Proving an equation using Properties of Determinants

In summary, to prove an equation using properties of determinants, both sides of the equation must have the same determinant value. This can be achieved by manipulating the matrices involved using properties such as scalar multiplication, row operations, and expansion by minors. These properties can be used to prove any type of equation involving determinants, as long as both sides have the same number of rows and columns. It is important to note that the equation must solely involve determinants and no other operations. This method is significant in verifying equations, understanding determinants, and solving complex problems in various fields.
harshakantha
Hello guys I've asked to prove following equation on determinants, here it is;

Using the properties of determinants & without expanding prove that,

see attachment,

I need to verify my answer can some one tell me whether is this correct or not?:smile:

Attachments

• pic1.png
    pic1.png
    13 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
Right, and btw, nice answer .I'd do by the easy determinant way

jaumzaum said:
Right, and btw, nice answer .I'd do by the easy determinant way

So why don't u tell me the easyest way??:wink:

Related to Proving an equation using Properties of Determinants

1. How do you prove an equation using properties of determinants?

To prove an equation using properties of determinants, you need to show that both sides of the equation have the same determinant value. This can be done by manipulating the matrices involved using the properties of determinants, such as scalar multiplication, row operations, and expansion by minors.

2. What are the properties of determinants that can be used to prove an equation?

Some common properties of determinants that can be used to prove an equation include:
- Scalar multiplication: multiplying a row or column of a determinant by a constant also multiplies the determinant by that constant
- Row operations: adding a multiple of one row to another row does not change the value of the determinant
- Expansion by minors: expanding a determinant along any row or column will result in the same value

3. Can properties of determinants be used to prove any type of equation?

Yes, properties of determinants can be used to prove any type of equation involving determinants, as long as both sides of the equation have the same number of rows and columns. However, it may not always be the most efficient method, as it can be time-consuming for larger matrices.

4. How do you know if an equation can be proven using properties of determinants?

An equation can be proven using properties of determinants if both sides of the equation have the same number of rows and columns, and if the matrices involved are square matrices (same number of rows and columns). Additionally, the equation must involve only determinants and no other operations.

5. What is the importance of proving equations using properties of determinants?

Proving equations using properties of determinants is important in various fields of mathematics and sciences, as it allows for the verification of equations and the manipulation of matrices. It also helps in understanding the behavior of determinants and their properties, which can be applied in solving more complex problems.