Proving inequality related to certain property of function

In summary: I will try that next.In summary, the equation f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) can be solved for x and y using the following equation: f((x + y) / 2) ≤ 1/2 (f(x) + f(y))
songoku

Homework Statement

Consider a real valued function f which satisfies the equation f (x+y) = f (x) . f (y) for all real numbers x and y. Prove:

f ((x + y) / 2) ≤ 1/2 (f(x) + f(y))

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Please give me a hint to start solving this question. I have found that f (x) = (f (x/2))2 but I don't know what to do next.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use AM-GM, ##{A+B\over 2} \ge \sqrt{AB}## where ##A,B >0##.

Likes songoku
Buffu said:
Use AM-GM, ##{A+B\over 2} \ge \sqrt{AB}## where ##A,B >0##.

Thank you

For any ##a,b\in \mathbb{R}##, we have the following ##(a-b)^2 \geqslant 0##. Then let ##a = f(\frac{x}{2})## and ##b = f(\frac{y}{2})##, and see if you reach conclusion.

Likes songoku
Songoku, when you are asked to prove something, sometimes, its wise to assume the result which you have been asked to prove. And you have both, the hypothesis and the conclusion. And with it, you try to see where does this lead to. Lot of times, this leads to some other familiar result. And then you can work backwards from that familiar result. This is one of those situations. Here if you assume the result, then using the hypothesis, you reach the result ##(a-b)^2 \geqslant 0##, if you let ##a = f(\frac{x}{2})## and ##b = f(\frac{y}{2})##. But now ##(a-b)^2 \geqslant 0## is a familiar result, which is true for all ##(a-b) \in \mathbb{R}## . Now you can work backwards.

Likes songoku
IssacNewton said:
Songoku, when you are asked to prove something, sometimes, its wise to assume the result which you have been asked to prove. And you have both, the hypothesis and the conclusion. And with it, you try to see where does this lead to. Lot of times, this leads to some other familiar result. And then you can work backwards from that familiar result. This is one of those situations. Here if you assume the result, then using the hypothesis, you reach the result ##(a-b)^2 \geqslant 0##, if you let ##a = f(\frac{x}{2})## and ##b = f(\frac{y}{2})##. But now ##(a-b)^2 \geqslant 0## is a familiar result, which is true for all ##(a-b) \in \mathbb{R}## . Now you can work backwards.

Thank you very much for the advice

Related to Proving inequality related to certain property of function

1. How can I prove an inequality related to a certain property of a function?

To prove an inequality related to a certain property of a function, you can use various mathematical techniques such as induction, contradiction, or direct proof. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its properties before choosing the appropriate proof method.

2. Can inequalities be proven using graphs of functions?

Yes, graphs of functions can be used to prove inequalities. By plotting the function and visually examining its behavior, you can determine the validity of the inequality. However, it is important to note that a graph alone may not be sufficient to prove an inequality and should be accompanied by a mathematical proof.

3. Are there any specific properties of functions that can help prove inequalities?

Yes, there are several properties of functions that can help in proving inequalities. These include the monotonicity of a function (whether it is increasing or decreasing), the concavity or convexity of a function, and the symmetry of a function. These properties can be used to manipulate the function and prove the desired inequality.

4. How can I check if my proof of an inequality related to a function is correct?

To check the correctness of your proof, you can use the principle of mathematical induction. This involves checking the base case and then proving that if the inequality holds for a particular value, it also holds for the next value. If both conditions are satisfied, then your proof is considered valid.

5. Is there any software or tool that can help with proving inequalities related to functions?

Yes, there are several mathematical software and tools available that can assist with proving inequalities related to functions. Some popular options include Mathematica, Maple, and MATLAB. These tools have built-in functions and algorithms for manipulating and analyzing functions, making it easier to prove inequalities.