Proving Cauchy Sequence Subsequences

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving that every subsequence of a Cauchy sequence is also a Cauchy sequence. The speaker suggests using the definition of a subsequence and writing down the problem in different terms. They also discuss using software utilities such as WinEdt and TeXnic Center to create PDF files from TeX source files. The conversation ends with a discussion about using the command line to create PDF files and the various format generators available.
clueles
I need help on trying to prove

that every subsequence of a cauchy sequence is a cauchy sequence

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]\{x_{n_{k}}\}[/itex] is a subsequence of {[tex]x_{n}[/tex]}, then for all [tex]k[/tex], [tex]n_{k} \ge k[/tex]. So the '[tex]N[/tex]' that works for {[tex]x_{n}[/tex]} also works for {[tex]x_{n_{k}}[/tex]}

Last edited:
is that how you would write a formal proof or would you the for any epsilon>0 there exists an n in i such that abs(sm-sn)<epsilon

The answer to that depends on the audience. What is your situation?

college level for a real analysis class

Please note the small change I made in the proof. At the undergraduate level, probably the full [tex]\epsilon[/tex] treatment would be best. Are you up to it?

Yes we are up to that part but I'm not sure how to even start it. Do we need to say for all [tex]\epsilon[/tex]> there exists a n,m /geqN such that abs(Snk-Smk)<E?

I'd start with the definition of a subsequence.
Also, always write down the hypothesis (what you know) and what you need to prove:

Let [itex]\{x_{n_k}\}[/itex] be a subsequence of [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex].

You are given that for every [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], there exists an integer N>0, such that:

[tex]m,n > N \Rightarrow |x_n-x_m|<\epsilon[/itex]

You need to prove that for every [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] there exists an integer N>0, such that:

[tex]m_k,n_k > N \Rightarrow |x_{n_k}-x_{m_k}|<\epsilon[/tex]

All I've done is written down the problem in different terms, but the answer is practically staring you in the face (hopefully).

Last edited:
Galileo said:
[itex]\{x_{n_k}\}[/itex]

I'm just starting to use tex and I only know what I see in other people's examples. Your stuff is nice and I learned a lot from it. Do you know of a Windows utility that will take a tex source file and create a pdf file from it?

jimmysnyder said:
I'm just starting to use tex and I only know what I see in other people's examples. Your stuff is nice and I learned a lot from it. Do you know of a Windows utility that will take a tex source file and create a pdf file from it?

Yes, WinEdt will do that for you. I think you have to register it or something. I use it often to create pdf's.
The only advantage of not registering is annoying popup reminders every 15 seconds or so. I actually use a different editor and use only WinEdt for creating the pdf's.

Thanks, I will look into winedt. In the meantime, I found a fairly large package called miktex which has a utility with the unlikely name of pdftex that turns tex into pdf.

TeXnic Center is the IDE that I use in general. It has full TeX-to-pdf capability and is built to work with Miktex as well (it requires a TeX install to work, of course). Free too~

It's a little hard to find these days though (although it is quite popular).

If you want, I can probably find somewhere to host it for a few days. It's only about 5mb.

Last edited:
You don't, as far as I can recall (linux for the last 3 years), need any of those IDE's or such. To use latex on MS you need Miktex installed. That comes with the program pdflatex, I think, that creates the pdf for you. It means learning to love the command line though. just type

pdflatex foo.tex

from inside the directory where foo.tex is stored and it outputs a pdf file for you. The installation also comes with dvips which creates a post script file from the pdf. There are other format generators too, including latex2html, though I've no idea if anyone acutally uses this anymore.

Related to Proving Cauchy Sequence Subsequences

What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers in which the terms become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. In other words, for any positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all the terms are within that distance of each other.

Why is it important to prove the existence of Cauchy sequence subsequences?

Proving the existence of Cauchy sequence subsequences is important because it is a key step in showing that a given sequence converges. This is essential in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in the study of limits, continuity, and convergence of series.

How do you prove the existence of Cauchy sequence subsequences?

The most common method for proving the existence of Cauchy sequence subsequences is by using the Cauchy criterion. This criterion states that a sequence is Cauchy if and only if the terms of the sequence become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. This can be shown through mathematical manipulation and logical reasoning.

What are some real-world applications of Cauchy sequence subsequences?

Cauchy sequence subsequences have many real-world applications, especially in the field of engineering. They are used in signal processing, control theory, and numerical analysis to study the convergence and stability of systems. They are also used in physics, particularly in the study of wave phenomena.

Can a sequence be Cauchy but not converge?

No, a sequence cannot be Cauchy but not converge. This is because the Cauchy criterion is a necessary and sufficient condition for convergence. In other words, if a sequence is Cauchy, it must converge, and if it does not converge, it cannot be Cauchy.