. Why is it important to prove Lorentz invariance of Dirac bilinears?

Proving Lorentz invariance of Dirac bilinears is important because it confirms that these mathematical expressions accurately describe the behavior of particles in different reference frames. This is crucial in understanding the fundamental laws of physics and making accurate predictions about the behavior of particles.

4. How is Lorentz invariance of Dirac bilinears proven?

Lorentz invariance of Dirac bilinears is proven by showing that these expressions remain unchanged under Lorentz transformations, which are equations that describe the relationship between measurements made by observers in different reference frames. This involves using mathematical techniques, such as tensor calculus, to manipulate the equations and show that they are invariant.

5. What implications does the proof of Lorentz invariance of Dirac bilinears have?

The proof of Lorentz invariance of Dirac bilinears has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles. It confirms the validity of the laws of physics in different reference frames and allows for the development of accurate theories and predictions about the behavior of particles. It also supports the fundamental principles of special relativity and the notion that the laws of physics are the same for all observers.