Proving an exponential function obeys the wave equation

In summary: This is the way of physicists =)In summary, by differentiating the given function with respect to x and t and using the chain rule, we can see that it satisfies the wave equation. However, there was an error in the second derivative with respect to x, as the first "u" was not differentiated.
LiamG_G

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]y(x,t)=De^{-(Bx-Ct)^{2}}[/itex] obeys the wave equation

Homework Equations

The wave equation:
[itex]\frac{d^{2}y(x,t)}{dx^{2}}=\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{d^{2}y(x,t)}{dt^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1: [itex]y(x,t)=De^{-u^{2}}; \frac{du}{dx}=B; \frac{du}{dt}=-C[/itex]
2: [itex]\frac{dy(x,t)}{dx}=-2uBDe^{-u^{2}};

\frac{d^{2}y(x,t)}{dx^{2}}=4u^{2}B^{2}De^{-u^{2}}[/itex]
3: [itex]\frac{dy(x,t)}{dt}=2uCDe^{-u^{2}};

\frac{d^{2}y(x,t)}{dt^{2}}=4u^{2}C^{2}De^{-u^{2}}[/itex]
Then I'm stuck, I think I might have done something wrong but I can't see what.
I think v=C (from (x-vt)) and that would cancel the [itex]C^{2}[/itex] when I substitute into the wave equation, but then I would be left with a [itex]B^{2}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The C in the exponent is not the speed of the wave. It has dimensions of s^(-1).
The speed of the wave will be a function of C and D. Which you can find from the equation.

also, the equation
[tex]\frac{dy(x,t)}{dx}=-2uBDe^{-u^{2}}[/tex]
is correct, but the next equation
[tex]\frac{d^{2}y(x,t)}{dx^{2}}=4u^{2}B^{2}De^{-u^{2}}[/tex]
is not correct. It looks like you've done the derivative of the exponential, but what about the ##u## (in the previous equation), doesn't it depend on x also?

Sorry it has taken so long. I will come back to this question I'm just in the middle of moving right now :S
Thanks for replies :)

no worries :) hope the move goes well

LiamG_G said:

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]y(x,t)=De^{-(Bx-Ct)^{2}}[/itex] obeys the wave equation

Homework Equations

The wave equation:
[itex]\frac{d^{2}y(x,t)}{dx^{2}}=\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{d^{2}y(x,t)}{dt^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1: [itex]y(x,t)=De^{-u^{2}}; \frac{du}{dx}=B; \frac{du}{dt}=-C[/itex]
2: [itex]\frac{dy(x,t)}{dx}=-2uBDe^{-u^{2}};

\frac{d^{2}y(x,t)}{dx^{2}}=4u^{2}B^{2}De^{-u^{2}}[/itex]
You did not differentiate the first "u". It should be
[itex]\frac{\partial y(x,t)}{\partial x}= -2B^2De^{-u^2}- u^2B^2De^{-u^2}[/itex]

3: [itex]\frac{dy(x,t)}{dt}=2uCDe^{-u^{2}};

\frac{d^{2}y(x,t)}{dt^{2}}=4u^{2}C^{2}De^{-u^{2}}[/itex]

Then I'm stuck, I think I might have done something wrong but I can't see what.
I think v=C (from (x-vt)) and that would cancel the [itex]C^{2}[/itex] when I substitute into the wave equation, but then I would be left with a [itex]B^{2}[/itex]

I know that you;re supposed to differentiate like crazy to get to the expected solution, but you can surprise your professor if you make the following change of variables in your PDE: x-vt = u; x+vt = v. Then you can fully solve the original PDE and make certain simplifying assumptions to find the function you're given in the statement.

Related to Proving an exponential function obeys the wave equation

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function where the independent variable appears in the exponent. It can be written in the form y = ab^x, where a is the initial value, b is the base or growth factor, and x is the independent variable.

2. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves in physics and engineering. It is a second-order partial differential equation that relates the spatial and temporal variations of a wave.

3. How does an exponential function relate to the wave equation?

An exponential function obeys the wave equation because it describes the behavior of a wave with a constant growth or decay rate. The exponent in the function represents the spatial and temporal variations of the wave, while the base represents the amplitude or intensity of the wave.

4. Can you prove that an exponential function obeys the wave equation?

Yes, it is possible to prove that an exponential function obeys the wave equation mathematically. This can be done by substituting the exponential function into the wave equation and showing that it satisfies the equation.

5. What are some real-life examples of exponential functions obeying the wave equation?

Real-life examples of exponential functions obeying the wave equation include the propagation of light and sound waves, the growth of populations, and the decay of radioactive materials. These phenomena can be described by exponential functions and their behavior can be explained using the wave equation.