Proving Irrationality of \sqrt[3]{3}

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the cube root of 3 is irrational. One participant has provided some steps towards the proof and is seeking guidance on how to proceed. Another participant has shared a link to a proof by another member. Ultimately, it is concluded that any integer squared will have a factor of 3, and therefore, the cube root of 3 cannot be rational.
SpatialVacancy
Hello all,

Prove that [tex] \sqrt[3]{3} [/tex] is irrational.

Heres what I have so far:
[tex] \sqrt[3]{3}=\dfrac{m}{n}[/tex]
[tex]3=\dfrac{m^3}{n^3}[/tex]
[tex]m^3=3n^3 [/tex]

Now, I think I am to assume that there is more than one factor of three on the right, or something, I don't know. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any integer n is either
1) a multiple of 3: n= 3m in which case n2= 9m2= 3(3m2)

2) a multiple of 3 plus 1: n= 3m+1 in which case n2= 9m2+ 6m+ 1= 3(3m2+ 2m)+ 1

3) a multiple of 3 plus 2: n= 3m+2 in which case n2= 9m2+ 12m+ 4= 9m2+ 12m+ 3+ 1= 3(3m2+ 4m+1)+ 1.

In other words, if n2 is a multiple of 3, then n must be a multiple of 3.

Halls,it's the 3-rd power. :wink: I've given him the link to Hurkyl's general proof in the other thread in HS homework section...

Daniel.

Related to Proving Irrationality of \sqrt[3]{3}

1. What does it mean for a number to be irrational?

A number is considered irrational if it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it cannot be written as a simple fraction, such as 1/2 or 3/4.

2. Why is proving the irrationality of √[3]{3} important?

Proving the irrationality of a number is important because it helps us better understand the properties of numbers and their relationships. It also allows us to classify numbers into different categories, which can be useful in various mathematical calculations and applications.

3. How can we prove that √[3]{3} is irrational?

One way to prove the irrationality of √[3]{3} is by contradiction. Assume that √[3]{3} is rational, which means it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, a/b. Then, we can square both sides to get 3 = a^3/b^3. This shows that 3 is a perfect cube, which is not true since 3 is a prime number. Therefore, our assumption is false and √[3]{3} must be irrational.

4. What other methods can be used to prove the irrationality of √[3]{3}?

Aside from the proof by contradiction, there are other methods that can be used to prove the irrationality of √[3]{3}. One method is the prime factorization method, which involves breaking down the number into its prime factors and showing that it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. Another method is the continued fraction method, which involves representing the number as a continued fraction and showing that it is not a repeating pattern.

5. Are there any other numbers that are proven to be irrational?

Yes, there are many other numbers that have been proven to be irrational. Some well-known examples include √[2]{2}, √[5]{5}, and π. In fact, it is believed that the majority of real numbers are irrational, as there are infinitely more irrational numbers than rational numbers.