Proving HO Eigenvalues Using Ladder Operators

In summary, the conversation was discussing the harmonic oscillator and how it is fully described by the Hamiltonian and the commutation relations between position and momentum operators. The energy eigenvalues were also discussed, with the formula E_n = (n + 1/2) \hbar ω and the question of whether there are any other eigenvalues was raised. It was suggested that this can be shown using ladder operators and solving a simple differential equation. The spectrum of the Hamiltonian was also mentioned and how it can be set into a bijective correspondence with \mathbb{N}. Finally, the conversation ended with a recommendation for a textbook to study quantum mechanics at a more advanced mathematical level.
Loro
This has already been adressed here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=173896 , but I still didn't get the answer.

The Harmonic Oscillator is fully described (according to my favourite QM book) by the HO Hamiltonian, and the commutation relations between the position and momentum operators.

So starting there, we define the ladder operators and show that the energy eigenvalues are:

[itex] E_n = (n + 1/2) \hbar ω [/itex]
where n is a non-negative integer

I know how to do this.

But how do we know there are no other eigenvalues? Or equivalently - that the corresponding eigenkets form a complete set? Can we show it without any extra assumptions?

I know it can be shown from solving the pde, that all other solutions blow up, but I'd like to do it purely by ladder operators.

Physics news on Phys.org

Here's a way of doing this that only requires solving a single simple differential equation.

Suppose there was an eigenket that was not generated by repeatedly applying the raising operator to the ground state. Repeatedly apply the lowering operator to this new eigenket to get a sequence of more new eigenkets, until you get one that's annihilated by the lowering operator. Write out the differential equation corresponding to a|psi> = 0 and show that it only has one solution--the familiar ground state. Therefore when we repeatedly applied the lowering operator to our "new" eigenket, we eventually got the regular ground state. Therefore we actually could have generated the original eigenket by applying raising operators repeatedly to the ground state.

Indeed! Now I'm totally convinced!

Thanks a lot! :smile:

That the spectrum of the Hamiltonian can be set into a bijective correspondence with [itex] \mathbb{N} [/itex] one can show in a purely algebraic fashion (that is without assuming an a apriori topology on the linear space in which the spectral equation for H is solved). One automatically derives that the linear space contains a countable set of eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian, each of them corresponding to a spectral value. Without resorting to topology, one shows that the spectrum is non-degenerate.

However, QM is made with topological spaces and, as one endows the linear space with a scalar product and makes the completion of it with respect to its associated strong topology, one obtains the following result:

The Hamiltonian when defined on the initial space (the non-completed one) endowed with the strong topology and realized as the space of Schwartz test functions (this realization automatically brings in a new topology which makes the Schwartz space itself a countable Hilbert space) is an essentially self adjoint operator. Its closure with respect to the strong topology is an unbounded self-adjoint operator with the following property deriving from the spectral theorem (Hilbert, von Neumann, Stone): the set of eigenvectors is a countable basis in the Hilbert space, therefore it's maximal.

It's interesting to note that the spectral problem for the Hamiltonian can be solved without resorting to the full Schwartz space rigging of the Hilbert space (thus no need for tempered distributions). The latter is necessary only when the spectral problem for the position and momentum operators is solved.

You know you just did a horrible thing to me? :smile: Wrote an explanation referring to a few mathematical notions that I don't understand, and I wish I could. And it won't leave me alone until I eventually sit down and study them!

Thanks though... :smile:

A good source to study QM at this level of mathematical sophistication is the two-volume textbook by Galindo and Pascual.

Awesome! :smile:

Related to Proving HO Eigenvalues Using Ladder Operators

1. What are ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy levels and transitions of a quantum system. They are represented by matrices, and they allow scientists to calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a quantum system.

2. How do ladder operators help in proving eigenvalues?

Ladder operators allow scientists to manipulate the Hamiltonian of a quantum system, which is a mathematical representation of its energy. By using ladder operators, scientists can show that the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian are related to the energy levels of the system, thereby proving the eigenvalues.

3. Can ladder operators be used for any quantum system?

Yes, ladder operators can be used for any quantum system, as long as the system has a Hamiltonian and a discrete set of energy levels. They are a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics and have been used to study a wide range of systems, including atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles.

4. Are there any limitations to using ladder operators to prove eigenvalues?

One limitation is that ladder operators can only be used for systems with a discrete set of energy levels. They cannot be applied to systems with continuous energy spectra, such as a free particle. Additionally, ladder operators may not always yield the exact eigenvalues of a system, but they can provide a good approximation.

5. How does the proof of eigenvalues using ladder operators relate to real-world applications?

The proof of eigenvalues using ladder operators is essential in understanding the energy levels and transitions of quantum systems. This knowledge has numerous real-world applications, such as in the development of new materials, technologies, and medicines. It is also the basis for many modern technologies, including lasers, transistors, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.