Why is d<xp>/dt = (i/hbar)<[H,xp]> = 0 for a stationary state?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in Liboff's text "Introductory Quantum Mechanics - 3rd Ed." on page 176, which involves showing that in a stationary state, (1/2) <x dV/dx > = <T>, where T is the kinetic energy of the particle. The answer is given in the text but starts off with an equation that raises the question, "why is d<xp>/dt = (i/hbar)<[H,xp]> = 0 for a stationary state?" The answer is that for a stationary state, the expectation value for any operator is constant in time, leading to the conclusion that d<A>/dt = <i/hbar [H,A] +
pmb
There's a problem in Liboff's text "Introductory Quantum Mechanics - 3rd Ed."

On page 176 problem 6.12 states

"A particle moving in one dimension interacts with a potential V(x). In a stationary state of this system show that

(1/2) <x dV/dx > = <T>

where T = p^2/2m is the kinetic energy of the particle."

Liboff gives the answer but starts off with

"In a stationary state,

d<xp>/dt = (i/hbar)<[H,xp]> = 0
..."

Why? I.e. why is d<xp>/dt = (i/hbar)<[H,xp]> = 0 for a stationary state?

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by pmb
Why? I.e. why is d<xp>/dt = (i/hbar)<[H,xp]> = 0 for a stationary state?

Look up the Heisenberg equation of motion for operators. The equation is:

dO/dt=(i/hbar)[H,O]+&part;O/&part;t

for any operator O. Evidently, x and p have no explicit time dependence in your problem so the partial with respect to t is zero. The derivation should be in your book, but the basic reason is that the Hamiltonian is the generator of time translations, and so you would expect it to be closely associated with the time evolution of operators.

Originally posted by Tom
Look up the Heisenberg equation of motion for operators. The equation is:

dO/dt=(i/hbar)[H,O]+&part;O/&part;t

for any operator O. Evidently, x and p have no explicit time dependence in your problem so the partial with respect to t is zero. The derivation should be in your book, but the basic reason is that the Hamiltonian is the generator of time translations, and so you would expect it to be closely associated with the time evolution of operators.

{Note: Liboff is is a quick review for me for the summer so I've bneen through this before - but 10 years ago. We used Cohen-Tannoudji in grad school - both semesters - so I'm brushing up to jump into that}

What you've said is in a way related to this section in a certain sense - this was a section on the relation

d<A>/dt = <i/hbar [H,A] +&part;A/&part;t>

In this case A = xp. Th partial drops out and we're left with

d<ap>/dt = i/hbar <[H,xp]>

But Liboff sets that to zero - why?

Pete

Originally posted by pmb
d<ap>/dt = i/hbar <[H,xp]>

But Liboff sets that to zero - why?

OK, now I understand your question. He sets it to zero because you are looking at an expecation value, which for stationary states does not evolve in time (by definition of "stationary state"). Take away the < > brackets, and you do not necessarily get zero.

Originally posted by Tom
OK, now I understand your question. He sets it to zero because you are looking at an expecation value, which for stationary states does not evolve in time (by definition of "stationary state"). Take away the < > brackets, and you do not necessarily get zero.
'

Ahhh! The expectation for any operator for a stationary state is a constant in time!

Okay - Thanks. I get it now. Duh! :-) I can't see why I missed that now. Thanks Tom

Pete

1. What is the problem in quantum mechanics?

The main problem in quantum mechanics is the fact that the behavior of particles at the subatomic level cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy. Unlike classical mechanics, where the position and momentum of an object can be determined at any given time, the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that the more precisely we know one property of a particle, the less precisely we can know another related property. This inherent uncertainty makes it difficult to fully understand and describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How does quantum mechanics challenge our understanding of reality?

Quantum mechanics challenges our understanding of reality by introducing concepts such as superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and entanglement, where particles can be connected and influence each other's behavior even when separated by large distances. These concepts go against our everyday experiences and the laws of classical physics, leading to a fundamental shift in our understanding of the nature of reality.

3. What are some applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous applications in technology, such as in the development of quantum computers, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. It has also been used in fields like medicine, biology, and chemistry to better understand the behavior of molecules and atoms. In addition, quantum mechanics has led to advances in materials science, with the creation of new materials with unique properties that can only be explained by quantum mechanics.

4. What are some current challenges in solving problems in quantum mechanics?

One of the main challenges in solving problems in quantum mechanics is the lack of a unified theory that can fully explain all aspects of quantum behavior. The two most widely accepted theories, the Copenhagen interpretation and the Many-Worlds interpretation, have limitations and do not fully address all the paradoxes and complexities of quantum mechanics. Additionally, the mathematical equations used in quantum mechanics can be extremely complex and difficult to solve, making it challenging to predict and understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How do scientists approach solving problems in quantum mechanics?

Scientists approach solving problems in quantum mechanics by using mathematical models and experimental evidence to test and refine theories. They also use advanced technologies and techniques, such as quantum computers and particle accelerators, to study and manipulate particles at the quantum level. Collaboration and open-mindedness are also important in this field, as scientists often work together to tackle complex problems and explore different interpretations of quantum mechanics.