Proving Continuity at a Point with Non-Zero Value: A Case Study

• MHB
  • Thread starter FallArk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary: In the case where $f(c)<0$, we can simply change the inequality to $|f(x)-f(c)|>-f(c)$. And the rest of the proof remains the same.In summary, given a function $f$ defined on an open interval $I$ and a point $c \in I$, if $f$ is continuous at $c$ and $f(c) \neq 0$, then there exists an open interval $J \subset I$ containing $c$ such that $f(x) \neq 0$ for any $x \in J$. This can be proven by considering the definition of continuity and setting a specific value for $\epsilon$ based on $f(c)$.
FallArk
Problem: Let $f$ be defined on an open interval $I$, and $c \in I$. Prove that, if $f$ is continuous at $c$ and $f(c) ≠ 0$, then there is an open interval $J \subset I$ such that $c \in J$ and $f(x) ≠ 0$, for any $x \in J$.

I was thinking another function $g$ defined on the subset $J$ and $g = f$, then I can find a way to verify that $g$ is also continuous at $c$. But I am currently stuck on how to prove that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FallArk said:
Problem: Let f be defined on an open interval I, and c ∈ I. Prove that, if f is continuous at c and f(c) ≠ 0, then there is an open interval J ∈ (is a subset, I can't find the symbol) I such that c ∈ J and f(x) ≠ 0, for any x ∈ J.
I was thinking another function g defined on the subset J and g = f, then I can find a way to verify that g is also continuous at c. But I am currently stuck on how to prove that.

Hi FallArk! ;)

Let's take the definition of continuity into account:
$$\lim_{x\to c} f(x) = f(c) \ne 0$$
This means that for any $\epsilon>0$ there exists a $\delta >0$ such that for any $x$ with $|x-c|<\delta$ we have that $|f(x)-f(c)|<\epsilon$.
Let's pick $\epsilon = \frac 12 f(c)$, then $(c-\delta, c+\delta)$ satisfies the requirements for the interval $J$.

That is because any $x$ in that interval has an $f(x)$ that deviates at most $\frac 12 f(c)$ from $f(c)\ne 0$.
Therefore $f(x)\ne 0$ for any such $x$.

I like Serena said:
Let's pick $\epsilon = \frac 12 f(c)$, then $(c-\delta, c+\delta)$ satisfies the requirements for the interval $J$.

That is because any $x$ in that interval has an $f(x)$ that deviates at most $\frac 12 f(c)$ from $f(c)\ne 0$.
Therefore $f(x)\ne 0$ for any such $x$.

It's a great idea, but for this argument to work, $f(c)$ needs to be positive. It's possible to avoid cases by setting $\epsilon = \frac12\lvert f(c)\rvert$, and establish that $\frac12 \lvert f(c)\rvert < \lvert f(x)\rvert < \frac32\lvert f(c)\rvert$ in a subinterval of $I$. In particular, the inequalities imply $f(x)$ is nonzero for all $x$ in that subinterval.

Thank you so much! I knew there was something that the book did not mention, and there it is!

- - - Updated - - -

Euge said:
It's a great idea, but for this argument to work, $f(c)$ needs to be positive. It's possible to avoid cases by setting $\epsilon = \frac12\lvert f(c)\rvert$, and establish that $\frac12 \lvert f(c)\rvert < \lvert f(x)\rvert < \frac32\lvert f(c)\rvert$ in a subinterval of $I$. In particular, the inequalities imply $f(x)$ is nonzero for all $x$ in that subinterval.

so two cases? f(c)>0 and f(c)<0?

FallArk said:
so two cases? f(c)>0 and f(c)<0?

Yes.

Related to Proving Continuity at a Point with Non-Zero Value: A Case Study

1. What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity is that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function as x approaches that point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

2. How do you prove continuity at a point?

To prove continuity at a point, you must show that the limit of the function as x approaches that point is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done by using the epsilon-delta definition of limits.

3. Can a function be continuous at one point but not at another?

Yes, a function can be continuous at one point but not at another. Continuity is determined at each individual point, so a function can be continuous at some points and not at others.

4. How do you prove continuity on an interval?

To prove continuity on an interval, you must show that the function is continuous at every point within that interval. This can be done by using the epsilon-delta definition of limits for each point within the interval.

5. What are some common types of discontinuities?

Some common types of discontinuities include removable discontinuities (where the limit exists but is not equal to the value of the function), jump discontinuities (where the limit from the left and right sides are different), and infinite discontinuities (where the limit approaches positive or negative infinity).