Proving inequality using Mean Value Theorem

In summary, the conversation is about using the mean value theorem to prove an inequality involving a function $g(x)$ and the function $x^{-2/3}$. The approach is to use the mean value theorem on the function $f(x)$ and then relate the values of $g(x)$ and $f'(x)$. The given solution involves fixing a value $x$ and using the mean value theorem on $f(x)$ to show that $g(x) \le x^{-2/3}$ for all $x > 0$.
Samme013
View attachment 3373

Need help with this exercise been stuck on it for a while i think i get the gist of what i am supposed to do but can't seem to get it to work i am definitely missing something. I set h(x)= x-2/3 - g(x) and tried using the mean value theorem on [a,b] and then tried finding the minimum value of h'(x) in order to find a relation between h(a),h(b) but an't seem to get the given answer. Thanks in advance , really need to get the exercise done

Attachments

• TIbFuOK.png
    TIbFuOK.png
    9 KB · Views: 44
Physics news on Phys.org
Samme013 said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3373

Need help with this exercise been stuck on it for a while i think i get the gist of what i am supposed to do but can't seem to get it to work i am definitely missing something. I set h(x)= x-2/3 - g(x) and tried using the mean value theorem on [a,b] and then tried finding the minimum value of h'(x) in order to find a relation between h(a),h(b) but an't seem to get the given answer. Thanks in advance , really need to get the exercise done

Hi Samme013,

To prove that the inequality $g(x) \le x^{-2/3}$ is valid for all $x > 0$, apply the mean value theorem to $f$, not $h$. Namely, fix $x > 0$. Since $f$ is continuous on $[x, x+3]$ and differentiable on $(x, x+3)$, the mean value theorem gives a $c\in (x, x+3)$ such that $f(x + 3) - f(x) = f'(c)((x + 3) - 3)$, or $g(x) = 3f'(c)$. Since $f'(c) = \frac{1}{3}c^{-2/3}$, $g(x) = c^{-2/3}$. Since $c > x$, $c^{-2/3} \le x^{-2/3}$. Therefore $g(x) \le x^{-2/3}$. Since $x$ was an arbitrary positive number, $g(x) \le x^{-2/3}$ for all $x > 0$.

Related to Proving inequality using Mean Value Theorem

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval.

How can the Mean Value Theorem be used to prove inequalities?

The Mean Value Theorem can be used to prove inequalities by showing that the slope of the tangent line is always greater than or less than the slope of the secant line, depending on the direction of the inequality. This can be done by considering the sign of the derivative of the function on the interval.

What is the process for proving inequalities using the Mean Value Theorem?

The process for proving inequalities using the Mean Value Theorem involves first identifying the function and the interval on which the inequality is to be proven. Then, the derivative of the function is taken and its sign is determined. Depending on the direction of the inequality, the value of the derivative at the endpoints of the interval is compared to the value of the derivative at the point guaranteed by the Mean Value Theorem.

What are some common mistakes when using the Mean Value Theorem to prove inequalities?

Some common mistakes when using the Mean Value Theorem to prove inequalities include not considering the sign of the derivative, using the wrong interval, and assuming that the function is differentiable on the entire interval when it may only be differentiable on the open interval.

Are there any limitations to using the Mean Value Theorem to prove inequalities?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Mean Value Theorem to prove inequalities. The function must be continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, and the inequality must hold for all points in the interval. Additionally, the Mean Value Theorem only guarantees the existence of a point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line, but it does not necessarily provide the exact value of that point.