Proving Continuity of a Rational Function

Also, for the case of f(x) = sin(2x + 3), you must use the appropriate trigonometric limit identities to show that the limit exists.
Дьявол

Homework Statement

Prove that the function:

[tex]\frac{2x-1}{x^2+1}, x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

is continuous.

Homework Equations

Definition 1.

The function y=f(x) satisfied by the set Df is continuous in the point x=a only if:

10 f(x) is defined in the point x=a i.e. [itex]a \in D_f[/itex]

20 there is bound [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a}f(x)[/tex]

30 [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a}f(x)=f(a)[/tex]

Theorem 1.
If the functions y=f(x) and y=g(x) are continuous in the point x=a Є Df ∩ Dg, then in the point x=a these functions are continuous:
y=f(x)+g(x), y=f(x)g(x) and y=f(x)/g(x), if g(a) ≠ 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the definition 1.

But also this function is composition of two functions f(x) and g(x), so can I use the fact that f(x)=2x-1 and g(x)=x2+1 are continuous, and y=f(x)/g(x), g(a) ≠ 0 since x2+1 ≠ 0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let f(x) = 2x - 1 and g(x) = x^2 + 1. Are f(x) and g(x) continuous functions? Is f(x)/g(x) continuous on it's domain?

Yes, that's what I thought.
But how will I prove for f(x)=x/(x+1), x Є R \ {-1} ?

Do you know (or are allowed to use) the Algebraic Continuity Theorem?

Дьявол said:
Yes, that's what I thought.
But how will I prove for f(x)=x/(x+1), x Є R \ {-1} ?

You can show that f(x) = x/(x + 1) satisfies all three of the conditions you listed in your first post. I.e., a) that f is defined at a (where a != -1, which is not in R \ {-1}), b) lim f(x) as x approaches a exists, and c) lim f(x) = f(a), as x approaches a.

VeeEight said:
Do you know (or are allowed to use) the Algebraic Continuity Theorem?
VeeEight could you please specify on what theorem do you mean? I am supposed to use the definition 1. or theorem 1. in the first post.
Mark44 said:
You can show that f(x) = x/(x + 1) satisfies all three of the conditions you listed in your first post. I.e., a) that f is defined at a (where a != -1, which is not in R \ {-1}), b) lim f(x) as x approaches a exists, and c) lim f(x) = f(a), as x approaches a.
10 f(a)= a/(a+1)

20 [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a}f(x)=\lim_{x \rightarrow a}\frac{x}{x+1}=\frac{\lim_{x \rightarrow a}(x)}{\lim_{x \rightarrow a}(x+1)}=\frac{a}{a+1}[/tex]

30 [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a}f(x)=\frac{a}{a+1}=f(a)[/tex]

Should I prove the other tasks like this?

Because I got:

f(x)=sin(2x+3), x Є R

and

f(x)=ln(x-2), x Є R

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes, except for ln(x - 2), it must be that x > 2.

Related to Proving Continuity of a Rational Function

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a function where the output values change smoothly and gradually as the input values change. This means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function.

2. How can you prove that a function is continuous?

To prove that a function is continuous, you must show that it satisfies the three conditions of continuity: 1) the function is defined at the point in question, 2) the limit of the function as the input approaches the point equals the output at the point, and 3) the limit exists for all points in the function's domain.

3. Why is continuity important in mathematics?

Continuity is important because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about a function without having to know the exact values at every point. It also allows us to use tools such as derivatives and integrals to analyze and solve problems involving continuous functions.

4. Can a function be continuous at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points and not others. For example, a function may be continuous on its entire domain except for one point where there is a discontinuity, such as a removable or jump discontinuity.

5. What is the difference between a continuous function and a differentiable function?

A continuous function is one where the output values change smoothly and gradually as the input values change. A differentiable function is one that has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. While all differentiable functions are continuous, not all continuous functions are differentiable.