Proving Fermat's principle without calculus?

So the question is rather if Fermat has been aware of Newton's and Leibniz's methods which are nowadays known under the name of calculus. [This is] According to me, the topic must be raised and discussed - how Fermat did it without calculus and what problems he faced since calculus was developed afterwards by Newton and Leibniz.
Nikhil Kumawat
According to me this topic must be raised and discussed how fermat did it without calculus.What problems he faced since calculus was developed afterwards by Newton leibniz.

http://aapt.scitation.org/doi/10.1119/1.1514235

Moderator's edit: File substituted by link due to potential copyright violation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I need help over this topic too...and a clarification over how the series of events went in history..

@Nikhil Kumawat thread is being moved to General Math - the New Member forum is for introductions not questions.

I moved it to Classical Physics as there might be better chances of an answer. Although it is about mathematical techniques, it is a physical law at its heart. The historical aspect of it is also about the history of Snell's law.

@Nikhil Kumawat please remind me to move it back to mathematics in case you won't get answers here. Both subforums are suited, so the question where it belongs to has no unique answer.

The fact, that there was none of our modern notations doesn't imply they haven't had methods to deal with. There have been several wordings around which actually describe the calculations, simply in other terms. I've recently read an original paper from Leonhard Euler about the gamma function and couldn't identify even the function from this. This doesn't affect the fact, that it nevertheless contained the statement which we nowadays write down in a completely different manner.

Last edited:

Related to Proving Fermat's principle without calculus?

1. What is Fermat's principle?

Fermat's principle is a fundamental principle in optics which states that light will travel between two points along the path that takes the least time. This principle is often used to explain the behavior of light in various optical systems.

2. Why is it important to prove Fermat's principle without calculus?

Proving Fermat's principle without calculus provides a more intuitive and fundamental understanding of the principle, as well as a deeper insight into the behavior of light. It also allows for a more general and elegant proof that can be applied to a wider range of optical systems.

3. How can Fermat's principle be proven without using calculus?

Fermat's principle can be proven using the principle of least action from classical mechanics, which states that a system will follow the path that minimizes the total action. By considering the action of light as it travels between two points, we can show that the path that minimizes the action is also the path that takes the least time, thus proving Fermat's principle.

4. What are the advantages of proving Fermat's principle without calculus?

Proving Fermat's principle without calculus allows for a more elegant and general proof that can be applied to a wider range of optical systems. It also provides a deeper understanding of the principle and its implications, as well as a more intuitive approach to understanding the behavior of light.

5. Are there any limitations to proving Fermat's principle without calculus?

While proving Fermat's principle without calculus has many advantages, it may not always be the most practical approach. In some cases, using calculus may be a more efficient or precise method for proving the principle. However, the fundamental understanding and insights gained from proving Fermat's principle without calculus make it a valuable tool for scientists and researchers in the field of optics.