Proving c+1 is an Upper Bound of S with Completeness Axiom

For example, if c>1, then something. If c<1, then something else. If c=1, then yet a third thing. But be careful: 1 is a special number, and you may have to treat it specially.
Päällikkö
Homework Helper
Let
[tex]S = \{x | x \in \mathbb{R}, x \ge 0, x^2 < c\}[/tex]

Show that c + 1 is an upper bound for S and therefore, by the Completeness Axiom, S has a least upper bound that we denote by b.

Pretty much the only tools I've got are the Field Axioms.
I think I'm supposed to do something like:
x2 [itex]\ge[/itex] 0. Thus c > 0.
x2 < c < c + 1

Thus c + 1 is an upper bound.

By the Completeness axiom, S has a least upper bound that we denote by b.

QEDIt can't be just this, can it? I'm totally lost in maths, these things were dealt with ages ago and I still can't quite grasp the logic.

The part "Thus c + 1 is an upper bound" is where I think my logic fails. If this was the way (which I think is not the case) to prove c + 1 was an upper bound, couldn't we just have concluded that c is an upper bound, and thus b exists?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that c is NOT an upper bound of S if c<1!

But in the case of c<1, you'll get that x<1<1+c, i.e, 1+c is an upper bound for S

If c>1, then [itex]x<\sqrt{c}<c<c+1[/itex] and thus, c+1 is an upper bound for S.

Päällikkö said:
Let
[tex]S = \{x | x \in \mathbb{R}, x \ge 0, x^2 < c\}[/tex]

Show that c + 1 is an upper bound for S and therefore, by the Completeness Axiom, S has a least upper bound that we denote by b.

Pretty much the only tools I've got are the Field Axioms.
I think I'm supposed to do something like:
x2 [itex]\ge[/itex] 0. Thus c > 0.
x2 < c < c + 1

Thus c + 1 is an upper bound.

No, you just proved that c+ 1 is larger than x2, not x.
Since, for some x, x2< x, it does not follow that an upper bound on x2 is an upper bound on x.

Try a proof by contradiction. Suppose c+ 1 is NOT an upper bound on S. That is, suppose there is x in S such that x> c+ 1. Now compare
x2 and c.

arildno said:
Remember that c is NOT an upper bound of S if c<1!
But in the case of c<1, you'll get that x<1<1+c, i.e, 1+c is an upper bound for S
If c>1, then [itex]x<\sqrt{c}<c<c+1[/itex] and thus, c+1 is an upper bound for S.
I don't think I can do this, as I have yet to prove that there exists a c, so that x2 = c.

How's this:
x2 < c < (c+1)2
Thus x < c+1

Or by contradiction, maybe:
x > c+1
{ x2 > (c+1)2
{ x2 < c
(c+1)2 > c, so x > c+1 cannot hold.

In an unassisted problem, how do I come up with the upper bound (like the c+1 here)? Just make one up?

c is either less than one, equal to one, or greater than 1.
You can break up your proof in special cases.

Related to Proving c+1 is an Upper Bound of S with Completeness Axiom

1. What is the Completeness Axiom?

The Completeness Axiom is a fundamental concept in mathematics that states that every non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above must have a least upper bound. This essentially means that there is a largest number in the set that is still smaller than any other number in the set.

2. How does the Completeness Axiom relate to proving c+1 as an upper bound of S?

In order to prove that c+1 is an upper bound of set S, we must use the Completeness Axiom to show that there is no number in S that is larger than c+1. This is because if there were a larger number in S, then c+1 would not be the least upper bound of S.

3. What does it mean for c+1 to be an upper bound of S?

An upper bound of a set means that it is greater than or equal to every element in the set. In the context of proving c+1 as an upper bound of S, it means that c+1 is the largest number that is still smaller than any other number in the set.

4. Can c+1 be proven as an upper bound of S without using the Completeness Axiom?

No, the Completeness Axiom is necessary for proving c+1 as an upper bound of S. Without it, we would not have a mathematical basis for determining the least upper bound of a set of real numbers.

5. How does proving c+1 as an upper bound of S relate to real-world applications?

Proving c+1 as an upper bound of S may not have direct real-world applications, but the Completeness Axiom is used in many areas of mathematics, science, and engineering. It allows us to make precise calculations and predictions based on sets of real numbers, which have countless applications in fields such as finance, physics, and computer science.