Proving Isomorphism Between Finite Group and Z_2 Using Group Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that a finite group G is isomorphic to a finite number of copies of the group Z_2. This is done by defining a homomorphism from G to Z_2 and showing that the kernel is the only possibility. The group G is shown to be commutative and the fundamental theorem of finite abelian groups is used to prove the isomorphism. The conversation also mentions using Cauchy's theorem and the fact that the order of G is in the form of 2^k to further support the proof.
mathmadx
Let G be a finite group. For all elements of G (the following holds: g^2=e(the idendity.) So , all except the idendity have order two.

Proof that G is isomorphic to a finite number of copies of Z_2 ( the group of adittion mod 2, Z_2 has only two elements (zero and one).)

I can try to tell you what I have already tried, but please, can someone give a hint in the right direction..? I basically need a bijection from G to (Z_2)^m, but no idea how I can do it( In particular: they should have the same size as they are finite.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Define [tex] \phi : G \rightarrow Z_2 [/tex], so that it is forced to be surjective; i.e. tell the identity where to go. Show [tex] \phi [/tex] is a hom. Then look at the kernel. There is only one possibility.

I am sorry, I am not able to see it. I keep on thinking about the fact that m products of Z_2 has order 2^m, which is supposed to be equal to n( the order of the group G..)

I don't even get your advice: How can we tell the identity where to go!? The identity(of G) should always go to idendity(of Z_2). ..

Sorry, I am confused...

No one who can provide some insights..?

mathmadx said:
No one who can provide some insights..?

Show the group is isomorphic to [tex] Z_2 \times Z_2 \times \ldots [/tex], so

G must be commutative since it is the case that forall g, [tex] g = g^{-1} [/tex] (since gg=1)
In particular, [tex] ab = (ab)^{-1} = b^{-1}a^{-1} = ba (by assumption) [/tex] So that G is commutative.

Next, you could use the fundamental theorem of finite abelian groups, says that any abelian finite group is isomorphic to [tex] Z_{m_1} \times Z_{m_2} \times \ldots [/tex]

Next, look to intuitionize what is happening, look at subgroups generated by a single non identity element. There will be the |G|- 1 of them and they will all have order 2. There is only one group of order 2 up to isomorphism. What is the next step?

We know by cauchy that the order of G is in the form 2^k. Applying this combined with the fundamental theorem is the proof.

Related to Proving Isomorphism Between Finite Group and Z_2 Using Group Theory

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the structure and properties of groups, which are sets of elements with a binary operation that satisfies certain properties.

2. What is an isomorphism in group theory?

An isomorphism in group theory is a bijective mapping between two groups that preserves the group structure and operation. In other words, the groups have the same structure but different elements.

3. How do you determine if two groups are isomorphic?

To determine if two groups are isomorphic, you can check if there exists a bijective mapping between the groups that preserves the group structure and operation. This can be done by comparing the elements and operation tables of the two groups.

4. What are some examples of isomorphic groups?

Some examples of isomorphic groups are the group of integers under addition and the group of nonzero real numbers under multiplication. Both of these groups have the same structure and operation, but the elements are different.

5. Why is isomorphism important in group theory?

Isomorphism is important in group theory because it allows us to understand and compare different groups by identifying their common structure. It also helps us to simplify and solve complex problems by reducing them to simpler isomorphic groups.