Proving Convexity & Estimating Function $f(x)=(1+x)^n$ for $n\in \mathbb{N}$

In summary, we can say that the function $f(x)$ is convex for x $\geq -1$ if and only if $f''(x)\ge 0$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to show that the function $f(x)=(1+x)^n, x\geq -1$ is for $n\in \mathbb{N}$ convex.

So that the function is convex it must hold $f''(x)>0$.

The second derivative is $f''(x)=n(n-1)(1+x)^{n-2}$.
It holds that $n>0$ and $n-1\geq 0$. We also have that $x\geq -1$. Therefore, we get that $f''(x)\geq 0$ for $n\in \mathbb{N}$, or not? (Wondering)

Is there a problem if we have $\geq 0$ instead of $>0$ ? (Wondering)

Or do we have to use the bernoulli inequality or an other way? (Wondering) Then I want to determine the equation of the tangent at $x_0=0$.

The equation of the tangent at $x_0=0$ is $t(x)=f'(0)x+f(0)$.

We have that $f'(x)=n(1+x)^{n-1}$. Therefore we get $$t(x)=nx+1$$ right? (Wondering) Then I want to say what estimate we get for the function $f(x)$ from the above information. What exactly do we have to say here? What is meant by "estimate" ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I want to show that the function $f(x)=(1+x)^n, x\geq -1$ is for $n\in \mathbb{N}$ convex.

So that the function is convex it must hold $f''(x)>0$.

The second derivative is $f''(x)=n(n-1)(1+x)^{n-2}$.
It holds that $n>0$ and $n-1\geq 0$. We also have that $x\geq -1$. Therefore, we get that $f''(x)\geq 0$ for $n\in \mathbb{N}$, or not? (Wondering)

Or do we have to use the bernoulli inequality or an other way? (Wondering) Then I want to determine the equation of the tangent at $x_0=0$.

The equation of the tangent at $x_0=0$ is $t(x)=f'(0)x+f(0)$.

We have that $f'(x)=n(1+x)^{n-1}$. Therefore we get $$t(x)=nx+1$$ right? (Wondering) Then I want to say what estimate we get for the function $f(x)$ from the above information. What exactly do we have to say here? What is meant by "estimate" ? (Wondering)
Showing that $f(x)=(1+x)^n$ is convex for $x\geq -1$ is as good as showing that $g(x)=x^n$ is convex for $x\geq 0$. Now is it easier?

caffeinemachine said:
Showing that $f(x)=(1+x)^n$ is convex for $x\geq -1$ is as good as showing that $g(x)=x^n$ is convex for $x\geq 0$. Now is it easier?

Using the method with the second derivative we have the following:

$$f''(x)=n(n-1)(1+x)^{n-2}\geq 0 \text{ for } x\geq -1 \text{ and } n\in \mathbb{N}$$ right? (Wondering)

Having that $f''(x)\geq 0$, we get that $f$ is convex (but not strictly convex), or not? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

mathmari said:

It means it's convex but not strictly convex.

mathmari said:
We have that $f'(x)=n(1+x)^{n-1}$. Therefore we get $$t(x)=nx+1$$ right? (Wondering)

Then I want to say what estimate we get for the function $f(x)$ from the above information. What exactly do we have to say here? What is meant by "estimate" ? (Wondering)

The function $t(x)=1+nx$ is already an 'estimate' for $f(x)$.
That is, it's not the real function, but it approximates it up to the first degree.
We can get higher order Taylor expansions to get better 'estimates', such as:
$$f(x) \approx 1 + nx + \frac 1{2!}f''(0)x^2 = 1 + nx + \frac 12 n(n-1)x^2$$
This one may be intended, since we already have the information to calculate $f''(0)$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
The function $t(x)=1+nx$ is already an 'estimate' for $f(x)$.
That is, it's not the real function, but it approximates it up to the first degree.
We can get higher order Taylor expansions to get better 'estimates', such as:
$$f(x) \approx 1 + nx + \frac 1{2!}f''(0)x^2 = 1 + nx + \frac 12 n(n-1)x^2$$
This one may be intended, since we already have the information to calculate $f''(0)$. (Thinking)

Ah ok. For the estimate do we use also the information that $f$ is convex? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
mathmari said:
Ah ok. For the estimate do we use also the information that $f$ is convex? (Wondering)

Not really.

If we want we could use the information that $f''(x)\ge 0$, which is what it means for a twice differentiable function to be convex.
To do so we can write the Taylor expansion as:
$$f(x) = 1 + nx + \frac 1{2!} f''(\xi) x^2$$
where $0\le \xi \le x$ (consequence of the mean value theorem).

Since $f''(\xi) \ge 0$ it follows that:
$$f(x) \ge 1 + nx$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Not really.

If we want we could use the information that $f''(x)\ge 0$, which is what it means for a twice differentiable function to be convex.
To do so we can write the Taylor expansion as:
$$f(x) = 1 + nx + \frac 1{2!} f''(\xi) x^2$$
where $0\le \xi \le x$ (consequence of the mean value theorem).

Since $f''(\xi) \ge 0$ it follows that:
$$f(x) \ge 1 + nx$$
(Thinking)

I see! Thank you very much! (Happy)

Related to Proving Convexity & Estimating Function $f(x)=(1+x)^n$ for $n\in \mathbb{N}$

1. What does it mean for a function to be convex?

Convexity is a mathematical property of a function where the line segment connecting any two points on the graph of the function lies above or on the graph itself. In other words, a function is convex if its second derivative is always greater than or equal to 0.

2. How can I prove that a function is convex?

To prove that a function is convex, you can use the definition of convexity and show that the second derivative is always greater than or equal to 0. Another method is to use the first and second derivative tests to check if the function satisfies the necessary conditions for convexity.

3. What is the significance of proving convexity?

Proving convexity is important because it allows us to determine whether a function has a unique global minimum or maximum, and it also helps us in optimization problems where we want to find the minimum or maximum value of a function.

4. How do I estimate the function $f(x)=(1+x)^n$?

To estimate the function $f(x)=(1+x)^n$, you can use the binomial theorem or the Taylor series expansion to approximate the function for a given value of $n$ and $x$. This method allows us to approximate the function with a polynomial of degree $n$.

5. What are some real-life applications of proving convexity and estimating $f(x)=(1+x)^n$?

Proving convexity and estimating $f(x)=(1+x)^n$ are important in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. Some real-life applications include portfolio optimization in finance, designing efficient algorithms in computer science, and determining the stability of physical systems in physics.