Proving expression is always positive

In summary, Carla was trying to find a way to prove that the function $x^4+4096y^4+450x^2y^2-2304xy^3-36x^3y$ is positive for all positive $x$ and $y$. She found that the condition $x>16y$ is necessary, and that the more general quadratic expression $t^2 - \lambda t + 64$ will always be positive when $t$ is greater than the larger of its two roots, namely $\frac12\bigl(\lambda + \sqrt{\lambda^2 - 256}\bigr).$
Carla1985
I am trying to prove that

$$
x^4+4096y^4+450x^2y^2-2304xy^3-36x^3y
$$

is positive for all positive $x$ and $y$. I also have the condition $x>16y$ though I don't believe this is needed to prove positivity as I've plotted the function for varying $x$ and $y$ and it always seems to be positive. I've tried completing the square etc in a variety of ways but I always seem to be a term out of getting them all positive. I think the closest I've got is

$$
(x^2-18xy+64y^2)^2-2x^2y^2
$$

Could someone look at it please. I think I've been looking at it for too long and am stuck in the methods I'm using.

Thanks
Carla

Physics news on Phys.org
Carla1985 said:
I am trying to prove that

$$
x^4+4096y^4+450x^2y^2-2304xy^3-36x^3y
$$

is positive for all positive $x$ and $y$. I also have the condition $x>16y$ though I don't believe this is needed to prove positivity as I've plotted the function for varying $x$ and $y$ and it always seems to be positive. I've tried completing the square etc in a variety of ways but I always seem to be a term out of getting them all positive. I think the closest I've got is

$$
(x^2-18xy+64y^2)^2-2x^2y^2
$$

Could someone look at it please. I think I've been looking at it for too long and am stuck in the methods I'm using.

Thanks
Carla
If $x=5$ and $y=1$ then $(x^2-18xy+64y^2)^2-2x^2y^2 = (25 - 90 + 64)^2 - 50 = 1-50 = -49 <0,$ so the condition $x > 16y$ is certainly needed.

I think that your expression $(x^2-18xy+64y^2)^2-2x^2y^2$ is a very good start. If we write $t = \dfrac xy$ then we can write it as $y^4f(t)$, where $f(t) = (t^2 - 18t + 64)^2 - 2t^2.$ Factorise that as the difference of two squares: $$f(t) = \bigl(t^2 - (18+\sqrt2)t +64\bigr) \bigl(t^2 - (18-\sqrt2)t +64\bigr).$$ You need to show that both factors are positive when $t>16$.

To do that, I would look at the more general quadratic expression $t^2 - \lambda t + 64$. That expression will always be positive when $t$ is greater than the larger of its two roots, namely $\frac12\bigl(\lambda + \sqrt{\lambda^2 - 256}\bigr).$ You want that root to be less than $16$, and you can check that this will be the case when $\lambda<20$. The numbers $18\pm\sqrt2$ are both less than $20$, so everything fits together nicely!

That's fab, thank you so much.

I'll work though that method. Again, thank you.

Related to Proving expression is always positive

1. What does it mean to prove an expression is always positive?

Proving that an expression is always positive means showing that the result of the expression will never be negative, no matter what values are used for the variables involved.

2. What is the importance of proving an expression is always positive?

Proving an expression is always positive is important in many areas of science, as it ensures that the results obtained from the expression are valid and reliable. It also helps to identify any potential errors or issues in the expression.

3. How can I prove that an expression is always positive?

To prove that an expression is always positive, you can use mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, calculus, or trigonometric identities. You can also use logical reasoning to show that the expression will never result in a negative value.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving an expression is always positive?

One common mistake is assuming that the expression is always positive without proper proof. Another is using incorrect mathematical operations or making errors in calculations. It is also important to consider all possible values of the variables involved in the expression.

5. Can an expression be proven to be always positive without using mathematical techniques?

In some cases, yes. It is possible to use other methods such as induction or contradiction to prove that an expression is always positive. However, mathematical techniques are generally the most reliable and efficient way to prove the positivity of an expression.