Proving Inscribed Angle Theorem for Triangle Side Lengths

• MHB
  • Thread starter paulmdrdo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary: This proves that $ABC$ is an isosceles triangle with $AB = AC$.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an isosceles triangle and finding the other two angles. It is determined that $ABC$ is a circular segment and $BAC$ is an inscribed angle, making it half of the central angle $BOC$. This proves that $ABC$ is an isosceles triangle with $AB = AC$ and the other two angles being $15^{\circ}$.
paulmdrdo1
I already found the side lengths that's being asked in the problem. But the part that I'm having difficulty is the Proving part. Can you help me do that? Thanks!

Attachments

• trigo2.jpg
    trigo2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 57
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Triangle $OAB$ is isosceles, so what must the other two angles be?

There is another way of seeing this that proves in one single argument.

Notice that $BOC$ is the angle seen from the center of the arc, while $BAC$ is an angle seen from the circumference covering the same arc. This means that $BAC$ is half the angle $BOC$, therefore $BAC = 15^{\circ}$.

Sorry for barging in. :)

Best wishes.

MarkFL said:
Triangle $OAB$ is isosceles, so what must the other two angles be?

how did you know that it's an isosceles triangle?

- - - Updated - - -

Fantini said:
There is another way of seeing this that proves in one single argument.

Notice that $BOC$ is the angle seen from the center of the arc, while $BAC$ is an angle seen from the circumference covering the same arc. This means that $BAC$ is half the angle $BOC$, therefore $BAC = 15^{\circ}$.

Sorry for barging in. :)

Best wishes.

I didn't get it. Can you please elaborate?

paulmdrdo said:
how did you know that it's an isosceles triangle?

$\overline{OA}$ and $\overline{OB}$ are both radii of the same circular segment, right?

The problem says that $ABC$ is the arc of a circumference. This means that $BAC$ is an inscribed angle in this circumference. See here.

Now look at the angle $BOC$. This is the central angle. According to the inscribed angle theorem this means that the angle $BAC$ is half the angle $BOC$. Since $BOC = 30^{\circ}$ then $BAC = 15^{\circ}$.

Related to Proving Inscribed Angle Theorem for Triangle Side Lengths

1. How do you prove the length of a triangle's side?

To prove the length of a triangle's side, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. What is the most common method for proving triangle side lengths?

The most common method for proving triangle side lengths is through the use of geometric theorems, such as the Pythagorean theorem, the Law of Sines, and the Law of Cosines.

3. Can I use any of the triangle congruence theorems to prove side lengths?

Yes, the triangle congruence theorems, such as Side-Side-Side (SSS), Side-Angle-Side (SAS), and Angle-Side-Angle (ASA), can be used to prove the lengths of triangle sides.

4. What is the difference between proving a triangle's side length and measuring it?

Proving a triangle's side length involves using mathematical theorems and proofs to show that the length of a side is equal to a specific value. Measuring a triangle's side length involves using a ruler or other measuring tool to physically determine the length of a side.

5. Are there any online tools or resources that can help me prove triangle side lengths?

Yes, there are many online tools and resources available, such as interactive geometry software, triangle calculators, and educational websites, that can assist in proving triangle side lengths. It is important to use reliable and reputable sources when seeking assistance with mathematical proofs.