Proving Logarithm Equations: 1/log3a + 1/log4a = 1/log12a

• Thread starter ElementUser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, the problem is to prove 1/log3a + 1/log4a = 1/log12a using logarithm rules. The attempt at a solution involves converting the logarithms to a common base, but this approach does not lead to a solution. Instead, converting everything to a single log base, such as log_12, simplifies the equation and proves that the left side is equal to the right side.
ElementUser

Homework Statement

Prove:

1/log3a + 1/log4a = 1/log12a

Homework Equations

ay=x
Logarithms rules (addition, subtraction, power, etc.)

logax=logbx/logba

The Attempt at a Solution

Left Side:

1/log3a + 1/log4a
=log3a+log4a/log12a (via common denominator)

The problem is how to add logarithms with different bases. I tried converting the log3a to log4a (I get log4a/log43). After that, I subbed it back into the equation.

=log4a/log43+log4a

But I don't think that gets me anywhere...

Right side still remains the same (1/log12a)

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance :).

P.S. What program do people use to make their equations look so neat (the fraction looks real - ex. 1/4 really looks like 1 (horizontal line) 4)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's just convert everything to a single log base, like log_12. E.g. log_3(a)=log_12(a)/log_12(3).

Oh, wow. Sigh, I hate it when you take the wrong approach in proving Left Side equals Right Side.

Thanks for the help! Can't believe it was so simple after your suggestion :).

Related to Proving Logarithm Equations: 1/log3a + 1/log4a = 1/log12a

1. What is a logarithm equation?

A logarithm equation is an equation that involves logarithms, which are mathematical functions that represent the inverse of exponential functions. Logarithms are used to solve for the unknown value in exponential equations.

2. How do you prove a logarithm equation?

To prove a logarithm equation, you need to isolate the logarithm on one side of the equation and then use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. In this case, we can use the product rule and the quotient rule to combine the two logarithms on the left side of the equation.

3. What are the properties of logarithms?

The properties of logarithms include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base formula. The product rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient rule states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator. The power rule states that the logarithm of a power is equal to the exponent multiplied by the logarithm of the base. The change of base formula allows us to rewrite logarithms with a different base.

4. Why is it important to prove logarithm equations?

Proving logarithm equations is important because it ensures that the solution is accurate and valid. It also allows us to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve.

5. How can I check my solution for a logarithm equation?

You can check your solution for a logarithm equation by plugging it back into the original equation and simplifying. The solution should make the equation true. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the given solution.