Proving an Infinite Number of Integer Points on a Level Surface

In summary, for the given function f(x,y)=x2+y2-6xy+8y, the level surface f(x,y)=1 contains infinitely many points (x,y) where x and y are integers. To prove this, one can use the method of completing the square and the concept of Pell sequences to find integer solutions for the equation x^2 - 6xy +y^2 + 8y = 1.
Elize88
Given is the function f: R2 -> R, with f(x,y)=x2+y2-6xy+8y.
The level surface f(x,y)=1 contains infinitely much points (x,y) where x and y
are integer.
How can I prove this?

I see that it is true with some examples, but how can I prove this.
Do I need to use the gradient? Or tangent planes? Or linear algebra?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Elize88 said:
Given is the function f: R2 -> R, with f(x,y)=x2+y2-6xy+8y.
The level surface f(x,y)=1 contains infinitely much points (x,y) where x and y
are integer.
How can I prove this?

I see that it is true with some examples, but how can I prove this.
Do I need to use the gradient? Or tangent planes? Or linear algebra?
Hi Elize, and welcome to MHB!

You want to find integer solutions to the equation $x^2 - 6xy +y^2 + 8y = 1$. I would start by completing the square and writing the equation as $(x - 3y)^2 = 8y^2 - 8y + 1$. If you can find an integer value of $y$ making the right-hand side of that equation a perfect square, say $8y^2 - 8y + 1 = n^2$, then $(x - 3y)^2 = n^2$. So $x = 3y\pm n$, giving you two integer values of $x$ to solve your equation.

But $8y^2 - 8y + 1 = 2(2y-1)^2 - 1$. So we want to find integer solutions of the equation $n^2 = 2(2y-1)^2 - 1$. In other words, we are looking for squares that are equal to twice a square minus $1$. That should get you thinking about http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/pell-sequence-2905.html.

Related to Proving an Infinite Number of Integer Points on a Level Surface

1. How do you prove that there are an infinite number of integer points on a level surface?

There are multiple ways to prove this, but one approach is to use a proof by contradiction. Assume that there are a finite number of integer points on the level surface. Then, using the fact that the surface is continuous, we can show that there must be a point with non-integer coordinates. This contradicts our initial assumption and thus proves that there must be an infinite number of integer points on the level surface.

2. Can you give an example of a level surface with an infinite number of integer points?

One example is the unit circle on the Cartesian plane. This circle has an infinite number of integer points, including (0,1), (1,0), (-1,0), (0,-1), (2,0), (-2,0), etc.

3. Are there any level surfaces that do not have an infinite number of integer points?

Yes, there are some level surfaces that do not have an infinite number of integer points. For example, a straight line or a parabola with non-integer coefficients will only have a finite number of integer points.

4. Is it possible for a level surface to have an infinite number of integer points in one direction but not in another?

Yes, this is possible. For example, a plane that is defined as x+y+z=0 will have an infinite number of integer points in the x-y plane (since z=-x-y), but a finite number of integer points in the z direction.

5. Can you prove that there are an infinite number of integer points on a level surface using mathematical induction?

Yes, it is possible to use mathematical induction to prove this. The base case would be to show that there is at least one integer point on the level surface. Then, assuming that there are n integer points on the surface, we can show that there must be n+1 integer points by considering the next integer in the sequence. This proves that there are an infinite number of integer points on the level surface.