Proving an Inequality: Understanding α - 2β < 0 with β > α

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about inequalities and proving that for two positive numbers, α and β, if β is greater than α, then α - 2β will always be less than zero. Various proofs were proposed, including using bank accounts and manipulating the inequality to show that it is always true.
Bashyboy
Hello,

I am given that β > α, which can be written as β - α > 0. What justification would I have to use in order to conclude that α - 2β < 0, given that the preceding propositions are true? Could someone possibly help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Hello,

I am given that β > α, which can be written as β - α > 0. What justification would I have to use in order to conclude that α - 2β < 0, given that the preceding propositions are true? Could someone possibly help me?

This is not necessarily true: if α = -3 and β = -2 we have α < β but 2β < α.

Anyway, you are supposed to show your work.

This isn't actually a homework problem. It was something I came across and found curious, when I was drawing the slopes fields of a differential equation.

I also forgot to mention that alpha and beta are both positive.

Note: I can not provide my attempt at solving this problem, for I never did attempt at solving it; the reason being, that I do not know enough about inequalities to solve this problem. As I said, this is not a homework problem, it is a side-tracking.

So, to re-phrase the question. You have two positive numbers. You start with the smaller one and subtract twice the larger one and you want to prove that the answer is less than zero?

PeroK, if I read your sentences correctly, yes that is what I would like to prove, rather, I would like to know how to prove, as I have never done any proves involving inequalities.

α > 0 and β > 0, and β > α, and I would like to know if we can conclude that α - 2β < 0.

Bashyboy said:
PeroK, if I read your sentences correctly, yes that is what I would like to prove, rather, I would like to know how to prove, as I have never done any proves involving inequalities.

α > 0 and β > 0, and β > α, and I would like to know if we can conclude that α - 2β < 0.

Well, if you had $α in the bank. And you withdrew $β. Then you withdrew $β again. Do you think you might be overdrawn? If β > α.

I think there might be a misunderstanding. I understand that statement α - 2β < 0 is true; I am looking for a little more mathematically rigorous proof of the fact.

Bashyboy said:
I think there might be a misunderstanding. I understand that statement α - 2β < 0 is true; I am looking for a little more mathematically rigorous proof of the fact.

What about:

α - 2β = α - β - β < α - β (as β > 0) < 0 (as α < β)

I think if you take a step back and examine PeroK's last post (edit: the one talking about bank accounts), you might find that it is VERY suggestive of a proof. Very suggestive.

Actually, I like this proof better:

α < β => α < 2β => α - 2β < 0

PeroK said:
Actually, I like this proof better:

α < β => α < 2β => α - 2β < 0

You have assumed what he is trying to prove: he want to show that for a,b >0, a < b => a < 2b.

Ray Vickson said:
You have assumed what he is trying to prove: he want to show that for a,b >0, a < b => a < 2b.

What about:

α < β => α < β + β => α < 2β => α - 2β < 0

I guess it's not that obvious that 2β = β + β. Hopefully that repairs the proof.

Related to Proving an Inequality: Understanding α - 2β < 0 with β > α

1. What is "Proof of an Inequality"?

Proof of an inequality is a mathematical process that involves using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to show that a statement or equation is true for all possible values within a given set. Inequalities are used to compare two quantities and determine which is larger or smaller.

2. How is "Proof of an Inequality" different from "Proof of an Equation"?

The main difference between proof of an inequality and proof of an equation is that inequalities involve comparing two quantities, while equations involve finding the value of a variable or set of variables that makes the equation true. Inequalities also use symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥, while equations use an equal sign (=).

3. What types of inequalities can be proven?

There are several types of inequalities that can be proven, including linear inequalities (e.g. 2x + 3 > 7), quadratic inequalities (e.g. x^2 + 5x + 6 < 0), and absolute value inequalities (e.g. |x+2| < 5). Inequalities can also involve multiple variables and can be proven using various methods such as algebraic manipulation, graphing, and logical reasoning.

4. Why is it important to prove an inequality?

Proving an inequality is important because it allows us to show that a statement or equation is true for all possible values within a given set. This provides a solid mathematical foundation for making conclusions and decisions based on the given inequality. It also helps to ensure that the inequality is not just a coincidence or assumption, but is supported by logical reasoning and mathematical evidence.

5. What are some common techniques used in "Proof of an Inequality"?

Some common techniques used in proof of an inequality include algebraic manipulation, substitution, and logical reasoning. Graphing and using real-life examples can also be helpful in visualizing and understanding inequalities. Additionally, various mathematical properties and rules such as the distributive property, order of operations, and the transitive property can be used to prove inequalities.