Proving Irrational Numbers: Even Natural Numbers & Prime Products

In summary, we discussed the proof that if n^2 is even, then n is even as well, and also the statement that the product of an infinite number of primes bigger than 2 is not even. We also discussed the concept of divisibility and how it is not applicable to infinite products as they do not converge to an integer.
limitkiller
Prove that:
1-If n^2 (n is a natural number) is even then n is even too .
2-Product of infinit number of primes bigger than 2 is not even.

Please do not "google it for me" :biggrin: .

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi limitkiller! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi limitkiller! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I wanted too prove 1 (If n^2 (n is a natural number) is even then n is even too).

If n^2 is even then it is divisible by 2.

Then it has 2 as its divisors because it is an integer that divides n without leaving a reminder.

Then I said :Who says?, 2 (Product of infinit number of primes bigger than 2 is not even) might be incorrect . :biggrin:

hi limitkiller! :smile:
limitkiller said:
I wanted too prove 1 (If n^2 (n is a natural number) is even then n is even too).

Then it has 2 as its divisors because it is an integer that divides n without leaving a reminder.

might be easier to prove the opposite …

start by assuming n is odd :wink:
Then I said :Who says?, 2 (Product of infinit number of primes bigger than 2 is not even) might be incorrect . :biggrin:

what can you say about a prime bigger than 2?

tiny-tim said:

might be easier to prove the opposite …

start by assuming n is odd :wink:

what can you say about a prime bigger than 2?

ummm I think I forgot to write one of the lines.Originally it should be like this:

So n has 2 as its divisors too .

Then I said :Who says?, 2 (Product of infinit number of primes bigger than 2 is not even) might be incorrect .

About a prime bigger than 2 we can say its not divisible by 2, and product of a finit number of them is not divisible by 2...
But I couldn't find anything about product of infinit number of them.

limitkiller said:

So n has 2 as its divisors too .

yes, but you have to give a reason for that

(i still think my odd way is easier :wink:)
But I couldn't find anything about product of infinit number of them.

ah i see … i had assumed that was a misprint

there's no such thing as a product of an infinite number of numbers :redface:, i think it must mean "a product of any size, however large"

limitkiller said:

This proves that if a number is even, then its square is even. What you want to prove is the "converse": if the square of a number is even, then the number is even.

If n is odd then it is of the form 2k+ 1 for some integer k. What is the square of that?

There is no such thing as a "product of an infinite number of primes". You can prove that the product of any number of primes, larger than 2, is odd.

Why was this thread titled "irrational numbers"?

tiny-tim said:
there's no such thing as a product of an infinite number of numbers

Why?

Why was this thread titled "irrational numbers"?
Because (1) was used in the proof of "[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is not rational"

there's no such thing as a product of an infinite number of numbers
Because of the way multiplication is defined!
We define the product of two numbers, then define the product of three numbers as "xyz= (xy)z"- i.e. as the product of the two numbers xy and z (and use the associative property of multiplication to show that this is the same as x(yz)).

We can then inductively define the product of n+ 1 numbers as [tex](x_1x_2x_3\cdot\cdot\cdot x_n)x_{n+1}[/tex]. But that only gives us the product of N numbers for N a positive integer.

Then [itex]\prod_{k=1}^\infty k[/itex] is meaningless.But it is not,is it?

limitkiller said:
Then [itex]\prod_{k=1}^\infty k[/itex] is meaningless.But it is not,is it?

If you would like to give it a meaning, then the product would still diverge. So you can't really talk about divisibility...

micromass said:
then the product would still diverge. So you can't really talk about divisibility...

I don't get you :rolleyes: . why does it mean that we can not talk about divisibility?

limitkiller said:
I don't get you :rolleyes: . why does it mean that we can not talk about divisibility?

Because the product

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{+\infty}{k}[/tex]

diverges. It doesn't equal an integer, and you need integers to talk about divisibility.

micromass said:
Because the product

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{+\infty}{k}[/tex]

diverges. It doesn't equal an integer, and you need integers to talk about divisibility.

isn't it an integer itself?
for example 2^+[itex]\infty[/itex] is divisible by 2.

limitkiller said:
isn't it an integer itself?
for example 2^+[itex]\infty[/itex] is divisible by 2.

No: infinity is NOT an integer or a real number. You cannot calculate with infinity like you calculate with numbers.

At the very best, you might say that infinity is an extended real number. But that still doesn't allow you to talk about divisibility...

We have a good FAQ on the topic: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=507003

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
No: infinity is NOT an integer or a real number. You cannot calculate with infinity like you calculate with numbers.

At the very best, you might say that infinity is an extended real number. But that still doesn't allow you to talk about divisibility...

We have a good FAQ on the topic: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=507003

Thank you.
But I don't think I used infinity illegaly...
"Infinity is not a real number" does not mean that [tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{k}[/tex] is not a real number or even [tex]\prod_{k=1}^\infty k[/tex] is not a real number.

Last edited by a moderator:
But wouldn't it be possible to talk of certain properties of an infinite series?

I mean, for example, 1^(anything)=1. So, 1^(infinity) must also be 1, because regardless of the number of times we multiply, the answer will always be 1,right?

limitkiller said:
Thank you.
"Infinity is not a real number" does not mean that [tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{k}[/tex] is not a real number or even [tex]\prod_{k=1}^\infty k[/tex] is not a real number.

Both of those or not real numbers, whether you like it or not.

jobsism said:
But wouldn't it be possible to talk of certain properties of an infinite series?

I mean, for example, 1^(anything)=1. So, 1^(infinity) must also be 1, because regardless of the number of times we multiply, the answer will always be 1,right?

No, [itex]1^{+\infty}[/itex] is an undetermined form (even in the extended real numbers). The reason is the sequence

[tex]\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^n[/tex]

Naively, you could say that [itex]1+\frac{1}{n}[/itex] converges to 1 and that n converges to infinity, and thus

[tex]\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^n\rightarrow 1^{+\infty}=1[/tex]

But this is NOT true! Check it for yourself: take a calculator and compute the first several terms in the sequence, it will not converge to 1!

The limit for the sequence is e and is defined as 2.718...

micromass said:
Both of those or not real numbers, whether you like it or not.

then why is [tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{k!}[/tex] a real number?

I got it...

limitkiller said:
then why is [tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{k!}[/tex] a real number?

Because that series converges.

micromass said:
Because that series converges.
Thanks

limitkiller said:
Thank you.
This is a surprisingly naive notion of infinity. It surprises me because I don't understand how you can know the terminology so well and even represent it competently with LaTeX but not understand what it is you yourself are saying...

In your summation example, what you are saying is shorthand for this:
[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\sum_{k=1}^x \frac{1}{k}[/tex]
As you can see, this sequence grows without bound. It has no limit. That is to say, the limit doesn't exist. Real numbers exist. Therefore, the limit of this sequence can't be a real number. QED

You can peruse this thread about a mathematical paradox to get a better understanding of how limits differ from their... constructions, for lack of a better term...

Just because each successive approximation is a real number doesn't mean the limit must also be a real number...

If you extend the natural numbers by infinity, say that any unbounded sequence converges to infinity and that infinity * n = infinity for all natural numbers n, then you can extend the definition of divisibility for infinity. Clearly infinity is divisible by all numbers in this case.

disregardthat said:
If you extend the natural numbers by infinity, say that any unbounded sequence converges to infinity and that infinity * n = infinity for all natural numbers n, then you can extend the definition of divisibility for infinity. Clearly infinity is divisible by all numbers in this case.

mmm :blushing: … so 2 is divisible by 3 ? :wink:

Related to Proving Irrational Numbers: Even Natural Numbers & Prime Products

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it cannot be written as a simple fraction where the numerator and denominator are both whole numbers.

2. How can you prove that a number is irrational?

One method of proving that a number is irrational is by showing that it cannot be expressed as a finite or repeating decimal. Another method is by using the proof by contradiction, where we assume the number is rational and then show that it leads to a contradiction.

3. What are even natural numbers?

Even natural numbers are positive integers that are divisible by 2. They are expressed in the form 2n, where n is a whole number.

4. What are prime products?

Prime products are numbers that are the result of multiplying two or more prime numbers together. For example, 6 is a prime product because it is the product of 2 and 3, both of which are prime numbers.

5. Can an irrational number be an even natural number or a prime product?

No, an irrational number cannot be an even natural number or a prime product because these numbers can always be expressed as a ratio of two integers, making them rational numbers.