Palace 'ghost' caught on camera

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the image of a ghost that was captured on video at Hampton Court Palace in London is likely a hoax. The blurry images and lack of other footage released makes it difficult to determine if the figure is a ghost or not.
thoughts on this?
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/19/hampton.ghost.ap/index.html [Broken]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say. So far I think it could be a prank or a hoax, but I would like to see the video footage. I would also like to see other shots from the same camera. The blurry areas are a bit interesting, but that could be caused by rain or other contaminants on the lens. If I see any follow up to this I will post.

I have several reservations about this!

- ghost stories, generally tell of a ghost walking on the height or level that it would once have been on doing things that generally they would have done back in the day. Like walking around with a candle or whatnot. Now I am unclear of fire regulations back in the tudor persiod, but i very much doubt that dor would have been there.

- To pull off a good hoax, you don't go in clothes everyone knows you wear, and yu don't put a big neon sign over your head saying "THIS IS A HOAX". If the person was a clever hoaxer, they would have done it properly and got all the details sorted.

- There are no images of any other cameras released. Now i wonder why we have heard nothing of whatother cameras see? Surely there are! There won't just be 1 camera, covering a fire exit! This video should be released to prove something.

Im very fairly confident this a hoax, I am unsure how people can quite believe this could be real. I think it might be an ttempt at either christmas cheer, or to put a boost into the tourist attractions earnings!

Last edited:
Even scarier than the "ghost", the number of people who believe its a ghost...

From the CNN Poll:
Do you think the Hampton Court Palace image is a hoax?

Yes 53% (23573 votes)
No 47% (20586 votes)

Total: 44159 votes

(Scary or disappointing, I haven't decided...)

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Go here for a news report [Real Player] video and an animated GIF:
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/
that animated gif reveals it all for me. I mean eveidence from that...

- it would like you to think the doors swung open where as there is a clear gap between when the doors are full yopen and when the doors are closed, thus easily giving time for someone to swing them open then get back.

- when he comes out, his arms are extended as if he is going to close the doors. However due to the lag of the video, you don't see him grip it. Ghosts cannot "grip2 anything, especially if it had been been subsequent to them dying (as ideas would suggest). The only ever evidence that he closes the door himself/herself is at the very end of it, when they grip the door handle with both arms and pulls it shut.

- And the most obvious thing,k which I am surprised nobody has shouted out yet is that the CAMERA IS MOVING, as if somebody is holding it. Its not even "swaing in the wind" moving, its as ifsomeone hasnt got a steady hand.

and everything i said above. I cannot believe people are buying into this obvious hoax !

Last edited:
Originally posted by Bunting
I cannot believe people are buying into this obvious hoax !

I like the part where the "ghost" tries to close each door, but then he has to reach out again; twice! I guess ghosts are either clumsy or they have slippery fingers.

Our ghost also casts a shadow.

My only question is how those doors originially opened before the "ghost" came to make a futile attempt at closing it. I can't really tell because of the low-res camera shot.

As for the blurriness, everything about that footage seems blurry to me.

Last edited:
I hadn't seen the video. Looks to me like they used fishing line and some dope in a costume.

Originally posted by motai
My only question is how those doors originially opened before the "ghost" came to make a futile attempt at closing it. I can't really tell because of the low-res camera shot.

As for the blurriness, everything about that footage seems blurry to me.
he swings it open just after the camera has taken the shot then steps backa little bit. Or fishing line as he said, but i don't reckon they were that sophisticated.

AND
From the Beeb

...It was 0600BST when the thermal cameras detected a figure moving about the gallery. But when it walked to a cupboard and took out a vacuum cleaner the experts realized it was no ghost.
:P

Origonally Posted By Ivan
Our ghost also casts a shadow.
I am pretty surprised all the British TVs and Newspapers are actually buying into this. Its amongst the worst hoaxes I've seen. They might as well cover roswell or do an area51 special ecause its going to be just as useful to everyone :)

Last edited:
Looks like their tourist numbers will increase.

Nautica

1. What is the story behind the "Palace 'ghost' caught on camera?"

The "Palace 'ghost' caught on camera" refers to a video that went viral in 2019, allegedly showing a ghostly figure walking through the corridors of Hampton Court Palace in England. The video was captured by a security camera and has sparked a lot of speculation about the existence of ghosts in the palace.

2. Is the "Palace 'ghost' caught on camera" real?

There is no conclusive evidence to prove that the "Palace 'ghost' caught on camera" is real. While the video does show a figure walking through the corridor, it could easily be a person wearing a costume or a trick of the light. Therefore, it is not considered a reliable piece of evidence for the existence of ghosts.

3. Have there been any other reports of ghost sightings at Hampton Court Palace?

There have been numerous reports of ghost sightings at Hampton Court Palace over the years. Some of the most famous ones include sightings of the ghost of Catherine Howard, the fifth wife of King Henry VIII, and the ghost of Sybil Penn, a former servant who is said to haunt the palace's Clock Court.

4. How does science explain ghost sightings?

There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of ghosts. Many ghost sightings can be explained by natural phenomena such as optical illusions, sleep paralysis, or hallucinations. Some people may also have a heightened sensitivity to electromagnetic fields, which can cause them to perceive strange sensations or experiences.

5. Is there any ongoing research or scientific study on ghosts?

While there is no scientific research specifically focused on ghosts, there have been numerous studies on paranormal experiences and related phenomena. However, these studies have not been able to prove the existence of ghosts. Most scientists believe that the concept of ghosts is a cultural belief and cannot be scientifically proven.